Featured Posts

Hiya all,

We have now got our shell,l spray-foamed and ready to fit out. It's all quite hillarious really - we're hoping to live at one end whilst we fit out the other end, in FOUR WEEKS TIME!!! Ha ha!!!

Anyway, enough about my potential nervous breakdown, I've done a little bit of research and from what I can gather, if we choose to sell our boat within five years then it needs to be RCD compliant. Does this mean we don't need to be RCD compliant if we sell it after five years?

Thank you very much in advance for the consistant help and opinions from this very lively forum.

Hiya all,

We have now got our shell,l spray-foamed and ready to fit out. It's all quite hillarious really - we're hoping to live at one end whilst we fit out the other end, in FOUR WEEKS TIME!!! Ha ha!!!

Anyway, enough about my potential nervous breakdown, I've done a little bit of research and from what I can gather, if we choose to sell our boat within five years then it needs to be RCD compliant. Does this mean we don't need to be RCD compliant if we sell it after five years?

Thank you very much in advance for the consistant help and opinions from this very lively forum.

I quite thought that this was going to be another electrical saga. Residual Current Device. :rolleyes:

Nick

I've done a little bit of research and from what I can gather, if we choose to sell our boat within five years then it needs to be RCD compliant. Does this mean we don't need to be RCD compliant if we sell it after five years?

Yes, that's right, if you don't plan to sell within 5 years you can just stick to BSS regs which is what I'm doing. This is to allow self-builds/fitouts and the 5 year ruling prevents professional builders from avoiding CE marking (RCD compliance). Your builder was not able to achieve full compliance because the boat was sold as a sailaway but you should have received an RCD Annex 3 Decaration of Conformity (for partially completed craft) with your boat, which covers you for the first year.

There is talk of CE marked boats being worth more and insurance companies not accepting non-CE marked boats but I've seen no evidence of this & in my opinion it's all b*ll*cks & nothing more than scaremongering by interested parties. I've written to the BSS and there are no plans to scrap the scheme. They also agreed to review their own guidance which for some rea£on is biased in favour CE marking.

However, there are a couple of boats at our mooring - one 2004 build which was bought last summer, and the other a 2006 build which is now up for sale, neither of which I believe are CE marked, so it seems some buyers & sellers are either ignorant of, or just ignoring the issue.

Edited by blackrose

... so it seems some buyers & sellers are either ignorant of, or just ignoring the issue.

of course there isn't an issue until someone brings the attention of the local Trading Standards Officer to the matter, and it is hard to see them getting very interested in a private sale. But I'm doing the full RCD anyway.

as to the concept of living aboard while you fit out - my boat has been chokka with stuff that I have to constantly move around while I fit out - and it's a wide beam. I suggest at the minimum you would need a good weatherproof storage shed next to the boat if you are serious.

Edited by chris polley

Thank you for the constuctive comments (the unconstructive comments were... actually I'll stay out of this, although it would be nice if everyone would play nicely.)

We have sorted some storage space out so hopefully fitting out whilst living aboard won't be too tough. Just need to hope the baby I'm growing at the moment doesn't decide to come any earlier than August as estimated! (I wondered how long it would be before I told the forum I was pregnant - I'm very excited!!!!)

Won't bother with RCD, too much at the moment.

Thank you for the constuctive comments (the unconstructive comments were... actually I'll stay out of this, although it would be nice if everyone would play nicely.)

We have sorted some storage space out so hopefully fitting out whilst living aboard won't be too tough. Just need to hope the baby I'm growing at the moment doesn't decide to come any earlier than August as estimated! (I wondered how long it would be before I told the forum I was pregnant - I'm very excited!!!!)

Won't bother with RCD, too much at the moment.

Congratulations, and look at it this way, going by the little spat higher up this thread when your baby is old enough to toss his/her dummy out of the pram he/she won't be on their own.

david

all the best with your plans. I hope you are substantially fitted out before the wain decides to arrive.

PS I hesitate to open this thread now because it's like, poisoned. Shame. I wish the contestants would take their game off line.

PS I hesitate to open this thread now because it's like, poisoned. Shame. I wish the contestants would take their game off line.

While I suppose that, as this is an open forum, contributors can say what they like, is there any way that these :banned: posts can be removed once the individuals concerned have had time for a "frank exchange of views"? People searching for help or information weeks or months in the future will have to sift through these, by then, totally irrelevant conversations.

I don't see why, for instance, this post should remain in a thread about the RCD once the point has been made. Can I remove it in a few days time?

Rick :o

Edited by Rick-n-Jo

all the best with your plans. I hope you are substantially fitted out before the wain decides to arrive.

I have deleted a number of offensive and :banned: posts from this thread. The discussions may continue (but I will remove any further posts which are inappropriate)

Allan

The bottom line with the RCD is do you think it does any good?

The builders hands are tied legally without they choose to exploit it to increase profits by not complying. (Which is a criminal offence.)

The self builder stands little chance of being prosecuted if he sells the boat within the first five years and is legally allowed to do so after that time.

So why don't we just tell Europe to stuff the RCD and live with the BSS?

I quite thought that this was going to be another electrical saga. Residual Current Device. :banned:

Ive filled in the topic description to remove the possable confusion between RCD and RCD. (which i had also made) and make it easyer for following members to find the thread.

Daniel

The bottom line with the RCD is do you think it does any good?

The builders hands are tied legally without they choose to exploit it to increase profits by not complying. (Which is a criminal offence.)

The self builder stands little chance of being prosecuted if he sells the boat within the first five years and is legally allowed to do so after that time.

So why don't we just tell Europe to stuff the RCD and live with the BSS?

I think I'm of that opinion!!!! Stuff 'em!!! As you can see I've got enough going on in my life!

Well...........

I am aware of 7,

yes 7 new shells which do not have any HIN no`s, No Builders plate......

And certainly no paperwork!!!!!

A friend is a full time shell fitter, who buys sailaways from several sources (subsequently selling the fully fitted boat)

He is frequently/usually asked to "grind off the numbers.."

Before anyone asks or PM`s I have no intention of revealing further details to anyone but note the word several!

But whilst no one polices the regs, no one has the teeth/bottle to take on dodgy shell suppliers (or fully fitted boat suppliers) what can you expect?

I am aware of members of the forum who are squeeky clean..........

They must get very depressed.........

Its almost like the "wanna buy a watch" scenario!!!!!!!!!!!

............. shells which do not have any HIN no`s, No Builders plate......

And certainly no paperwork!!!!!

A friend is a full time shell fitter, who buys sailaways from several sources (subsequently selling the fully fitted boat)

He is frequently/usually asked to "grind off the numbers.."

am I very thick or summat?

(RHETORICAL QUESTION - NO NEED TO ANSWER ........... :banned: )

why would they want to do that? who would ask that - customers, builders ....... ? :o

To be honest, the only time I hear RCD's and 5 year rules mentioned are on this forum. When I talk to people on the cut, at the marina etc., they seem to know or care little about such things. I have seen numerous boats sell within the 5 year farce. I suspect the use of red diesel will be much the same. Most people on the cut don't seem to be aware of any pending changes.

To be honest, the only time I hear RCD's and 5 year rules mentioned are on this forum. When I talk to people on the cut, at the marina etc., they seem to know or care little about such things. I have seen numerous boats sell within the 5 year farce. I suspect the use of red diesel will be much the same. Most people on the cut don't seem to be aware of any pending changes.

What I find funny is how the forum seems full of posts condoning dodging all sorts of rules until the dreaded bridgehoppers are mentioned. Even not licensing your boat seems to be ok these days (as long as it's only a little one).

What I find funny is how the forum seems full of posts condoning dodging all sorts of rules until the dreaded bridgehoppers are mentioned. Even not licensing your boat seems to be ok these days (as long as it's only a little one).

I'm not condoning it, just telling of my experiences when talking to people on the cut. I would prefer it if you didn't quote my post thus.

Edited by Guest

Interesting this, funny how trading standards were totally disinterested in a professionally built NB which apparently did not comply with the RCD rules. (as reported recently on this site)

I understand that RCD is self checking for class D boats, does this not apply to self builders?

Re the deleted posts earlier in the thread, I didn't see them so was initially a bit confused with some of the posts. Wouldn't it be a good idea to leave these offensive posts in place so we can all identify the culprits for future reference? Or delete the post but leave the header? We'll all know who the tossers are then won't we?