Newbie Boater: Quick Bmc 1500 Question

Featured Posts

Hi there, I risk being labeled as totally stupid but would like to be sure rather than make mistakes.

I Purchased some morris golden film oil and will be changing her oil over the weekend, though have spotted a hand pump on the engine. Can anybody confirm that it's purpose is to remove the oil from engine?

Wish there was an idiots guide to bmc 1500 engines. ?

Also, would like to change the oil filter but have been informed there are two varieties... How would one tell which one is used?

Thank you soo much for any guidance.

Andreas

Hi there, I risk being labeled as totally stupid but would like to be sure rather than make mistakes.

I Purchased some morris golden film oil and will be changing her oil over the weekend, though have spotted a hand pump on the engine. Can anybody confirm that it's purpose is to remove the oil from engine?

Wish there was an idiots guide to bmc 1500 engines.

Also, would like to change the oil filter but have been informed there are two varieties... How would one tell which one is used?

Thank you soo much for any guidance.

Andreas

Follow the tube that comes out from the bottom of the pump. It should lead to the engines sump plug. Some have a branch with a two way tap so the pump can drain either the engines oil or the gearbox but that set up is fairly rare. A cartridge oil filter will be in a thick steel bowl with a bolt head to remove it on the bottom. A spin on filter has a thin casing with the filter name and or numbers on it and no bolt head sticking out the bottom.

If it looks like this:

18326245603_7834aafe7c_z.jpg139326

It is most likely to to be said pump. Trace the flexible pipe at the bottom and confirm it goes to the engine sump. It should also have a butterfly valve at the base of the pump whose purpose is to stop oil escaping when the engine is running.

When you drain the oil run the engine for about 20 mins to make sure the oil is hot, However be careful you don't burn your hands or other bits. When you do this I would suggest putting oil absorbent mats or nappies in the engine bilge as the oil has a tendency to get every where, with me it does.

ETA another photo, a BMC showing the butterfly valve I mentioned above:

18324523944_1c50f4e9b8_z.jpg

Niether of these photo's is of my engine BTW, I have a Lister Petter LPWS 3

Edited by Ray T

If the oil filter is not a spin off type then unbolt the whole filter casing off and then change the filter. This ensures that the new filter and sealing rings are seated properly otherwise you may loose all the new oil when the engine is running.

Thank you Ray T and Bizzard. L

Looking forward to giving her a little lease of life with the new oil.

Will check the filter when I get back, pretty sure it's the cartridge one.

Thanks for the extra tip too, would have done it cold. ?

Have great week guys!

If the oil filter is not a spin off type then unbolt the whole filter casing off and then change the filter. This ensures that the new filter and sealing rings are seated properly otherwise you may loose all the new oil when the engine is running.

Oh right... So would be better to change filter before oil? Or just make sure to remove whole thing, is ok enough

Thanks T.B.B(Waits)

So would be better to change filter before oil? Or just make sure to remove whole thing, is ok enough

Thanks T.B.B(Waits)

Run the engine to get the oil warm (not hot - it will eventually get to around 100 degrees C).

Then drain the oil from the engine.

Then change the filter.

Then refill with oil, taking care to initially fill it to the halfway mark on the dipstick.

Then run the engine and immediately check for leaks.

Then wait 10 minutes, check oil level again and top up to not more than the maximum mark on the dipstick.

Edited for phat phingers.

Edited by cuthound

Some further tips:

• put a large flattish plastic container under the engine to catch the drips when you take the filter off. A Quality Street container works well, though you do have to eat all the chocolates first.
  • Opinion seems divided as to whether one should use engine flush when changing the oil - I do, and add it before running the engine for 15 mins to warm up the oil.
  • one of the valves is sticking inside my pump. I have found sticking a hose on the end and blowing hard seems to do the trick. Once it starts pumping all is well...
  • smear some oil on the seal on the filter before you spin it on.

This link gives an illustration of the two different types of oil filter used on the BMC 1500. It refers to changing the engine oil in an MGB. The petrol engine used in the car and the diesel engine in the boat are based on the same core engine. The filter bit is relevant, the bit about draining the oil using the sump plug isn't - that's what the hand pump is for.

http://www.mgexp.com/article/mgoc-basic-1.html

Edited by Chalky