Petrol v LPG converted generator

Daiboy

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have a Hyundai 3kw petrol generator and after the Crick show, I am seriously thinking of getting a conversion kit to LPG.

Does anyone have any knowledge, pros or cons against conversion. I realise the first pro is no more petrol storage on the boat and the need for looking for a petrol station to fill up. I have been quoted around £200 for the conversion kit which I think is pretty reasonable which will include all pipes, regulator and gas controller.

Any comments please.

help.gif

I went down this route with a Honda 2.

Kept a log and compared the difference. Apart from the noise level dropping ever so slightly, there was in honesty no monetary gain from converting to gas. Yeh, it was easier than looking for garages, I'll admit that.

I'm back to using petrol.

Another plus, is that the generator can be stored, in more places, due to there being no fuel in it, I have one stored above the batteries/engine. Petrol would fail the BSS.

Gas is easier to obtain than petrol, on the water.

Get a good length of chain, and padlock, and use them every time!

Bod

Honda EU2 converted to L.P.G.

Can't speak about generators but several of my colleagues have cars converted to run off LPG. Their main comments are that the oil stays a lot cleaner so doesn't need to be services as often and that starting is a lot better since no choke is needed. The down side is that the car is down on power. The LPG is about the same as 100 octane petrol (higher than super unleaded) however the engine doesn't take advantage of it. It can be modified to get more power...

Can't speak about generators but several of my colleagues have cars converted to run off LPG. Their main comments are that the oil stays a lot cleaner so doesn't need to be services as often and that starting is a lot better since no choke is needed. The down side is that the car is down on power. The LPG is about the same as 100 octane petrol (higher than super unleaded) however the engine doesn't take advantage of it. It can be modified to get more power...

But they are not buying it in 13Kg bottles

I spoke to Honda UK's technical dept about this several years ago. Apparently running on lpg will mean slightly less lubrication and also a hotter cylinder head so more frequent servicing. Honda said if the cause of any problem was found to be a lpg conversion their 5 year warranty would be void. I can't vouch for the veracity of any of this, just repeating what they told me. Also a friend who converted told me it was harder to start his generator.

Having a dealer supplied KIpor generator with LPG conversion from new, I cannot comment on running on petrol. I surmise that the power output is a little less since it seems to struggle initially with high loads close to max rated output. Have read all the comments on higher running temperatures and lack of valve stem lubrication, but can only say I have seen nothing alarming in this area. Regarding starting, it requires more pulls on starter cord than I'm lead to believe on petrol, but always starts on fifth or sixth pull without exception.

Having a dealer supplied KIpor generator with LPG conversion from new, I cannot comment on running on petrol. I surmise that the power output is a little less since it seems to struggle initially with high loads close to max rated output. Have read all the comments on higher running temperatures and lack of valve stem lubrication, but can only say I have seen nothing alarming in this area. Regarding starting, it requires more pulls on starter cord than I'm lead to believe on petrol, but always starts on fifth or sixth pull without exception.

If you adjust the screw on the regulator by a quarter of a turn clockwise or anti clockwise, it will start easier. Experiment a little, but only in quarter turns.

i did extensive tests with our Honda EU26i and found there was minimal difference between gas and petrol.

Gas is easier to store and source no more walking miles for petrol, took a hit for the £175 that the kit cost but is alot easier now.

yes it's true if you convert to gas yourself it voids the warrenty, i wouldn't say it was any harder to start tho and don't seem to be running any hotter than on petrol.

If you adjust the screw on the regulator by a quarter of a turn clockwise or anti clockwise, it will start easier. Experiment a little, but only in quarter turns.

Thanks for advice. My suppliers Sail & Trail honestly pointed out that they had never improved on the starting number of pulls compared with petrol where you at least have a choke. This despite fitting and supplying hundreds of such conversions on the same genny.

There is a valve which seems to bypass regulator which you depress when starting, but it seems to make little difference how long you hold it down, and always starts on fifth or sixth pull even when left for several months. I don't find the issue onerous so will leave well alone.

Another plus, is that the generator can be stored, in more places, due to there being no fuel in it, I have one stored above the batteries/engine. Petrol would fail the BSS.

Gas is easier to obtain than petrol, on the water.

I would say this is main reasons, although the cost is always econdary factor.

If I was living on I would think seriously about a gas Genny, and even having a locker made up that it could run in.

As we don't, we just have petrol one for infrequent use, mainly when working on the boat.

Daniel

Air cooled generators can't really run in lockers unless they are very well ventilated (i.e. more vent area than locker). There are some pictures of the locker I built somewhere in the archives.

On the subject of generators, I had a friend who had an inverter fire on his barge while cruising up the tidal Thames through London and the cause was found to be the high start up voltages from his generator which had caused his combi inverter to ignite when he was using it later.

Gibbo's advice was to start the generator and then connect the boat to the generator once it had settled down, but sometimes I forget (or just can't be bothered). I've never had a problem but then I don't have any sensitive equipment like a combi - I just have a basic 3 stage charger which is always switched off until required. Can starting a generator which is already connected to my consumer unit and mains ring cause any damage to any other equipment which happens to be connected? (tv, radio, laptop, immersion, etc)

Edited by blackrose