Lechlade Marina - what's the situation?

Bekiboo

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I'm researching living afloat and finding the residential moorings thing to be a bit overwhelming! I know there is a marina in Lechlade but I can't find any active information on whether there are still residential moorings there. Anyone know the situation?

TIA

Hi there,

I'm researching living afloat and finding the residential moorings thing to be a bit overwhelming! I know there is a marina in Lechlade but I can't find any active information on whether there are still residential moorings there. Anyone know the situation?

TIA

The thing is, legitimate residential moorings are rare as hens' teeth, and cost nosebleed money if you actually find one. ESPECIALLY on the Thames!

So the way it is done is to NOT live on your boat, but to spend *quite a lot of time* there. But you don't live on it. Definitely not. Oh no.

You'll need a land address or somewhere to receive your post. This is the address at which you live, naturally. Your best mate might let you share their house for this purpose...

• Greenie 1

It's called the Riverside marina. A web site is hard to find but there's a mention here:

www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default.aspx?page=display&nodeid=1144

It has always appeared to me to have several "stay a lots"!

Edit: just found this thread www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20228, see post #21, in which member TeeELL mentions having moored in the marina.

Edited by keble
  • Greenie 1

there certainly appear to be 'continuous residers' there.

I launched on their slipway in 2014 - there was a singular absence of any management, the toilet block was a shambles; it seemed that one of the 'residents' was looking after the place informally.

So the way it is done is to NOT live on your boat, but to spend *quite a lot of time* there. But you don't live on it. Definitely not. Oh no.

A deviant "Time Bandit" not to be confused with a true "Time Bandit" (commonly known as a Cmer or pisstaker). ;)

Edited by mark99

Your not 'resident' if you and the boat are not there 365 / 366 days per year. Go cruising for whatever and the real rules are satisfied.

Marinas may make other stipulations - some maybe to keep the local council happy.

Don't fret

Work with it

Thank you for all your helpful replies. So how do people feel about this total lack of residential mooring? Is it really frustrating, or not that bad when you're actually in the situation? Is it actually a good thing because it stops fairweather folk from living on boats and clogging up the waterways??

Thank you for all your helpful replies. So how do people feel about this total lack of residential mooring? Is it really frustrating, or not that bad when you're actually in the situation? Is it actually a good thing because it stops fairweather folk from living on boats and clogging up the waterways??

Well how we feel about it is irrelevant. It's been this way since the dawn of time and there is no political will to change things.

What actually happens is those who want to live on boats either move about continuously (continuous cruisers), or they tie up on the public towpath and take root ('continuous moorers), or they live on on-line leisure moorings. Or in marinas that don't mind 'high use' moorers.

There are plenty of ways to do it. Asking for residential moorings just flags a person up as a newbie boater, so best to get out of the habit!

:)

Fair enough Mike the Boilerman - I am most definitely a newbie! Does anyone (if they're in a position to do so), have a property that they have registered as their home address, AND a boat? I know you mentioned using your best friend's house, but not sure whether that's a long-term solution when we start thinking about applying for schools etc!

My thinking is that we can then use a leisure mooring without the disadvantages of having no permanent residence. We can then live more-or-less permanently on a leisure mooring (although obviously we don't REALLY live there, honest...) and not hanker after the pipe-dream of a residential.

Para 1 - Yes, lots

Para 2 - Yes, again lots. Don't do anything that marks you as a liveaboard - piles of junk around your pontoon, vast loads of washing hung out to dry for ages - and probably much more.

Bear this in mind -

As a concept marinas don't hate liveaboards, but there are two good reasons why they don't want liveaboards:-

• Some boaters have been known to 'take advantage' and misbehave by being unsightly, and arrogant
  • If you are resident 365 days, the council will rate you at Council Tax Band and will increase the marina's council tax as well - pushing it up so much that the whole enterprise becomes uneconomic.
  • If you are a full time liveaboard and are deemed to be such, then it's difficult to get rid of you (should the need arise).

So it's not the world against you - it's the system.

(OTOH - why should you live in an area and take advantage of what the local council provides, but pay nothing towards it?)

methinks the OP should spend a week browsing this forum where all the matters raised have been discussed to exhaustion.

Heavens - who (newbies) bother to browse a forum nowadays?

Just lob a question in on your mobile - some idiot will take pity and explain in detail (sic!). Even if there are 'stickies' folks don't seem to bother. Being charitable methinks eveyone's on mobiles and paging a forum can be a pain??

Or is it some other reason....

Fair enough Mike the Boilerman - I am most definitely a newbie! Does anyone (if they're in a position to do so), have a property that they have registered as their home address, AND a boat? I know you mentioned using your best friend's house, but not sure whether that's a long-term solution when we start thinking about applying for schools etc!

My thinking is that we can then use a leisure mooring without the disadvantages of having no permanent residence. We can then live more-or-less permanently on a leisure mooring (although obviously we don't REALLY live there, honest...) and not hanker after the pipe-dream of a residential.

You really need to search the forum and read all the old threads on this.

As others have said, there is a TON of discussion on these exact issues all over the forum.

Heavens - who (newbies) bother to browse a forum nowadays?

Just lob a question in on your mobile - some idiot will take pity and explain in detail (sic!). Even if there are 'stickies' folks don't seem to bother. Being charitable methinks eveyone's on mobiles and paging a forum can be a pain??

Or is it some other reason....

I find the search option doesn't work very well on this fourm - or maybe it's my searching, but I struggle to find anything 'historic' to read about.

For example, when I search 'batteries' it comes up with threads but the oldest is my own from April 24th, so not very old.

I get this too. I'm sure the default search hasn't always been threads less than four weeks old. So maybe we are being too tough on the OP.

Clicking on the little gearwheel symbol to the right of the search button brings up the 'Advanced Search' page where one can set a date range.

I just tried it but like VNC, the results take a century to load, if ever.

I get this too. I'm sure the default search hasn't always been threads less than four weeks old. So maybe we are being too tough on the OP.

Clicking on the little gearwheel symbol to the right of the search button brings up the 'Advanced Search' page where one can set a date range.

Ahhh that works better! I was doing to wrong blush.png I just searched 'Residential Moorings' and it came back with results up to 2014 - I set 2012 as the search date, but maybe no one mentioned it prior to 2014.

just tried it, for 'batteries' a 3 year period in the Equipment forum. It loaded 56 results in less than a second.

Edited by Murflynn

it comes with practice.

For example, when I search 'batteries' it comes up with threads but the oldest is my own from April 24th, so not very old.

The search functions always have been, and continue to be rubbish. We need a librarian to index label and submit searches on our behalf. This luckless person must be online 24/7. Work for nix, and be permanently calm