Featured Posts

Hi,

I've been living on my narrowboat for a couple of years now.

Over this time our 42ft narrowboat hasn't left it's mooring very much.

It doesn't seam natural that this wonderful boat hasn't seen much of the lovely countryside, so I've decided to plan a trip (not sure where yet!).

I wanted to make sure we're in good shape before heading off on our epic adventure!

I've got the interior sorted, new and spare pumps for everything inside, spare light bulb's etc.

One thing I noticed the other day was we didn't have a seal for weed hatch (critical).

What critical things would you check or advice getting checked before heading off?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Edited by TEA_TIME

Fan belt (both a spare and check the tension of the one you have), oil & filters, spare fuel filters, grease for stern tube, check coolant level.

Mooring pins, mooring hooks, ropes/lines, anchor if going on a river, lifejackets for tidal rivers (I see you are in Paddington).

Thank you! all good points. There going on the master list of checks.

Yes, we're in Paddington.

Thanks Scholar Gypsy, much appreciated.

List so far:

• Fan belt (both a spare and check the tension of the one you have)
  • oil & filters
  • spare fuel filters
  • grease for stern tube
  • check coolant level.
  • Mooring pins,
  • mooring hooks,
  • ropes/lines,
  • anchor if going on a river,
  • lifejackets for tidal rivers (I see you are in Paddington).

You should just go. Sounds like you are procrastinating. Yes you may need spare, but you won't be far from help on the canal. Just wake up in the morning and decide whether to go right or left. You'll love it.

• Greenie 1

Fail to plan, plan to fail...

When you have everything fixed and sorted, you spend maximum time enjoying yourself, instead of spending hours of your sunny day messing about trying to fix something.

Although I love the free spirit approach x

And thank you for taking the time to reply ; )

How much do you want to plan and get spares for though? We've just gone through 2 gearboxes in 10 days...

Stop worrying about things and get out there :)

Throttle cable (can be used for gear cable too) is a good suggestion but your list seems absolutely fine.

A whopping great medical and first aid chest containing ointment for Wasp stings but most importantly Dysentery pills and a mega pack of toilet rolls for when food poisoning lays you low and for relief of sudden horrid incidents that can bring on a big trembly ''SHOCK''!! trauma.

Edited by bizzard

Have you been running your engine for the last couple of years ?

Check for diesel bug and water contamination of the fuel.

How are your 'mechanical skills' there is no point in carrying spare pistons (for example) if you don't know how to replace them - however - depending on the type of engine some 'weird & wonderful' bits that would be difficult to get hold of 'on the cut' may be worth carrying so when you call out the mechanic you have all of the necessary bits.

All the usual stuff :

Scotch locks / Chocolate blocks

Various lengths and 'current rating' bits of wire

Insulating tape

Duct tape

Bits of rubber hoses

Jubilee clips

Screws, nuts and bolts

Assorted spanners & screwdrivers

Multimeter