A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

Quick question here , you are using polyester , so what do you fill and make bog with ( powder additive ) ?

I use industrial talc with the epoxy I use.

It all looks pretty tidy so far..............clapping.gif

I would love to use Epoxy, but the cost it daft, and poly does the job i need to do. Below water line repairs will be Epoxy though, but then saying that i am going to make some bilge keels soon for it and that will be poly.

For all the work i am using Cascamite powder and Fillite glass beads.

Cascamite

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cascamite-Extramite-Polymite-Wood-Adhesive-Glue-Size-200g-to-25kg-/291367122809?var=&hash=item43d6d57779:m:mFSVLR3bZZ0TcMqV-3E-EBQ

This i use for laminating ply together

Fillite

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fillite-Filler-Powder-Resin-Casting-Resin-Filler-5Kg-/271782847643?hash=item3f4785249b:g:OpQAAOSwBP9UWKRN

This for filling and bonding timber to wood, only as it does a great job and a whole lot cheaper than Cascamite.

For all the work i am using Cascamite powder and Fillite glass beads.

Cascamite

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cascamite-Extramite-Polymite-Wood-Adhesive-Glue-Size-200g-to-25kg-/291367122809?var=&hash=item43d6d57779:m:mFSVLR3bZZ0TcMqV-3E-EBQ

This i use for laminating ply together

my brother bought a seriously nice 50's classic yacht Sara Moraea. The previous owner had to replace all the ribs which had been laminated with cascamite. Apparently it tends to disintegrate after 50 years or so. Bear that in mind if you want to pass the boat on to your grandchildren rolleyes.gif

PS, the white speckles on the counter stern are reflections of the wavelets, not boat pox!

post-22107-0-65038900-1461183459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Murflynn

Got no kids M and if i can get 50 years out of it well happy days, and well, after this i am going to be bloody buried in i lol, well a Viking burial :) Just need to convince T to do it off Trefor Pier for me with the song by Freddie ` Who wants to live forever` :)

Got no kids M and if i can get 50 years out of it well happy days, and well, after this i am going to be bloody buried in i lol, well a Viking burial :) Just need to convince T to do it off Trefor Pier for me with the song by Freddie ` Who wants to live forever` :)

I know the feeling!

as Fred Dibnah said about his Steam Roller 'it's a death us do part job now, we've gone without for so many years to get it built, I couldn't bear to part with it, there's too much of us in it.'

:)

I know the feeling!

as Fred Dibnah said about his Steam Roller 'it's a death us do part job now, we've gone without for so many years to get it built, I couldn't bear to part with it, there's too much of us in it.'

smile.png

God, don't I know that feeling smile.png

God, don't I know that feeling smile.png

Strikes a chord doesnt it?!

A friend of mine said you will move onto another one when this one is finished... Not bloody likely!

i only really fancy a twin engine project 31 or senior 31 on shafts - thankfully there is not many about - plenty on Perky power with Enfield egg whisks - not my cup of tea at all.

The extra cabin space and larger cockpit area would be nice, but, the 3 of us fit nice and snug on the the E27 so that will do me fine!

I am happy at the moment, Sabina H is ideal to live on and I might possibly finish it before I pop my clogs unsure.png

Shapfell (the Ormelite cruiser) is perfect to explore the canal system but I must confess to a slight hankering for something around 30' but seagoing, maybe a replacement for the Shetland (Which seems to be sold now)........but I don't think I can keep up with the maintenance on three

Reason I wanted the Nelson 34 John. 20year project to float off into the sunset . fill the bilges With real Cider and away I go. Not to forget the fishing gear :)

Few bits done this weekend, filled a few scratchs pin holes etc in the deck in readiness to prep and paint in a few weeks i hope. I would of got more done if it hadnt started to rain today. I will see in a day or so if the cabin top leak has been found as i resin up the damaged areas and filled, Fingers crossed i have sealed it.

I got some fitting months ago as i want deck drains on the rear deck for washing it down. Muddy dog and all lol.

post-8285-0-46329500-1461519741_thumb.jpg

post-8285-0-83130000-1461519965_thumb.jpg

Another small job was that the front deck has a bit of flex in it when you stand on it, easy enough job but darn messy, rsin all up my arms etc etc. even in my ear, dont ask. My hair will stay in place anyway lol. well what there is of it.

Just a bit of foam again and laminated inplace with three layers of 350grm CSM and one 650grm combination. I stuck it inpace first with bridge filler and then laminated it in. i will give a few days so before i try it to make sure it is fully set.

post-8285-0-60783400-1461520432_thumb.jpgpost-8285-0-42032900-1461520624_thumb.jpgpost-8285-0-34276200-1461520850_thumb.jpg

I have been looking for some windows for the top screen for ages, and i won these on ebay, yes they are big at ten foot long, but good height and match the side windows as same style. And like me being one for a challenge :) i got the pair for a god price and i plan to shorten them to five foot long, if i can i will keep them opening aswell. I still have the side quater windows from when i got the sides so all will match.

It will all fold down incase i come by a low bridge/tunnel, i dont think i will come by one low enough but you never know.

post-8285-0-64316500-1461521182_thumb.jpg

• Greenie 1

What BSP thread ? lol

Oh no - please! My head is spinning trying sort out 3/8 BSW from 3/8 UNC

I do like that simple strengthening rib. You have a real skill with this material

Richard

I like old school threads/imp sizes, but by eck metric is easier hey. if you drill out and tap metric lol. ( not having a clue what your trying to fettle )

Or 1.75 - or 0.5, 0.75.....

That's the nice thing about standards. There are so many, if you don't like one you can always choose another

Richard

Yep, there is no standard in anything lol.

I am about to pull my hair out over these windows. the ones fitted have been such a pain to seal and fit etc, and still got a small leak :( T has suggested we fit he new windows if better but the head side cut back and fit the port hole we have for the heads and a full length for the cabin/galley side. sounds good actually.

We will see when we pick them up this weekend..

Bloody windows are a pain!

I've still got one small drip on our E27, job for another day that!

Doesn't it make a difference now the mercury is rising?!

The wet stuff don't effect me too much as all my work to do is in the cockpit undercover.

I'll be doing a sun dance for you mate, ballache when you can't prep or paint cos it's peeing it down.

post-8285-0-46329500-1461519741_thumb.jp

You may want to seal that hole and rebate with epoxy .

I would invest in a small amount just for these kind of jobs where there are holes into plywood core.

A small tube of two pack Araldite or similar would do.

Speaking of Araldite , I thought this was amusing :

teapot.jpg

1983 a visual stunt presentation was set up to show the strength of Araldite by gluing a yellow Ford Cortina to a billboard on Cromwell Road, London, with the tagline "It also sticks handles to teapots". Later, to demonstrate more of its strength, a red Cortina was placed on top of the yellow Cortina, with the tagline "The tension mounts". Finally, the car was removed from the billboard, leaving a hole on the billboard and a tagline "How did we pull it off?".

I know that epoxy is expensive stuff , and I understand why you are using polyester for the vast majority of the work you are doing .

Nothing wrong with polyester bonded to older polyester , but for this kind of job its not really very good. It may well crack inside the rebate , and water does not care how small the fracture , it will get in.

It is exactly the kind of place where rot will start , and usually undetected until there is significant damage.

I hope that I don`t sound like a clever d*ck W&T , but I learned long ago that this seemingly small detail can become trouble later on.

Edited by boat fan
  • Greenie 1

Bloody windows are a pain!

I've still got one small drip on our E27, job for another day that!

Doesn't it make a difference now the mercury is rising?!

The wet stuff don't effect me too much as all my work to do is in the cockpit undercover.

I'll be doing a sun dance for you mate, ballache when you can't prep or paint cos it's peeing it down.

Biggest pain in the arse on the boat are the windows, doing my dam head in, still get there in the end. i so wish i had a BIG workshop, get so much more done. When the weather is not playing games it down to try and plan things so there is always bits to do. still not easy.

You get the rain dance done kida, i am hoping for a good week the 15th May week ;) that will give you time to practice lol.

Hi boat fan, not being a smart ares just giving good advise which i like, so i have given you a greenie mate ;) i have sealed the holes with polyester for now as i was planning on sikaflex to seal when it arrives, got some on order, should be here tomorrow. I am getting some West cost systems epoxy for the hull repairs work, i could get it sooner, or as you say Araldite if its better than the Sikaflex.

Blimey. You have been busy cheers.gif

I personally wouldn't bother fitting bilge keels. The boat will sit upright when dried out on a relatively level bottom.

12063420_984766288212548_984052177636231

If you are on it as it dries out you can shuffle stuff about to sit it bang level.