CMers versus CRT

b0atman

Featured Posts

My apologies for "going on" about the T&Cs.

I find myself probably one of a very small handful of boaters who will struggle to adhere to them unless I cruise back up the Rochdale 9 locks once a week (or whatever CRT expect). The new T&Cs say I can't stay in the area, unless I return to my mooring. I'm not fit enough to return to my mooring each week. I think it's known as a catch 22 situation. Anyway, I will try not to beat my drum on the issue again. ;-)

I appreciate that you're in an unusually awkward situation: awful home mooring, widebeam, work commitments, children etc. Isn't there anything you can do to fundamentally improve your situation? Personally, I can't see many people on here sticking with it irrespective of CRT enforcement policies.

I appreciate that you're in an unusually awkward situation: awful home mooring, widebeam, work commitments, children etc. Isn't there anything you can do to fundamentally improve your situation? Personally, I can't see many people on here sticking with it irrespective of CRT enforcement policies.

My solution is simple.

I'm going boating :)

I'll be back and forwards from now till Dec.

I won't give it another thought until I get a letter of some sort from CRT, but as they'll hopefully be chasing real issues, they'll most likely leave me alone.

On a forum however, it's nice to discuss worst case scenarios. There's an almost nil chance they'll translate to real life...but it's still entertaining to discuss the "what ifs".

. . . it will be (excepting the TD case which listed about 7 transgressions and was before the new rules) first case of its kind.

It is important to remember that according to Jackie Lewis and the official T&C’s apologetics, the new T&C’s are NOT anything new but a clarification of the old.

The Dunkley case relied upon an interpretation of the then existing T&C’s that has informed the new “clarification” – and this was laid out carefully in their pleadings in the case. So that was to have been the “first case of its kind”, and the pity is that they pulled out.

Self-evident? Does water only flow downhill to London?

If you made the journey in the first place what is to stop you going back?

What is it, a two week trip? Seems reasonable enough to me?

You are making it up as you go along

It is self evident that somebody who has a regular job in London and has taken his boat down there is not going to be in a position to return the boat to a mooring two weeks cruise away every time he finds himself not wanting to move around for a couple of weeks.

It is self evident that somebody who has a regular job in London and has taken his boat down there is not going to be in a position to return the boat to a mooring two weeks cruise away every time he finds himself not wanting to move around for a couple of weeks.

Quite right........but, if you are away from your home mooring, then you have to move your boat at most every couple of weeks, more frequently if you prefer. There are loads of places within an easy train commute of London anyway, don't forget that a few days cruise is only an hour or so by train,and then there's the Thames (EA) the Wey (NT).......

Interestingly I am near to one of these Quiet northern visitor moorings (48 hour time limit) watching the procession of hopeful visitors going past due to no room and the inaccessible moorings that I and many others have reported to CRT Counted up today and there are 8 regular CMers in place no sign of CRT monitoring the situation though.

Interestingly I am near to one of these Quiet northern visitor moorings (48 hour time limit) watching the procession of hopeful visitors going past due to no room and the inaccessible moorings that I and many others have reported to CRT Counted up today and there are 8 regular CMers in place no sign of CRT monitoring the situation though.

Which one?

I do find it sad that people behave so selfishly with regard to moorings. I have noticed some behaviour like this on the eastern & mid K&A (haven't got properly west yet). I'm fairly certain that some of them are doing it absolutely on purpose, I can remember some similar behaviour back in the day from some of the New Age Travellers. It's a kind of "look at me" childishness.

Out of interest, are they all live-aboards or a mix of that & leisure boaters. I only ask because down where I am now, there is definitely a mix.

Also, what is the general mooring like in that area? Is it easy enough to moor just about anywhere or is it hard work away from the short-term VMs?

After single handedly working 44 lock gates open and closed for 5hrs in a soft drizzle, I have had a truly lovely day...doing the Rochdale 11 (9+2). I am now OFF CRT WATERS.

TaDaaaa!!!!!! I am free...lol

After single handedly working 44 lock gates open and closed for 5hrs in a soft drizzle, I have had a truly lovely day...doing the Rochdale 11 (9+2). I am now OFF CRT WATERS.

TaDaaaa!!!!!! I am free...lol

Dean - I'm not trying to be funny, just curious. But if memory serves me correct you have a partner and a couple of teenage children, and again if memory serves me correct you often make comments about having to single hand a wide beam through locks. Is there a reason why none of your family (crew) are able to assist?

Again, not making any judgments - just being noisy :)

I do find it sad that people behave so selfishly with regard to moorings. I have noticed some behaviour like this on the eastern & mid K&A (haven't got properly west yet). I'm fairly certain that some of them are doing it absolutely on purpose, I can remember some similar behaviour back in the day from some of the New Age Travellers. It's a kind of "look at me" childishness.

Out of interest, are they all live-aboards or a mix of that & leisure boaters. I only ask because down where I am now, there is definitely a mix.

Also, what is the general mooring like in that area? Is it easy enough to moor just about anywhere or is it hard work away from the short-term VMs?

Marple has been a pain in the backside for years. Long line of 48 hour moorings, full of boats that I don't think have been ever seen to move. I've never got there without finding more than one small space vacant if I'm lucky, and after I'be pottered about for a bit up the Peak Forest, they're all still there when I get back a few days later. Most don't seem to be lived on, just dumped, as far as I can recall. On the Macc mooring is difficult because of the nature of the cut, which is V shaped rather than a bowl, and it's shallow anyway. I'm generally pretty tolerant about overstaying, but I do get a bit vindictive about Marple... and yes, it's that kind of behaviour that has stimulated CRT into activity and spoilt the laissez faire attitude that we all really rather preferred.

well, Arthur, you say that, but it's not them that are the focus of the 'increased' enforcement therefore, if you're right, CRT are pretty incompetent.

I have no idea whether they are being focussed on or not, but we know there has been CRT activity on the Macc, so who knows? The process takes so long it's like watching paint dry.

It's daft anyway - if you've got to park your boat, online moorings on the Macc aren't that expensive. I think the problem is that some people (not those who want to live on it) buy a boat and then find that they don't really want it or haven't got time for it, so they try to forget it exists, like parking your Income Tax letter behind the clock and hoping it goes away. You won't get your money back if you sell it if it's been ignored for a year or two and you've been able to just licence it and forget it which until now has been the cheapest option.

As I've said before, it doesn't matter that much to me - I'm a leisure boater and can usually find somewhere to park and do my shopping but I can see why some folks could get seriously narky about it, and Marple is one of those spots.

Dean - I'm not trying to be funny, just curious. But if memory serves me correct you have a partner and a couple of teenage children, and again if memory serves me correct you often make comments about having to single hand a wide beam through locks. Is there a reason why none of your family (crew) are able to assist?

Again, not making any judgments - just being noisy smile.png

Mom was working all day today, older teen is off at Uni, which leaves the mid teen and the youngster...so I decided they could enjoy the last remnants of engine-generated elec before I ration them. I love single handing......but the Rochdale9 single handing a widebeam is definately more like "extreme boating" than anything else....I feel so sorry for the oldish couple coming down it in a weeks time...it's a real animal. I actually had a really lovely active day...;-)

Marple has been a pain in the backside for years. Long line of 48 hour moorings, full of boats that I don't think have been ever seen to move. I've never got there without finding more than one small space vacant if I'm lucky, and after I'be pottered about for a bit up the Peak Forest, they're all still there when I get back a few days later. Most don't seem to be lived on, just dumped, as far as I can recall. On the Macc mooring is difficult because of the nature of the cut, which is V shaped rather than a bowl, and it's shallow anyway. I'm generally pretty tolerant about overstaying, but I do get a bit vindictive about Marple... and yes, it's that kind of behaviour that has stimulated CRT into activity and spoilt the laissez faire attitude that we all really rather preferred.

I'm not sure I recognise the picture being painted of Marple here. I visit Marple reasonably regularly (including last week, and yesterday either side of a cruise on the west side of the Huddersfield), and have never experienced problems mooring at the Marple end of the Macc. I would count the number of regulars as more like 4 than 8.

The biggest issue for mooring at Marple is the amount of bankside stone that is now at the bottom of the canal on the Peak Forest VMs. There doesn't seem to be any effort to address that either.

Marples mooring problem CMers aside is the so called 48 hour VMs on the peak forest where bank stones and rings are falling into the water and you abseil down to your boat.

Look on google and there is a boat mooring K&A style.

I contacted CRT but of course stock answer a supervisor will look at it, well its got fences that replaced the orange traditionally used and has been known about for years so surely he must have looked many times.

Of course I have had no feed back.

Mom was working all day today, older teen is off at Uni, which leaves the mid teen and the youngster...so I decided they could enjoy the last remnants of engine-generated elec before I ration them. I love single handing......but the Rochdale9 single handing a widebeam is definately more like "extreme boating" than anything else....I feel so sorry for the oldish couple coming down it in a weeks time...it's a real animal. I actually had a really lovely active day...;-)

Fair play - enjoying it is what it's all about :)

I'm not sure I recognise the picture being painted of Marple here. I visit Marple reasonably regularly (including last week, and yesterday either side of a cruise on the west side of the Huddersfield), and have never experienced problems mooring at the Marple end of the Macc. I would count the number of regulars as more like 4 than 8.

The biggest issue for mooring at Marple is the amount of bankside stone that is now at the bottom of the canal on the Peak Forest VMs. There doesn't seem to be any effort to address that either.

Maybe it's improved - must admit it's been a while since I was there, but I'm going up next week so looks like it'll be OK. The PF moorings have always been horrible at the junction too - same as they were in Macclesfield itself, though i gather there are pontoons either now or soon...

Arthur & Boatman, thanks for the info. I wasn't going to head that way cos some people get fussy about squeezing a 10 footer through narrow locks. I have been places where I've felt sure that debris is purposely left on the canal bed to discourage mooring (maybe even put there on purpose). I'm actually glad that the mooring hoggers are not all live-aboards.

Edited by spadefoot

Arthur & Boatman, thanks for the info. I wasn't going to head that way cos some people get fussy about squeezing a 10 footer through narrow locks. I have been places where I've felt sure that debris is purposely left on the canal bed to discourage mooring (maybe even put there on purpose). I'm actually glad that the mooring hoggers are not all live-aboards.

You'll never get a ten foot wide boat through those locks unless you stand it on end. But anyway, once you get past Marple itself (which is a really nice village/town) the Peak Forest canal is stunning.