CMers versus CRT

b0atman

Featured Posts

well, Arthur, you say that, but it's not them that are the focus of the 'increased' enforcement therefore, if you're right, CRT are pretty incompetent.

If some boats have been moored there 'for years' then enforcement in the courts may be compromised by that inaction. Much more effective to take the current CRT approach to discourage more people adopting such a lifestyle and then begin to chip away at it, all the while establishing case law about what behaviour patterns may be considered consistent with the present law and the courts' interpretations of it and which ones are clearly unacceptable. It would be, given where we are at right now, to expect an instant solution.

I'd ask the guy running his motor at 10pm to turn it off, if it was annoying me. Pragmatically, I'd not be bothered because I'd be sat in the boat watching telly and couldn't hear it. I'm more bothered about early morning engine running - that's quite annoying! The other issues, I'd not worry about. If I can't find a mooring where I want it, I tend to have a "plan B" and "plan C" for somewhere else to stop. I'm not sure you can generalise and say everyone, or even a majority, stopping at a 48h mooring brings in revenue to the local area.

Paul if you were not watching TV as some of us don't, what would be your response then? Even a Honda Wisper Gen is annoying!

Paul if you were not watching TV as some of us don't, what would be your response then? Even a Honda Wisper Gen is annoying!

Maybe try & convince the guy to spend some money on a bunch of solar panels.

It may seem unfair, but the 100% council tax on an empty house is there, apart from ensuring income for the council, to discourage people from leaving houses empty.

There is a housing shortage, after all.

Tim

So why not make it illegal to own a house that is not occupied?

So why not make it illegal to own a house that is not occupied?

Would that not rather make a mess of the UK holiday market? Particularly in places like the Lake District there is no way without holiday lets that the visitors to the area could be accommodated.

Maybe try & convince the guy to spend some money on a bunch of solar panels.

If a chap is twat enough to run his engine after ten is he going to listen reason. I very much doubt it.

Would that not rather make a mess of the UK holiday market? Particularly in places like the Lake District there is no way without holiday lets that the visitors to the area could be accommodated.

Marples mooring problem CMers aside is the so called 48 hour VMs on the peak forest where bank stones and rings are falling into the water and you abseil down to your boat.

Look on google and there is a boat mooring K&A style.

I contacted CRT but of course stock answer a supervisor will look at it, well its got fences that replaced the orange traditionally used and has been known about for years so surely he must have looked many times.

Of course I have had no feed back.

As you say, the stretch past Marple Marina to the brick bridge is pretty much unusable now, save for the lone boat on the corner who popped her head out when we winded at the junction yesterday.

On the Macc, there are 3 good moorings opposite the sanitary station, which are always full (and where the trip boat operator has a tendency to try to hussle people off so he can embark passengers), and the stretch between Bridge 2 and the old swingbridge narrows is afflicted by a number of rocky bits (although the level seemed up yesterday and people were getting in on the rocky bits).

Yesterday was full when we came up, but even then we moored up OK just past the narrows.

Certainly when we went through Marple last June around midday there was no-where to moor. We would have liked a quick look around the town and some shopping but in the event had to carry on and shop in Whaley Bridge.

We were thinking of mooring temporarily at Marple this Summer. If we spot boats that are clearly overstaying on vistor moorings and denying us our fair go, is it OK if we pull them out and give them a shove towards the locks?

Is 3am good for you?

We haved stopped drinking in the pub there as we can't get moorings very often when we get there, and quite often because the 70' trip boat owned by the pub is slap bang in the middle of the 48hr moorings.

We've stopped drinking there, because I don't choose to spend my money somewhere that abuses the VMs as they do.

He's tried it with us once, the old "you will be back by 2 won't you, because I need to move the trip boat here to load up with passengers".

Answer - "No, this is a 48 hour VM and I'll stay up to 48 hours"

If he wants a trip boat mooring, he will need to PAY for one (or build one at the back of the pub)

He really went out of his way to endear himself yesterday, because he couldn't get a mooring at High lane, so he moored his bow, and loosely tied the stern to a moored boat, so that he was making the approach to the blind bridge seriously difficult.

We were thinking of mooring temporarily at Marple this Summer. If we spot boats that are clearly overstaying on vistor moorings and denying us our fair go, is it OK if we pull them out and give them a shove towards the locks?

Is 3am good for you?

I say Mr Fox, that's not very British. Probably backfire anyway, just your luck it'd be you pulling them back off the locks so you could use them. I think overstayers should have to fly a flag (ensign? pennant?) stating that they are "clearly a cad sir"

Is 3am good for you?

I would make sure you have someone to rescue you from the cut. You will obviously fall in.