A transformed Macclesfield

larryjc

Featured Posts

Great, yet back in the real world. It's full of rubbish and shallower than a toddlers bathwater.

Are we still on about the Macc? Not much rubbish in my bit of it, and it's only shallow at the edges because that as how it was built. Sometimes you just have to slow down a bit... it's not as shallow as the Caldon or the end of the Llangollen.

Cruised from Hardings to Marple this weekend and I've now got a mountain of rubbish fetched from the blade over countless visits down the weedhatch...I certainly won't be looking to take a proper boat up that way anytime soon. ;-)

That is a pity but I have been running "proper" boats on the Macc and Upper Peak for more than 20 years with very little weed and rubbish problems.

Channel depth and individual obstructions with a loaded boat were, however, a different matter.

George ex nb Alton retired

Cruised from Hardings to Marple this weekend and I've now got a mountain of rubbish fetched from the blade over countless visits down the weedhatch...I certainly won't be looking to take a proper boat up that way anytime soon. ;-)

I must admit to being suprised at your post. In twenty odd years of being based up on the Peak and using the Macc regularly, I think I have been down the weed hatch once or twice on the Macc. Lots of leaves and mud in bridge holes but that about it.

Yes, I must admit it didn't fit with what I was expecting or been told in conversation.

The list includes fishing net (with aluminium handle nicely wrapped around the shaft), blue tarpaulin, washing line with what were clothes, multiple plastic bags, coal sacks, orange barrier netting and many many reeds/cuttings.

Perhaps I should be happy that at least it'll be a bit clearer now for others :-)

I have just travelled from Cropredy to Marple never had to go down the weed Hatch .

Mine is a shallower draft.

I do not understand how modern boats are still being made deep drafted by some companies .

All canals are silting up and I have never yet seen a dredger working in all my years of boating although I hear that it does happen.

I must admit to being suprised at your post. In twenty odd years of being based up on the Peak and using the Macc regularly, I think I have been down the weed hatch once or twice on the Macc. Lots of leaves and mud in bridge holes but that about it.

I reckon that James actually moors up here, and is on a covert operation, to convince people that the Macc is really nasty, and that people should stay away, so that you and I can enjoy it.

Yup, hear what James says! The Macc is no place to go. You won't enjoy it. Of you pop to Llangollen, much nicer place to enjoy yourselves.

Peaceful up here on the Macc isn't it?

I have just travelled from Cropredy to Marple never had to go down the weed Hatch .

I do not understand how modern boats are still being made deep drafted by some companies .

All canals are silting up and I have never yet seen a dredger working in all my years of boating although I hear that it does happen.

Can you not see the circular argument?

No dredging leads to canals silting leads to shallower draft boats leads to no requirement for dredging...

Are you going to cruise in a hovercraft in years to come?

Whereas a small proportion of deep drafted boats keeps the channel clear meaning largely problem-free boating for the majority of shallower craft.

I reckon that James actually moors up here, and is on a covert operation, to convince people that the Macc is really nasty, and that people should stay away, so that you and I can enjoy it.

Yup, hear what James says! The Macc is no place to go. You won't enjoy it. Of you pop to Llangollen, much nicer place to enjoy yourselves.

Peaceful up here on the Macc isn't it?

In fact the Llangollen is so much nicer that is where we are going this summer

In fact the Llangollen is so much nicer that is where we are going this summer

In order to remind yourself that it isn't.

Every time I go to Llangollen, I find myself thinking "yes, it's very nice, but the Macc is just as nice"

Ooops sorry, off message. No, the Macc is horrid, with fearsome sea monsters. Stay away!!

Weirdly enough, I even saw a dredger heading up the Macc on Saturday...perhaps we have spoken too soon ??

Now on the LLLLLLLLangollen and yes it seems very nice and not to crowded - yet, but so is the Oxford and the Stratford and the Shroppie and the Macc and just about all of them.