High line yachting ltd

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

Last time I was there, admittedly a year or so ago, their stock of chimneys appeared to be as paltry and limited as any other small canalside chandlery.

Nor did the quality look any different from the standard cheap Aquafax chimneys all chandleries seem to sell.

I moor at Highline on the Slough Arm and the chandlery is ok but limited, theres not a great deal of passing trade sadly, however John will order anything in you need and will shop around for a competative price.

Ive not bought any of their Chimneys or stove pipes so am unable to comment on the quality. sorry

Thanks, i'll give Mr Moore a try.

I'm astounded by the poor quality of the ones sold in chandlers. They look like something knocked up by an apprentice on their first day.

I bought one from Black Country metal works, marginally better than the ones I'd seen in various chandlers, but still not very good.

Surely there's a market out there for products made to a high standard.

Thanks, i'll give Mr Moore a try.

I'm astounded by the poor quality of the ones sold in chandlers. They look like something knocked up by an apprentice on their first day.

I bought one from Black Country metal works, marginally better than the ones I'd seen in various chandlers, but still not very good.

Surely there's a market out there for products made to a high standard.

There certainly is, but not at the price yer average boater thinks a chimney should cost. Hence the apparent absence of anyone fulfilling the need.

Actually, what is it that makes a chimney 'good quality' for you? I'm curious now!

There certainly is, but not at the price yer average boater thinks a chimney should cost. Hence the apparent absence of anyone fulfilling the need.

Actually, what is it that makes a chimney 'good quality' for you? I'm curious now!

BS304 stainless steel of a good gauge preferably powder coated, rolled1/16th thick brass bands, copper rivets, aluminium D section to finish the top.

BS304 stainless steel of a good gauge preferably powder coated, rolled1/16th thick brass bands, copper rivets, aluminium D section to finish the top.

£50 or so for the stainless

Brass bands, bottom handle, chain hook £8-00.

Powder coating £20 at least

Rivets and aluminum D section £3-00

Petrol / diesel for running around and delivery ????????

Labour at x £ per hour.

A means of cutting or getting cut the stainless sheet to shape

Set of rollers if you do not have them.

Rivet set

Planishing hammer, files, hand shears.

Angle grinder discs and drills ( stainless is tough to drill and you will need plenty of them)

There certainly is, but not at the price yer average boater thinks a chimney should cost. Hence the apparent absence of anyone fulfilling the need.Actually, what is it that makes a chimney 'good quality' for you? I'm curious now!

Laurence answered your question perfectly.

And then, you know what, at the first bridge you come to you have forgotten to take it down and it squashes just as easily as the cheap one.

£50 or so for the stainless

Brass bands, bottom handle, chain hook £8-00.

Powder coating £20 at least

Rivets and aluminum D section £3-00

Petrol / diesel for running around and delivery ????????

Labour at x £ per hour.

A means of cutting or getting cut the stainless sheet to shape

Set of rollers if you do not have them.

Rivet set

Planishing hammer, files, hand shears.

Angle grinder discs and drills ( stainless is tough to drill and you will need plenty of them)

Don't forget we used to make them at BCC Ltd (Boatmans Cabin Co) and we did large quantities of both exhausts and ordinary 12 - 28* types. Our prices reflected our costs and labour and the quality was very good not like the cheap imported stuff we see today. The hardest thing to source today is the Tucker copper rivets which are getting rare and the half hard aluminium d section. I cant see why you would need planishing hammer, files and hand shears, angle grinder and discs though, we used none of those as we had rollers and jigs to assemble the units.

My own personal chimney (Stainless) I use today on the boat is a BCC one my father made in 1984 one of his last, it still fully serviceable today at 31 years old!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I'd say a morning's work to complete a chimney to the spec set out by Lorry, assuming you have already invested in a grand or so for a stock of 18wwg stainless sheet, some 16swg brass, a box of copper rivets and a few metres of D section ally. Oh and a further couple of grand in the tools to roll the plate into chimney shape.

So I reckon about £250 each would be a commercial 'factory gate' selling price, plus VAT. Given chandleries expect to make a 40% gross profit margin this equates to a retail price of exactly £500.00.

How many would you like, Sir?

P.S. and a further £3k for a guillotine to chop up the sheet to size...

And then, you know what, at the first bridge you come to you have forgotten to take it down and it squashes just as easily as the cheap one.

A strong chimney like ours were will open the join at the bottom in this situation without allowing the chimney to crush, we used a sprung joint which wasn't welded or riveted to allow this to happen. You then will have a little metal working to do to rebuild the stretched joint.

I'd say a morning's work to complete a chimney to the spec set out by Lorry, assuming you have already invested in a grand or so for a stock of 18wwg stainless sheet, some 16swg brass, a box of copper rivets and a few metres of D section ally. Oh and a further couple of grand in the tools to roll the plate into chimney shape.

So I reckon about £250 each would be a commercial 'factory gate' selling price, plus VAT. Given chandleries expect to make a 40% gross profit margin this equates to a retail price of exactly £500.00.

How many would you like, Sir?

P.S. and a further £3k for a guillotine to chop up the sheet to size...

Our man used to knock out around 10 per day of any type once delivered back from the powder coaters. The chimneys we had rolled in volume by a fabrication firm.

Based on our old costs I reckon today a 6" to 5" taper 28* tall 3 band Stainless chimney would be around £95 plus VAT.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I was basing my price on making them one at a time, sized to order.

Making a batch all the same for selling into the trade will obviously benefit from a bit of a production line being set up.

Is £95 plus VAT your estimated net factory gate price or would you be giving 40% trade discount to stockists?

I was basing my price on making them one at a time, sized to order.

Making a batch all the same for selling into the trade will obviously benefit from a bit of a production line being set up.

Is £95 plus VAT your estimated net factory gate price or would you be giving 40% trade discount to stockists?

Not many manufacturers were offering 40% in the inland marine trade, 20-22% was common when we were supplying in volume, the numbers even that the larger chandleries would take couldn't justify that high discount. At our peak we were delivering around for instance 50 6" iron collars a month to Midland Chandlers (around 1989-90) that was when boatbuilding was at a high and around 25-30 boats per week hit the water. With virtually no boatbuilding of note now going on it would be costly to carry the stocks we had, plus all the far east crap is out there.

I bought a bespoke one and it was about 90 quid single skin. Copper rivets, good brass bands and fittings. Can't remember his name but he steers a Josher or two.

Micheal Pinnock, an excellent fabricator.

A strong chimney like ours were will open the join at the bottom in this situation without allowing the chimney to crush, we used a sprung joint which wasn't welded or riveted to allow this to happen. You then will have a little metal working to do to rebuild the stretched joint.

Our man used to knock out around 10 per day of any type once delivered back from the powder coaters. The chimneys we had rolled in volume by a fabrication firm.

Based on our old costs I reckon today a 6" to 5" taper 28* tall 3 band Stainless chimney would be around £95 plus VAT.

I'd be happy to pay £95 for a good quality traditional exhaust stack

But that price was based on times when Lorry was making and flogging ten a day on a production line basis.

£95 to hand make a single chimney seems unrealistically cheap, although I think MArk99 says earlier in the thread that's what Michael Pinnock charged.

With virtually no boatbuilding of note now going on it would be costly to carry the stocks we had, plus all the far east crap is out there.

Eh? So what do Britain's numerous boatbuilding and boatfitting firms do for a living? I know that one major company has sadly ceased trading recently, but there are surely plenty of boats being built elsewhere?