Newbury to Bath

Bunny

Featured Posts

We decided to count the boats between Newbury and Bath that were not displaying an in date licence ( didn't count them if they had ran out in March ). Now I know not all boats that don't display are not un-licensed , and I know its not really my business who is has a license or who does not, but the extra revenue from even 50% of the 80+ boats we saw that didn't display a license would help with a little bit of maintainence . Various hot spots seem to have moved around a bit in the last couple of years . Sells Green is still very popular, we stopped in the rough overnight and a local ( his words not mine) asked if we were staying long as his friend needed some welding done and would be handy if we were leaving ..........soon, no problem we let him know when we moved off . All around Seend there were clusters of a dozen or more boats and in some cases breasted up . Most visitor moorings had room for a few visiting boats, which they didn't have last time we came down this way, plenty of room in Bath and Bradford on Avon . Did see one very nice tjalk being told to move on by a Crt lady, and said owner untied the ropes and moved . To us it appeared that the more stationary boats are slowly moving east , and have progressed in some cases over the Caen hill. We couldn't use the waterpoint in Bradford on Avon as the thread on the tap has worn , and we have only been hit by one hire boat. Turning tomorrow and heading back to the Thames , nice to have come down this way again , too easy to forget the K and A is a lovely canal , but then again arnt they all Bunny

We decided to count the boats between Newbury and Bath that were not displaying an in date licence (

Pathetic.

If that is your way of enjoying your boat trip I suggest you get another hobby.

Maybe counting overstayers in Sainsbury's car park.

Hey Bunny - Hope you, hubby and "bunny" are all well and had a pleasant winter.

We are currently displaying a license that expired the end of February, but simply haven't made arrangements to have our quarterly mail delivery to be forwarded to a post office as of yet so we can put up this years license. This could also be the case of a fair few of the boats you noticed on your trip.

Enjoy the Thames - how long are you going to be there for?

B~

no

my jan-dec licence went in my window late march- first time I had been up to my c/o address to collect it.

I accept that and acknowledge that I answered hastily. Many boats will be licensed even though they appear not to be. I have been there myself. However, based on the somewhat nonempirical figures given, statistically there must be a few who aren't licenced and her bottom line (I think!) is that particular point.

I have been there myself. However, based on the somewhat nonempirical figures given, statistically there must be a few who aren't licenced and her bottom line (I think!) is that particular point.

So, to get to the point... , statistically speaking from those nonempirical figures, how few of those boats are unlicenced??

I accept that and acknowledge that I answered hastily. Many boats will be licensed even though they appear not to be. I have been there myself. However, based on the somewhat nonempirical figures given, statistically there must be a few who aren't licenced and her bottom line (I think!) is that particular point.

Not so. CRT check the boats every two weeks so if any were unlicensed they would be subject to CRT enforcement. Unlike the OP they have up to date information on the status of the boats.

The OP is simply searching for something to moan about and sneer at. As I say she should find a new hobby.

What a nasty vindictive post.

What a nasty vindictive post.

I believe CRT claim that 4% of boats are un-licenced. Those that failed to renew before expiration will lose the 10% discount (~£50 - £100?), a month later and they pay an additional fine of £150. Some may lack a current BSC or adequate funds (I know of one boater who had to sell his motorbike to pay his licence) but when they eventually renew their licence it will be backdated. There is no loss of revenue to CRT, there is huge additional revenue. They can borrow e.g. £1,000 for <5% pa (0.4% /month) but charge much more for 'late payment'.

Alan

On the Thames there is no 'prompt payment discount' nor any late payment surcharge.

Consequently I used to renew my licence due 1st Jan some time in April whenever I wanted to emerge from the marina and start cruising again.

The loss of the prompt payment discount is a major disincentive to getting a Gold licence, I find!

The OP is simply searching for something to moan about and sneer at. As I say she should find a new hobby.

Perfect case of someone posting their observations and thoughts and someone else reading it and trying to interpret it into something it was not meant to be. And isn't it funny how two people reading the same material can take different things from it.

I read it as her giving some useful info on the current status of the vm's in the area and the state of water taps, which if in the area or heading in that direction would indeed be quite useful. I didn't see it as her having a pop at anyone, just stating that it might be lost revenue which could be spent on maintenance which I would hope we all agree would be a good thing.

I've actually met Bunny and she is actually a lovely lady who cares very much about the canals, she does the majority of the repairs herself on their boat and knows her way around a tiller as well. So not really someone with their head stuck up their proverbial ***

Fair enough, I can think of loads of other things to be doing whilst we cruise, it would strain my eyes trying to see people's licenses.

But to each their own really.

Fair enough, I can think of loads of other things to be doing whilst we cruise, it would strain my eyes trying to see people's licenses.

But to each their own really.

Exactly. There is so much more to cruising than peering at people's licenses and drawing spurious conclusions from them.

You could make a game of it Bunny, as you approach a group of moored boats, have a bet on which one's will be showing licences & which wont. Oh, and next time you cruise by me, check me kitchen! I put a lot of effort into that.

Nice boat by the way, very shiny.

Bradford on Avon water point has a newish plastic connector that has worn threads. I used PTFE tape at Easter to get the hose to stay on. I don't think these taps are robust enough for canal use.

As for un-licensed boats. I sure many you saw were licensed but not displaying it.

Those that are un-licensed are free loaders and need to realize that life costs.

Exactly. There is so much more to cruising than peering at people's licenses and drawing spurious conclusions from them.

LOL - you seem to be making a point of misinterpreting posts Dave, or is the above your attempt at humour?

To clarify and make it as plain as possible for anyone to get the jist of my 2nd post (#16) What Bunny did, is not something I would probably do, however I took No offence from her post at all nor did I think there was any malice intended. I actually envisioned her and her OH making a game of it whilst covering a section of canal they have more than likely travelled many times in the past. And to identify how two different people could read the same post and react so differently to what was written.

I found it shared some potentially important information for folks cruising in the area, & her take on what she observed on their cruise; you found it to be a post to moan about and try to turn it into something negative & distasteful when in fact your post which I copied in #16 is indeed negative, distasteful, nasty and uncalled for IMO

I'd go as far as to suggest that your post might reflect someone looking for posts to "moan about & sneer at" and maybe it's you who should be "looking for a new hobby"

Maybe I'll count how many people I see feeding ducks bread today on our cruise, and report back later, whilst also mentioning locks that I have difficulty operating or low pounds. Could you find something in that to moan about? (and yes that was sarcasm)

• Greenie 3

My comments were purely observational . I realised at the time of posting not everyone would appreciate them . Yes we have a shiny boat. I also have a hyperactive husband who can't tinker with engines ect .... well he could but it really wouldn't be a good idea . So he polishes and paints the boat , has almost rubbed the paint off after eleven years . Im not moaning or even having a winge, I'm not a sad person who has nothing better to do than count boats , just mentioning what we saw as we ticked over past the moored boats. I could of mentioned more but its not my business. Our very first trip in our boat eleven years ago was from Aldermaston to Bath and back , the K and A is a lovely canal and we always enjoy a cruise along most of it once a year before we head 'up north' or when we come back . We love our lifestyle and say a silent thank you every morning we look out onto the water . Live in a house..... not after living on water. Thanks Betty for your comments much appreciated , hope you have a great summer with easy locks and sunny skies!!!! We also saw 2 watervoles, a fat fox, a pair of beautiful barn owls hunting during the day across Hungerford marsh and a couple of deer . One night at about 3am the most magnificent blood red moon. Lucky or what . Off to dry dock in May bowthruster gearbox packed up. ... yes I can drive perfectly well without but prefer not to squash plastics in the Thames locks. Also gives my husband something to do , earning the money to pay for it . Bunny.

• Greenie 1

I don't know Bunny but I know the boat. We followed about 15 mins behind them them up a long flight of locks and they kindly set every lock for us to make our passage easier. I remembered that as a nice consideration you dont see down here too much in London way.

Edited by mark99

At the end of the day we should all be paying for a license, Bunny's comments were perfectly acceptable.

Clearly a certain group of people are in the 'look the other way' party - that is fine but everyone is entitled to an opinion :)

If we had ANPR type systems for the canal's it would stop the scroungers / dodgers and perhaps then the system would have more income to help maintain it.