Braunston festival

jackson-best

Featured Posts

I was talking to Posh Tim today, its all going on as usual on the weekend of the 27th June.

I don't suppose you could persuade him to get the volume of the evening entertainments in the beer tent lowered to the point where at least some conversation is possible?

It is almost enough to deter me from going, frankly - a very great shame because otherwise the event is great fun.

I know what Alan means about the music. Most people who congregate in the evenings want to natter with old friends and make new ones, including many forum members. For this you need to be able to hear yourself speak.

The past couple of years have been cold and raining and so everyone huddled into the tent where the music is. In previous years when folk have spread out, the loud music was tolerable.

I can hardly believe that I've been going to this event for the past eleven years. It's a great weekend and one around which we plan our summer cruising.

For me one of the delights is to meet the sadly dwindling band of ex-working boatmen and women. I think some are a bit bemused by what some of us have done to "their" boats, but it's a privilege to listen to their stories.

Does anybody know when it's on?

Lynsey

Gave Shane all the details several weeks ago

we where talking of organising a get together with other family members that are connected to our tree's .

I meet up with loads of mine there each year xxx

speak to Nikki she goes to Braunston & was thinking of coming down this way for the Ricky festival you are bound to bump into some of your Best rellies there .

Edited by jeannette smith harrison

I don't suppose you could persuade him to get the volume of the evening entertainments in the beer tent lowered to the point where at least some conversation is possible?

It is almost enough to deter me from going, frankly - a very great shame because otherwise the event is great fun.

I think he has had lots of feedback of the same, but I don't think he is of a mind to change it!

Completely agree with this. GOOD music doesnt need to be loud.

Tim

I think he has had lots of feedback of the same, but I don't think he is of a mind to change it!

When I spoke to him about it directly, he actually said he was not a fan of the loud music himself, but rather acted as if it was somebody else's decision, and he had no part in it. :wacko:

Seemed a bit odd.

I must admit for the last two years we have actually said "I'm not sure we will bother next year", which seems a bit of a shame when it is still just about managing to hang on as the event with most boats attending, (but not by a lot these days).

I guess actually we will roll over and still go, particularly if we can get the "new" boat there, but I know for certain that some have stopped going, (you don't need to be a genius - the numbers alone show that).

Before I put off other people generaly, I would stress this is still a great event, and this issue only really affects those there in the evenings, particularly, as Koukouvagia says, if it is raining and cold. If we can actually free "Sickle" from the massed boats, we have tended to use it as evening transport to an alternate venue!

I have also found the sound level of the music in the evening too loud to enjoy, to enjoy the music or the company of friends.

Having said that the last time I had boats at the Braunston gathering was 2007, and on that occasion the owners of the small Woolwich motor tied outside of us (five boats out - RAYMOND then NUTFIELD then CORONA then BUCKDEN then small Woolwich motor) played drums on their cabin top all night long on the Saturday, and completely ignored the protests of the surrounding boaters. I also woke up on the Sunday morning to find they had walked over the scrubbed ash strips around the hatches of RAYMOND, and as it was very wet and muddy I was pretty unimpressed. I lost all respect for the owner of that Small Woolwich motor, and although this boat has changed hands the former owner now has another 'historic' boat captain.gif

I'm not sure that we will be at the Braunston show this year as we shall either be en route to Llangollen, or the boat will already be moored up there, in which case we will have no where to stay.

I have to say that the quality of the music at the show has degenerated over the past few years almost

simultaneously with the increase in volume. In earlier years most of the music was acoustic, gently aided by modest amplification, and comprised mainly of folk and jazz genre, all which seemed to fit in well with the "traditional" nature of the event. Last year we were accosted by a very mediocre rock band who seemed to think that volume was a good substitute for talent. I spent as much time in the tent as it took to order beer and retreated as far away as possible in the vain hope that I might actually be able to hear what was being said over the announcement system during the parade.

All of which is a great pity because i also like meeting up with former working boat people and with old friends who i rarely see, except at Braunston, Having said that, if the boat is still at the mooring I will probably go, but hope for good weather and keep well away from the beer tent (except for purchases!!)

Edited by David Schweizer

I wonder if it's worth, instead of complaining on here, writing a letter/petition and getting it signed by as many boaters as possible to show the strength of feeling in this regard? Presumably they put on loud entertainment because they think it's what "people" want! We need to prove that we're not just a grumbling bunch of old curmudgeons waving our walking sticks, but represent a significant majority of evening attendees!

Edited by Black Ibis