Stern seating ideas

Willienelson

Featured Posts

Hi all

I have a rear pulpit rail on my narrowboat, ( commonly referred to as pushpit), and on long journeys I could do with a seat to let me take the load off for a while. We have a trad style stern but as it's a white bear boat she's quite wide and rounded at the stern, sort of a cross between cruiser and trad style, but not semi trad.

Small perch style padded seats are easy to get hold of but I'm struggling to find a fixing to secure it to the pulpit rail.

Any ideas or suppliers?

Regards

Pete

Hi all

I have a rear pulpit rail on my narrowboat, ( commonly referred to as pushpit), and on long journeys I could do with a seat to let me take the load off for a while. We have a trad style stern but as it's a white bear boat she's quite wide and rounded at the stern, sort of a cross between cruiser and trad style, but not semi trad.

Small perch style padded seats are easy to get hold of but I'm struggling to find a fixing to secure it to the pulpit rail.

Any ideas or suppliers?

Regards

Pete

Can you fit them outside the arc of the tiller?

My trad came with taff rail bum rests which (this post has reminded me) I must remember to tear off and beat myself with! It's not that I've had a problem with them, it's that I keep getting tangled up in the black and yellow tape and falling over the orange cones that serve to warn about the tiller swept arcs. blush.png

Sus'pose it's not exactly what you want but.... it wedges on roof as the roof pulls in at the rear. (They are for Trads - just re-read and you don't have a trad - doh).

IMAG2598_zps41a49d86.jpg

IMAG2597_zps5399c538.jpg

IMAG2571_zps79e14ebf.jpg

Edited by mark99

My trad came with taff rail bum rests which (this post has reminded me) I must remember to tear off and beat myself with! It's not that I've had a problem with them, it's that I keep getting tangled up in the black and yellow tape and falling over the orange cones that serve to warn about the tiller swept arcs. :blush:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/385605/Fatal_Injuries_from_Propeller_Flyer.pdf

My trad came with taff rail bum rests which (this post has reminded me) I must remember to tear off and beat myself with! It's not that I've had a problem with them, it's that I keep getting tangled up in the black and yellow tape and falling over the orange cones that serve to warn about the tiller swept arcs. blush.png

Perhaps you could explain the humour of your comment to the family of the lady who was killed at Varney's Lock when the tiller bar swept her off the back deck.

• Greenie 3

Perhaps you could explain the humour of your comment to the family of the lady who was killed at Varney's Lock when the tiller bar swept her off the back deck.

What a stupid and insensitive comment

the accident you refer to had noting to do with seating in the tiller arc

• Greenie 1

The issue with rails and seats in confined area is that:

1) Tillers can cause crush injury against seat or block your escape from a swinging tiller

2) Rails can send you over head first into prop.

The probability (risk) may be low, but consequences (hazard) bad. Best eliminate.

From Marine Accident Investigation Bureau:

"A family were enjoying a holiday on a hired narrow boat. While attempting to moor alongside, waiting their turn for a lock, the boat struck the canal bank. The helmsman was seen to tip over the guard rail around the stern and fall into the water. The engine was stopped quickly, but the helmsman was entangled in the propeller and died from his injuries.

Action taken:

The Chief Inspector of Marine Accidents has published a Safety Flyer, circulated with the assistance of industry associations and voluntary bodies to raise awareness of the lessons learnt from this accident. A letter has also been written to the hire company highlighting safety issues to consider:

Where guard rails are fitted, that they are of adequate height to prevent people from falling overboard near the propeller."

Here's the MAIB flyer, with more details about how the tragedy occurred: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/385605/Fatal_Injuries_from_Propeller_Flyer.pdf

Can't be repeated often enough: NEVER stand within the tiller arc when reversing.

Edited by Québec

Ok, let's not get into the health and safety issues here, I can see both sides of the issues and we shouldn't get personal.

This thread was started with the fact in mind that h&s has no issue here as seating is outside of the arc of the tiller.

I'm after a securing bracket, I'm not after starting arguments.

Anyone any ideas on brackets to secure to the rail?

Pete

Ok, let's not get into the health and safety issues here, I can see both sides of the issues and we shouldn't get personal.

This thread was started with the fact in mind that h&s has no issue here as seating is outside of the arc of the tiller.

I'm after a securing bracket, I'm not after starting arguments.

Anyone any ideas on brackets to secure to the rail?

Pete

What shape is the rail, flat or round?

If round, It's probably a quick job for a welder to put on a couple of flat plate stubs to bolt the seat to, so it can't swivel or tip.