Anyone able to place the date of this print?

Joseph

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

I have recently been looking at a framed print that belonged to the late Charles Hadfield. It is believed that this was presented to him on his retirement from the British Waterways Board in 1966, or possibly earlier, when he retired in order to join BWB in 1963!

Here is a link to an image of the relevant print - I hope I have done this correctly....!!:

https://imageshack.com/i/p1WUwrIAj

I wonder if anyone is familiar with this, and any idea who drew it, who published it, and when? Any clues would be very helpful.

Regards

Joseph

https://josephboughey.wordpress.com/

What is the legend bottom left? I would guess "Published by Contemporary D ???, London".

The drawing is a bit stylised, so is hard to date! My initial thought was "Camden Lock, London" (Hampstead Rd) but there are so many reasons why it is not.... It could be further east on the Regents?

Grand Junction Canal

ecblank.gifecblank.gifecblank.gif Title: Grand Junction Canal County: London Location: Medium: Lithograph ecblank.gif Artist: Lamb L Date: 1938 Dimensions: 445 x 597 mm Colour: Colour ecblank.gif Laid on board. Lynton Lamb rare limited edition lithograph.

Done by searching Google by image, you input the location of the image, found by right clicking on it and Google does the rest.

Almost certainly intended to depict Hampstead Road top. Cranked overlapping balance beams but especially the horse bridge set at an angle, industry on the left and Gilbey's warehouses beyond. One heck of a big mug of tea on the cabin top.

Almost certainly intended to depict Hampstead Road top. Cranked overlapping balance beams but especially the horse bridge set at an angle, industry on the left and Gilbey's warehouses beyond. One heck of a big mug of tea on the cabin top.

And the gates leaked in 1938 too!