Question about CC vv Non CC

Pete of Ebor

Featured Posts

Now you're just being provocative.

The only reason I pay for a mooring on both my boats is the law says I 'need' the moorings so I can use my boats in the way I want.

I don't need the the moorings.

Goes without saying most folk will leave the boat in the mooring and not themselves.

I wonder which tax threshold you are refering to?

It's not so easy now and the younger generation are fed up with the older generation rubbing it in their faces. I wonder how that will reflect itself when we are very old?

I think you need to either examine the chip on your shoulder or stop being deliberately provocative. Just for info, I AM the older generation, and the tax threshold is the one where you don't pay any tax. Some of us were just careful, lived within our means and paid for our fun as we went along (mind you, as a musician all my life, I generally got paid for having fun, which was nice). The younger generation has to live within their means, same as we had to, and if that means they can't afford to live on a boat, then that's just what it means. You have to pay your dues.

Edited to add this is off topic & descending to the personal so i shall cease to be provoked any further!

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

I think you need to either examine the chip on your shoulder or stop being deliberately provocative. Just for info, I AM the older generation, and the tax threshold is the one where you don't pay any tax. Some of us were just careful, lived within our means and paid for our fun as we went along (mind you, as a musician all my life, I generally got paid for having fun, which was nice). The younger generation has to live within their means, same as we had to, and if that means they can't afford to live on a boat, then that's just what it means. You have to pay your dues.

Edited to add this is off topic & descending to the personal so i shall cease to be provoked any further!

I don't have a chip on my shoulder, I'm just pointing out that it's not so easy for the younger generation to afford a house and a boat these days. In fact I'd say it's impossible if they are below the tax threshold. You may have been fortunate to grow up in a generation where it was possible. Sorry, but there are boaters who are just trying to survive. To disregard them by saying they should just 'move along' is disrespectful in my mind.

it's not so easy for the younger generation to afford a house and a boat these days. In fact I'd say it's impossible

I would agree with the statement above. Where we differ is if the younger generation can't afford a house and a boat they have to choose which they want.

If they choose the boat they have to be prepared to "satisfy the board" they are CCing or have a home mooring.

I would agree with the statement above. Where we differ is if the younger generation can't afford a house and a boat they have to choose which they want.

If they choose the boat they have to be prepared to "satisfy the board" they are CCing or have a home mooring.

Someone is fortunate if they have the choice between a house or boat. The point is that for some, a boat or caravan is the only choice. Well unless they decide to chose a council flat at the tax payers expense.

Someone is fortunate if they have the choice between a house or boat. The point is that for some, a boat or caravan is the only choice. Well unless they decide to chose a council flat at the tax payers expense.

The point I am making is simple. Whatever you choose you need to "play by the rules" be the accommodation land based or water based. I wouldn't expect the young person who chose a council flat to disobey the council rules just as I don't expect those who choose a boat to disobey the rules.

If the rules of the canal don't suit them then perhaps the council flat is the best choice.

Probably only having that choice is why there is a problem along the London towpaths.

Just grateful I don't,t have to be one of them.

Not sure of the answer as cheap London housing will never happen.

Just out of interest where are these Council flats that you say are available to young couples

All sold long ago by a government that only got it half right.

They forgot to replace the ones they sold.

Just out of interest where are these Council flats that you say are available to young couples

same place they were when I looked many years ago not available. It's never been easy. It seems easier to get housing benefit on land than on the canal.

We are lucky having both house and boat, gave a homeless guy currently living in a van close to us the use of our shower and some work yesterday. He has a judgement against him for non payment of council tax which has put him off trying to sort out job seeker allowance and accomodation. Humbling that the judgement is less than our boat license. Not everyone is a scrounger.

The point I am making is simple. Whatever you choose you need to "play by the rules" be the accommodation land based or water based. I wouldn't expect the young person who chose a council flat to disobey the council rules just as I don't expect those who choose a boat to disobey the rules.

If the rules of the canal don't suit them then perhaps the council flat is the best choice.

Well as I have suggested before CRT have a very small role to play with the housing problem. People have always lived on the waterways. The rules only work until those who are desperate have no choice but to bend them. Those who want to 'socially cleanse' the waterways are pushing the rules to suit their agenda (which is just as bad)

same place they were when I looked many years ago not available. It's never been easy. It seems easier to get housing benefit on land than on the canal.

We are lucky having both house and boat, gave a homeless guy currently living in a van close to us the use of our shower and some work yesterday. He has a judgement against him for non payment of council tax which has put him off trying to sort out job seeker allowance and accomodation. Humbling that the judgement is less than our boat license. Not everyone is a scrounger.

I wish I had a "greenie" left to give you, I'm a firm believer in "paying it forward".

Simple acts of kindness & humanity, like you did yesterday have (IMO) more impact on our social well being than anything a government invented scheme will ever do regardless of their well meaning intentions.

But surely the original post was predicated to do just that.

They claimed to have read posts on here but then said they didn't understand the difference. There is enough info. on here to be able to differentiate, surely?

I just think the Op was bored and is just stiring the excrement.

Seeing as the OP has not posted again in this thread, I think you're right.

Well as I have suggested before CRT have a very small role to play with the housing problem. People have always lived on the waterways. The rules only work until those who are desperate have no choice but to bend them. Those who want to 'socially cleanse' the waterways are pushing the rules to suit their agenda (which is just as bad)

Don't be silly, nobody wants to socially cleanse the waterways, we all like the variety.

The're the new homes we are going to have to pay for.

Paying for homes which remain council property and can be used for a number of generations is better than pouring housing benefit into the pockets of landlords with no tangible return IMO.

Paying for homes which remain council property and can be used for a number of generations is better than pouring housing benefit into the pockets of landlords with no tangible return IMO.

We all come into the world with nothing, and go out with nothing. In the mean time lets just hope nice people control us. If you've got a nice council then that's great. I'm still trying to work out if CRT are a nice council (in the loose sense)...

Edited because of beer...

Edited by bassplayer