New alternator

The Maestro

Featured Posts

Are you talking about the physical fitting of it, or whether it will do the job when fitted?

Do you mean a 175A alternator? Or is that just a model number?

175A alternators will require a toothed belt and special pulleys, IMHO.

Are you talking about the physical fitting of it, or whether it will do the job when fitted?

Do you mean a 175A alternator? Or is that just a model number?

175A alternators will require a toothed belt and special pulleys, IMHO.

Ok thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the belt type. I guess that crank and water pump pulleys are directly available parts from Vetus?

As I have bought the 175A alternator cheaply on ebay I would like to persevere and make it fit but it is not clear with it sitting here on the table whether or not it will fit.

Ok thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the belt type. I guess that crank and water pump pulleys are directly available parts from Vetus?

As I have bought the 175A alternator cheaply on ebay I would like to persevere and make it fit but it is not clear with it sitting here on the table whether or not it will fit.

If the pulleys are available from the engine manufacturer rather than Vetus I would try there first as the vetus ones will no doubt be a ridiculous price.

Tim

175 amp - cheap on internet! Before going too far please make sure it is not an engine ECU controlled machine. If it is I have some doubts if it is possible to get it to work properly without even more expense, if at all. What vehicle is it supposed to fit?

Having paid for the alternator, you may consider getting a bracket made to fit it. the two things you will need to check and likely change are the belt and pulleys driving the alt from the crankshaft, AND the output wire from the alternator wherever it goes. As the new alternator will put out up to three times the current that a typical original fitment alternator would then a much bigger cable seems a good idea. A typical 175a alt is well beyond a single Vee belt so either a matched pair of vee belts or a polyvee belt will be needed

It may be prudent to spend 15 minutes or so removing the old alt' and offering up the new one, to make sure that it will fit

in the space provided.

Then take some measurements in case you need to have new brackets made.

You may have bought the alternator for a good price on fleabay but the fitting, what with new pulleys, bespoke brackets and possible bigger

cables, may not be the bargain it appeared to be.

I know it's not what you want hear, sorry.

But good luck anyway.

Let us know how you get on.

Rob....

Some wise words here, Maestro. Boats are seldom cheap to get right, but generally ok once you've done it.

If you DO go to the trouble of fitting your monster alternator, I'd also consider getting yourself a second one cheapie from fleabay and keep it for when yours goes tits up, which they do. Then, don't throw the dead one away - swap it out for your spare and get the dead one fixed for £40 by an auto fixer.

Keep the lads informed! There are a few proper experts here.

Some wise words here, Maestro. Boats are seldom cheap to get right, but generally ok once you've done it.

If you DO go to the trouble of fitting your monster alternator, I'd also consider getting yourself a second one cheapie from fleabay and keep it for when yours goes tits up, which they do. Then, don't throw the dead one away - swap it out for your spare and get the dead one fixed for £40 by an auto fixer.

Keep the lads informed! There are a few proper experts here.

Or just keep the old one for a spare.

Neil.

Do you know if it is even the right hand, if not you wont be able to fit at all.

Neil.

A large alternator is most likely to have a Large Frame type mount - J180 (?) - and that implies a special bracket. On some engines there aren't (m)any suitable fixing points any way. I had to mount mine on extended engine beds.

To drive it you would need twin A section belts or preferably Poly-v belts - from which you can get better pulley ratios as well as a better drive. Such large and small pulleys can be purchase form those who supply travel power units.

Not cheap

Anything else could / would be a bodge and unreliable.

Been there - so a considered opinion.