Narrow boat. Hull paint

Featured Posts

If you are going to shotblast it, pay a bit more and coat it with a 2 pack, epoxy or comastic. You will get far better protection, and will not see the waterline stripped as soon as someone lets their fuel tank dipstick drip in the water near your boat!!!

If you are going to shotblast it, pay a bit more and coat it with a 2 pack, epoxy or comastic. You will get far better protection, and will not see the waterline stripped as soon as someone lets their fuel tank dipstick drip in the water near your boat!!!

Definitely. A total waste of money grit blasting a hull to bitumen black it, at the very least use Comastic but I'd epoxy coat it. You might also consider something like Zinga which some members of the forum seem to rate highly.

Thanks for replys. I never thought about. Oil,ice ,etc. do you put any thing on top of comastic.

Ice boards.

Pmsl you're as bad as me I soent 15 yrs puttin it on in a well known boat builders weren't my job but didn't mind doin it gettin it off is a diff matter

Most of us manage to do it within a week...

I don't know if anyone remembers but there was a thread a while ago about someone painting their hull with standard B&Q external gloss paint, and amazingly it was still stuck to the boat years later. I reckon you'd be far better off using something like that in preference to bitumen which is probably the worst thing you can protect your hull with these days.

Have you considered using a 2 pack epoxy blacking? As you are already shotblasting the hull the only additional cost will be for the paint, and epoxy blacking lasts 3-5 times as long whilst providing better protection.

When I next black my boat I will go for epoxy blacking, but in my case will have to pay extra to have the old domestic blacking removed and the hull shot blasted before the expoxy blacking can be applied.