A good reason for horses not using the towpath LOL

bigste

Featured Posts

I found it rather sad, the horse looked frightened or was it just me imagining it was..I was glad the others on the far tow path came back for it, the rider didn't seem to be too bothered?

Posh version of motorbikes on the towpath

just looked like people enjoying themselves to me, I like the ones that carefully went round the boat :)

Good point. I wonder if the dogs were on the towpath side really.

Or is there much (or any) canal mileage with a towpath on both sides? Not sure this has ever bin discussed before!

You can clearly see the footpath / towpath on the dog's side for a moment. Yes there certainly are canals with towpaths on both side - the parts of BCN for one, including Netherton tunnel. But I'm not sure where the clip is taken and couldn't swear that there isn't a towpath on the horse' side, but it doesn't look like it. If there is, the person who put the boat in the way is more antisocial than the horse riders IMO, who are galloping/cantering but as far as we can see, not in the vicinity of anyone.

You can clearly see the footpath / towpath on the dog's side for a moment. Yes there certainly are canals with towpaths on both side - the parts of BCN for one, including Netherton tunnel. But I'm not sure where the clip is taken and couldn't swear that there isn't a towpath on the horse' side, but it doesn't look like it. If there is, the person who put the boat in the way is more antisocial than the horse riders IMO, who are galloping/cantering but as far as we can see, not in the vicinity of anyone.

maybe it was a club outing fatigue.gif and the boat was supposed to be a fun element?

Yes I was subconsciously musing about that too. A dinghy blocking the towpath is unheard of so may well have been put there deliberately.

Only one towpath in the Netherton now, one side has bin fenced orf IIRC! Shame really, not sure why...

Yes I was subconsciously musing about that too. A dinghy blocking the towpath is unheard of so may well have been put there deliberately.

Only one towpath in the Netherton now, one side has bin fenced orf IIRC! Shame really, not sure why...

Well to be pedantic (moi?) there are still 2 towpaths through netherton, you just can't get onto one of them very easily!

The canal from the tunnel down to the mainline at Dudley Port Jn has towpath both sides, as does brum to Tipton on the new mainline.

Ditto the Tame Valley. I guess it's a feature of the more modern canals.

Edited by nicknorman

Well to be pedantic (moi?) there are still 2 towpaths through netherton, you just can't get onto one of them very easily!

The canal from the tunnel down to the mainline at Dudley Port Jn has towpath both sides, as does brum to Tipton on the new mainline.

Ditto the Tame Valley. I guess it's a feature of the more modern canals.

Coseley Tunnel also has towpaths on each side although I'm not entirely sure why since approaching from Factory locks there is only one towpath on the right!

The horse that refused and leapt for the the cut looked no more frightened/alarmed than any other horses that regularly decide to piss about with a fence and ditch the rider, due to being threatened by the presence of a stray crisp packet, invisible demon or general pigheadedness. Not that similar has ever happened to me, obvs. :D