Love my pram hood.

Humblespud

Featured Posts

If I had another cruiser I would definitely have a pram hood as I think they are pretty much essential on a cruiser stern for all sorts of reasons.

But it's a fact the vast majority of them look awful. It's very difficult to get the design sympathetic with the lines of a narrowboat but that's the price you pay I guess.

I agree but narrowboats are peculiar looking things anyway. They're built to fit into a system first, looks second. Shoving something on the back with the same functional basis seems kind of appropriate.

I agree but narrowboats are peculiar looking things anyway. They're built to fit into a system first, looks second. Shoving something on the back with the same functional basis seems kind of appropriate.

That is my take on it. The NB is the most unboat like boat. They do the job very well though; Form follows function and all that.

I see our pram hood as a "temporary" thing, that can be lowered when necessary. Couldn't give a sh1t what others think TBH :) Can't see why we have all the fuss about a bit of aluminimum tube and PVC from time to time.

Surely they make it tricky to get from rear-deck to roof & back. I don't have one.

Not too bad if designed correctly, but I suppose it depends on the layout of the boat. I dislike the pramhood most when locking, and always put it down for same. I know others who manage perfectly well with the hood up. That aside, and despite one or two disadvantages, my boat would feel incomplete without one. Must say the vast majority of hood use is when we are moored.

We all have different needs/cruising patterns/types of stern though.

That is my take on it. The NB is the most unboat like boat. They do the job very well though; Form follows function and all that.

I see our pram hood as a "temporary" thing, that can be lowered when necessary. Couldn't give a sh1t what others think TBH smile.png Can't see why we have all the fuss about a bit of aluminimum tube and PVC from time to time.

Stainless steel and canvas tongue.png

Stainless steel and canvas tongue.png

Fair enough :)

I think our old Dolphin cruiser of many moons ago had stainless supports for the hood, but it's so long ago I can't be certain (pushng 50 years.)

I'm not sure what the anti pram hood types object to exactly.

Jealousy?

Some hoods look a bit unwieldy TBH.

My widebeam seems to suit it better.

But surely they're even more unwieldy on widebeams?

I think the anti-pram hood types object to anything they deem not to be "traditional" (like widebeams, bow thrusters, etc, etc), conveniently forgetting of course, that having a full length superstructure with accommodation on a narrow boat isn't traditional either.

I'm not anti-pram hood. I'm sure they're very practical for storing boots, engine maintenance and cruising in all weather, but I'm just not a big fan of how they look.

I can't imagine having one on my boat. It would be like a circus tent!

IMG-20131221-00536_zpsa1a40662.jpg

Edited by blackrose

I had one on my N/B and loved it now have a wheel house on my widebeam and love that. I hate being wet had far to much of that in the ARMY. We had a saying any fool can be uncomfortable............................................................and I do see lots of boaters soaked to the skin looking very miserable maybe they are just jealous of us clapping.gif

Peter

I think the anti-pram hood types object to anything they deem not to be "traditional" (like widebeams, bow thrusters, etc, etc), conveniently forgetting of course, that having a full length superstructure with accommodation on a narrow boat isn't traditional either.

I'm not anti-pram hood. I'm sure they're very practical for storing boots, engine maintenance and cruising in all weather, but I'm just not a big fan of how they look.

On the Northern Waterways we regularly used to see boats like yours with pram hoods and they looked just fine.

you reckon :lol:

aqualine-canterbury-60ft-x-10ft-wide-bea

Fair enough :)

I think our old Dolphin cruiser of many moons ago had stainless supports for the hood, but it's so long ago I can't be certain (pushng 50 years.)

Wow that takes me back! My first boat was a dolphin plywood cruiser. ..used to forever spring leaks, so more than once i balanced it on a lock cill to do a running repair! ....used to sleep with one arm or leg hanging out of bed so if it got wet it was time to get up and start pumping water!

Sorry for going off topic, just bought back some wonderful memories.

Rick

Wow that takes me back! My first boat was a dolphin plywood cruiser. ..used to forever spring leaks, so more than once i balanced it on a lock cill to do a running repair! ....used to sleep with one arm or leg hanging out of bed so if it got wet it was time to get up and start pumping water!

Sorry for going off topic, just bought back some wonderful memories.

Rick

It has been said that Dolphin boats were built originally from the plywood packaging that aeroplane panels were delivered in (Brooklands Aviation built them.) I don't know if that is accurate. Our Dolphin was a great boat on which we explored a lot of the canal system from about 1967-70.

dolly.jpg