Do top loading stoves smoke?

OldPeculier

Featured Posts

As the title says, Do top loading stoves smoke when you fill them? I have a hankering for a Godin or similar but dont fancy a face full of smoke every time I need to fill it up.

All opinions valued.

Just sold a boat with a top loading stove. Fantastic stove which I already miss like hell. No problems with smoke except the odd puff on very windy days like with any stove.

Tim

We have a Godin Radiolette in Trojan. When it's getting going it does emit some smoke when we raise the top lid to put more wood in; once it's nicely heated (and, I suspect more to the point, when the flue and chimney are nicely heated) it does not smoke.

It can be front loaded also, but with care, in case one dislodges the grate which is retained by a couple of lugs a few inches above the stove's floor.

Edited by Athy

A pretty thing, and nicely compact for a corner of your boat! Ours is more rectangular in shape.

That's a modern one I think, but although ours is circa 1934 many of the fitments (feet, door closure, air control, grate support) just have not changed at all. How pleasant to see a company which works on the "If it is not broken, don't fix it, merde alors" principle.

Have you put "Godin Stove" into eBay's search engine? There are quite a few models for sale at all sorts of prices!

Edited by Athy

I see that a Radiolette was sold last month on eBay for only £275. There is one currently advertised, but the "Godin" search does not reveal it! It comes under "Antique French wood burning stove", about four or five items down. Some of the others listed are worth a look, too.

After a long search for the perfect stove I concluded that you can have functionality or beauty, but not both at the same time.

If you want a stove like that then maybe an occasional puff of smoke is a price worth paying.

...............Dave

That's the stove we have on our boat. Fantastic stove and a lot nicer looking than those other bland little stoves you can get. Make sure you've got enough room behind though, with a 5 " flue pipe sticking out of the back and the clearance you need away from the sides does push the fire out a bit.

Darren

We had that model of stove in the hallway/kitchen in the first house we lived in after moving to France it was fantastic as said just an odd puff on windy day although your set up would be very different from the one we had, as our stove pipe was 150mm dia & passed through 2, 1/2 storeys & contained a heat exchanger ( radiator type device that the smoke /heat passed through ) that warmed a room on the 2nd floor The stove pipe was not insulated as the building was stone & when built was not a requirement & with that length of pipe the draw was exceptional so much so we had a glowing red pipe on a couple of occasions until we got the hang of the settings really miss it.