Holding tank crud removal

Psycloud

Featured Posts

Our boat is getting on for 20 years old and has a long (6') narrow holding tank. I think there's a fair amount of build up laying in it which doesn't get sucked out during pump out. Other than removing the toilet there's no access to the tank so is there something I can pour in there after the next pump out (a gallon of blue for example) that will liquify the sludge ready for next pump out?

I'm not sure how much blue we should be adding each pump out anyways but it's probably not enough, we use the pint the marina give us.

That would be difficult as the toilet is right at one end and the only access is through the dump through opening. The reason I was asking about chemical dispersal is so I can do it between pump outs. Using water would mean trying to complete the operation whilst at the pump out point.

There's plenty of room to get an angled pipe down the dump through. Make yourself something out of thin copper pipe, if you bend the last inch or two through 90 degrees you can feed this down the bog and give the tank a good jet wash. The internal baffles will be a limitation but a good water flow from below the bog to the suction pipe should do the job, especially if you rock the boat at the same time. A few boatyards, especially those with a hire fleet, will have such a device if you don't want to make one.

Do take care, with a good water tap and a small bore copper pipe you can make quite a potent jet and so there is potential for messy accidents. I have a valve on mine so I can turn it off rather than depending on an assistant outside the boat.

.............Dave

I'm not sure how much blue we should be adding each pump out anyways but it's probably not enough, we use the pint the marina give us.

That could well be your problem right there...

Conventional 'blue' is like chemical warfare and may literally embalm your poo into into a unbiodegradable poo mountain. sick.gif

Have a trawl of the US RV forums, there's scads of topics on just this subject and how best to avoid the dreaded poo mountain effect.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

You could try using a "green" rather than a blue.

A few people even manage with nothing at all, especially in the winter, then the money saved can be put towards pumping out a bit more often

...........Dave

There are attachments available for pressure washers that are a flexible hose with a jet head. These heads are designed to pull themselves along pipework by use of rear facing jets. If you feed one of these into your tank (which is effectively a wide tube) and waggle it around a lot, you will certainly dislodge a lot of sh1t.

Also as said by Neil Smith above, a good strong caustic solution will help to dissolve any organic matter. You must be very careful with caustic, full protective clothing is strongly recommended if using it, specially in conjunction with hoses.

Bob

Yoghurt and dried yeast.

I have heard of this but not tried it, have you done it and does it work?

If you get the right yeast does it turn the poo into beer? (or turn the wee back into beer?)

..............Dave

I have heard of this but not tried it, have you done it and does it work?

If you get the right yeast does it turn the poo into beer? (or turn the wee back into beer?)

..............Dave

Dave,

I am quite sure that the yeast DOES turn the poo onto beer, but haven't actually done a taste test. However, since you appear to be interested in this method of brewing, you are very welcome to come round and try a sample for yourself. There will be no charge; I can say quite sincerely that the pleasure will be all mine.

• Greenie 1

Dave,

I am quite sure that the yeast DOES turn the poo onto beer, but haven't actually done a taste test. However, since you appear to be interested in this method of brewing, you are very welcome to come round and try a sample for yourself. There will be no charge; I can say quite sincerely that the pleasure will be all mine.

:) That has to be worth a green thing. Edited by cuthound

Yoghurt and dried yeast.

We don't put any additives in our tank. It has found its own happy medium of bacteria. It is easily upset though. We added some tablets to our water, and we flush the loo with fresh water which upset the balance in the tank. Took a few weeks to sort itself out again.

A good shake around in lumpy water helps to keep the crud build up at bay!