BT Remote control

Glynn

Featured Posts

I was thinking is it possible to have remote switches to control bow thrusters say on the tiller ?.

On my boat the joy stick control is too far away to reach especially with the tiller hard over, which is when you normally want to use it.

If your tiller is 'hard over' the rudder is likely to be ineffective.

Try a bit less and you might find you don't need a bow thruster at all.

Ed. Cross post with Matt.

Edited by The Dog House

Sorry, I probably explained it wrong, and I "don't need " a BT but thats not the point.

I was just asking if theres a way of either wiring in a remote switch or something else.

Not trying to start another BT Vs no BT debate, I hardly ever use it anyway.

Sorry, I probably explained it wrong, and I "don't need " a BT but thats not the point.

I was just asking if theres a way of either wiring in a remote switch or something else.

Not trying to start another BT Vs no BT debate, I hardly ever use it anyway.

There probably is, unscrew it, extend the wires and bracket it to your tiller arm.

However, if you hardly ever use it, (and it has no real effect when tiller is hard over) you would be cruising along looking a right pillock for having your girliebutton up there on view.

Thank you for being so helpful.

Or rather pragmatic.....

What you are asking about is simply not achievable.....but I'm sure Bizz will be along shortly to prove us wrong...

Edited by The Dog House

I had a hydraulic BT. I never used it when going ahead because it adds nothing to the turning effect of the tiller & prop. The controls were adjacent to the throttle and I only used it when reversing, ('cos it made keeping in a straight line and cornering very easy). A couple of years ago the tube leaked, so I had the ends capped. Haven't missed it.

Radio controled?

Assuming your thruster (Oh! Matron!) is controled by a three way switch, port-off-starboard, that actuates a pair of solenoids up front then it's not difficult & should be fail safe.

A small waterproof box with transmitter fits to the steering stick with a Terry clip. The reciever and solid state relays are installed in paralel to your 'real' button.

I was thinking is it possible to have remote switches to control bow thrusters say on the tiller ?.

On my boat the joy stick control is too far away to reach especially with the tiller hard over, which is when you normally want to use it.

Vetus I know do a remote for the BT. Its really just a case of interfacing the hardware with the software. Easily do-able, but probably expensive.

Post the question in a radio control plane forum. They will have the answer.

I had a hydraulic BT. I never used it when going ahead because it adds nothing to the turning effect of the tiller & prop. The controls were adjacent to the throttle and I only used it when reversing, ('cos it made keeping in a straight line and cornering very easy). A couple of years ago the tube leaked, so I had the ends capped. Haven't missed it.

Bow thrusts are not effective when moving ahead (or astern for that matter) at a speed of not much more than 1/2 mph. They are not a steering aid, which is what you have found, and they are not designed to be. However, they can be very useful in those instances where you need a sideways push.

Howard

Bow thrusts are not effective when moving ahead (or astern for that matter) at a speed of not much more than 1/2 mph. They are not a steering aid, which is what you have found, and they are not designed to be. However, they can be very useful in those instances where you need a sideways push.

Howard

Hog wash!

If you get no response then your BT must be under powered. Mine works just fine at cruising speed. Not that I need it, but I have played.

Hog wash!

If you get no response then your BT must be under powered. Mine works just fine at cruising speed. Not that I need it, but I have played.

I said not effective, I didn't say "no response". While your BT may be "just fine" at cruising speed, in my experience most are not effective at cruising speed, and they were never designed to be steering aids as such. It may be that yours is overpowered compared to the majority.

Howard

I saw 'BT' in the thread title and thought of a large telecommunications corporation.

Then I thought again -- hang on, my car says 'BT' when it means Bluetooth.

Apparently in this context BT means 'bow thruster'.

OK then, it must be possible to add the appropriate hardware and an app, to control the thrusters via Bluetooth wherever you are -- even (heaven preserve us) from the foredeck?

(No, I haven't got a girly button either).

The thruster solenoid is easily operated by a 4 x 4 winch radio controller, they are water resistant, rugged and surprisingly cheap. I normally use them on windlasses and have never done one to a bow thruster but the principle is the same.

As post #16 and #18 really, you can buy a remote winch control for around £9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wireless-Winch-12V-DC-Remote-Control-Handset-50ft-For-Car-Truck-SUV-/281571447501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item418ef752cd

I suspect the Vetus item is a bit more expensive than that.....

Edited by Paul C

Howard

On the contrary, a little thought must tell you that they WILL have an effect, even when moving at a reasonable speed, as Biggles has said. They produce sideways thrust, and that thrust MUST have an effect; it doesn't just disappear into thin air.

And where they are an absolute boon is when you have to reverse a boat that doesn't steer in reverse. With the wheel locked, you can steer a recalcitrant craft very effectively in reverse by using the bow thruster.

On the contrary, a little thought must tell you that they WILL have an effect, even when moving at a reasonable speed, as Biggles has said. They produce sideways thrust, and that thrust MUST have an effect; it doesn't just disappear into thin air.

And where they are an absolute boon is when you have to reverse a boat that doesn't steer in reverse. With the wheel locked, you can steer a recalcitrant craft very effectively in reverse by using the bow thruster.

Absolutely agree, Newton's laws of motion dictate that it must, though less effective as it must fight the forward (or astern) motion I use mine particularly when thre is a cross tide and or wind as I invariably park stern too in my berth or those I visit and it makes it steer like a fork lift astern. Yo do need a thruster with grunt though, I suspect that shallow draught inland craft have issues with siting the thruster deep enough for it to perform to it's maximum though.

Edited by NMEA

Ok, a little thought tells me that It might have been better to have said "less effective". I have been using bow thrusts for long enough to know that as speed increases the sideways component decreases. With transverse tunnels it is a result of the Venturi effect caused by water flow across the tunnel mouth.

Howard