Replacing a broken fuse box ?

waterdog

Featured Posts

Our boat has a fairly old 12v electrical system with the old house type fuse boards used as circuit protection, one of these fuse boxes has been damaged and I would like to change it for something more up to date so looking for recommendations.

This is the type fitted at present (not actual one but pretty similar)

old_fuse_box.jpg

Been looking at these but as the existing box is surface mount in a cupboard, a surface mount system would be preferable,

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/panel-6way-circuit-breaker-gs?productID=c22a2abb-f9e5-4c44-aab8-6d0a60759db9&catalogueLevelItemID=dc5393f6-0c6d-4497-8295-06d8220d923f

anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks

Edited by waterdog

I understand you want to replace / update, and it is probably not a bad move.

You don't say how existing one is broken, but just so as you are aware, in the case of damage to the fuses themselves or their carriers, they Wylex parts are still freely available.

Random example here.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion but its the body of the box that's damaged and its literally coming apart so I think replacement is the best option.

I'm quite surprised to find people selling complete units in "uninstalled" condition.

Example.

I'm not trying to encourage you down any route, but on on of our boats the 12 volt electrics actually use one of these things, and I'd be tempted top swap like with like, so all the wires still reached.

I realise that using a 240V unit for 12 volt would be frowned upon by many, but over the 10 years since the boat came this way, it has worked flawlessly, so as it is labelled up as 12 volts, I can't say I'm too concerned!

Also to bring them a little more up to date you (used) to be able to get miniature circuit breakers to replace the wire fuses, they had a slightly different base but used the same one screw fixing & contacts, so were a straight swap.

Widely available most electrical whole salers or liked of cpc

wouldn't bother still the wrong thing for the job use the panel from midland swindlers 4 bits of wood to make box to mount it on or buy a metal or plastic box ( electronic or electrical enclosure ) from somewhere like cpc

Those Wylex boxes are the best fuse box ever produced for use on 12v even though thats not their origional intended use.

I agree. Excellent for 12v. Nothing wrong with them. Far better than automotive blade fuses. There is something really basic and reliable about rewirable fuses. When one blows it is annoying enough having to re-wire it that it encourages one to fix the problem rather than just flicking the switch back UP with MCBs (which are not designed fore 12v use either!)

MtB

I realise that using a 240V unit for 12 volt would be frowned upon by many, but over the 10 years since the boat came this way, it has worked flawlessly, so as it is labelled up as 12 volts, I can't say I'm too concerned!

No need to frown really, many 240V units are rated for down to 12V but some are 24/48/120, just check what they are rated for.

(Will probably need a data sheet as they wont be marked for Minimum voltage)

They might blow a bit slower at low overcurrent due to higher internal resistance, about 20% slower.

But that is just slower it will still trigger at the rated Amps eventually.

So cable area might be an issue, especially as amp ratings are diffrent.

You might be tempted to replace a 5A/12V Fuse/Breaker with a 6A/240V Breaker but then you need to ensure that your cable length will allow the fuse to blow.

We have a later version of that box in the house, with an RCD main switch, used to have all rewirable fuses of that style but now has all MCBs apart from one cartridge fuse holder. I don't know what is the lowest rating cartridge fuse available for these.

Tim

We have a later version of that box in the house, with an RCD main switch, used to have all rewirable fuses of that style but now has all MCBs apart from one cartridge fuse holder. I don't know what is the lowest rating cartridge fuse available for these.

Tim

Its 5 Amp.