Gas Bottle cage

Featured Posts

We are now at the planning stage for refitting Robyn, as we want to install a small kitchen on the rear deck we will not have much space for a gas locker.

I did notice some boats have a cage hanging off the rear with gas bottle, are these legal and if so where would you source one from, cant seem to find any suppliers...

FYI Robyn is a GRP Cruiser (To save confusion)

Thanks

Dave

zoom.jpg?c=1403809374

Any Equestrian Shop or Agricultural Feed Merchant - called a 'Bucket Rack', or 'Bucket Holder'

Loads of different designs but in principle - all the same.

All of the racks I have seen only fit the smaller 4.5to 6 kg cylinders which is an expensive way of buying gas

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Look all OK then.

Cylinders stored in an open location:

·

must be outside of a non self-draining cockpit or well deck; and,

·

must be in a position where any leaked LPG would flow overboard unimpeded; and,

·

must be where there is no opening into the interior of the vessel, or any source of ignition, within 1m distance.

Applicability – cylinder housings (Horse Bucket Racks) may be used in open locations. Cylinder housings are ventilated enclosures intended solely for storage of one or more LPG cylinders, pressure regulators and safety devices and located on the exterior of the craft, where any leakage would flow overboard. [iSO 10239]

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Boom, nice one Rob.

Quick question though on the hose, can you put flexible hose thought the hull, plastic tube i guess? then it would need to be copper to appliance?

I would have thought not. Treat the outside of the boat as the gas locker, so all flexible pipe and the regulator should be outside, with only solid copper pipe inside. The copper pipe should have a proper bulkhead fitting where it passes through the hull to prevent damage from chafing. Flexible pipe should comply with the BSS requirements.

So bottle external with regulator on top of connection, then flexi (BSS approved) pipe to one of the below fittings through the hull, then fixed copper to appliances, what size does BSS require copper to be, and do you need a shut off valve inside boat?

1-16217.jpg

How much does the licence for the extra boat length cost?

Nowt, boat falls into the 24'8" - 27'10" at 25" so i have 2'10" to play with.

So bottle external with regulator on top of connection, then flexi (BSS approved) pipe to one of the below fittings through the hull, then fixed copper to appliances, what size does BSS require copper to be, and do you need a shut off valve inside boat?

I am fairly sure the BSS doesnt specify - however there are formula for working out the size needed depending on the appliance 'usage'. There is more to installing gas than the right sized pipe.

Its been said many times before but:

1. Read the BSS requirements.

2. You have to be 'competant' to install gas pipework and equipment in any boat.

3. For a liveaboard all work on gas systems must be done by someone who is GasSafe registered and whose ticket specifically includes LPG and Boats.

If you can't meet these requirements, get a pro in to do the job.

Just to confirm, i do not feel confident in gas pipework, i would not fit any, even more so as this is a family boat.

I will be paying for someone to fit the gas, i just want to understand what i need and purchase it all ready for said fitter.

i do appreciate everyone's advise and am not daft enough to ignore it.

Thanks

1-16217.jpg

Nowt, boat falls into the 24'8" - 27'10" at 25" so i have 2'10" to play with.

Curses, translated to my situation, I have only 8" to play with.

This bit causes an issue though,

· hoses must not be routed through an engine compartment.

The whole rear end is the engine compartment currently, although i could change this, but then it might just be easier to use copper.

I agree, just wanted to point out that there are alternatives