LED stick on strip lights - transformer?

Odana

Featured Posts

According to the table posted earlier by nickhix, for a 5m 5050 LED strip (12v 75w) we're looking in the range of 30w-65w load with increasing voltage and nicknorman's figures above seem to bear that out. My LED main cabin lights are 6 x 3w downlighters and the space is very well lit by them. If that (nominal) 18w does that, I can't see that these 5m 5050 strips, which are essentially mood lighting, are worth the tariff. Maybe 3528 strips may be better? Or the perhaps small individual recessed lights?

I like the idea so I'm not trying to raise a spoiler here, just wondering if it's worth exploring the more battery friendly options.

A couple of points, firstly of course the power consumption figures when the batteries are being charged is not much of an issue, the impact on fuel consumption will be negligible. When the batteries are not being charged and the voltage is 12.7 or less, there is a commensurate reduction in power consumption. By contrast all but the cheapest downlighter LEDs have switch mode regulation such that the power consumption doesn't vary with voltage. Of course, it is also possible to power LED tape via a SMPS and thus keep a fixed voltage.

Secondly, it is a different type of light. A down lighter gives a harsh and focussed light in your face, whereas an LED strip gives diffuse light and, with suitable positioning, is not in your face. It is a much, much nicer light.

So if you want a light just to shine on your book, then your down lighter is the best idea, but if you want the whole boat pleasantly illuminated then LED strips are best.

+1 to Nick's comments above...

I have to say that I didn't think that, after eyes had adjusted, that the brightness of the 5m strip at 12 volts and at 14+ volts was a lot different - however, as he also says, having a non-point source light is a real boon as, with single bulbs for general lighting, you always seem to be in your own shadow... The order of lumens out per watt in ascending order of LED type is 3528, 5050 and then 5630, with the latter at about 14 Watts per metre, depending on supply voltage...

Also, with a 5M strip costing between £6 and £8, they are somewhat less expensive than conventional fittings / bulbs, and when you can cut them down to units of 3 LEDs (as a minimum) a 5M ( 300 LED) strip can give you up to 100 light sources - at home I am in the throws of replacing some "picture lights", which have 60 watt incandescent bulbs, with two strips of tape and a 6W transformer barely larger than a sugar cube in the base, and may have to cut a 3 LED segment out of those as they are too bright !

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Secondly, it is a different type of light. A down lighter gives a harsh and focussed light in your face, whereas an LED strip gives diffuse light and, with suitable positioning, is not in your face. It is a much, much nicer light.

So if you want a light just to shine on your book, then your down lighter is the best idea, but if you want the whole boat pleasantly illuminated then LED strips are best.

Depends, some downlighters are wide angle and some fairly narrow. The strips seem to have come a long way in the last few years though.

There's also LED 'filament' bulbs around, though would need 240V from inverter or shoreline:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E14-E27-2W-4W-6W-Edison-Filament-COB-LED-Light-Lamp-Candle-Round-Bulb-Warm-White-/371189189713

f1.jpg

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

A couple of points, firstly of course the power consumption figures when the batteries are being charged is not much of an issue, the impact on fuel consumption will be negligible. When the batteries are not being charged and the voltage is 12.7 or less, there is a commensurate reduction in power consumption. By contrast all but the cheapest downlighter LEDs have switch mode regulation such that the power consumption doesn't vary with voltage. Of course, it is also possible to power LED tape via a SMPS and thus keep a fixed voltage.

Don't get me wrong Nick, I like the effect the strips gives and I don't sit around in the evenings with my main lights on. If I'm charging though, I'm usually also steering and even if I do need to run my engine alongside I don't do it in the evening. So such lights would only be on when on shore supply (when this sort of wattage doesn't matter) or when on batteries (when it does). I'm just asking if there isn't a lower power way of achieving a pleasantly illuminated boat. In particular I'm wondering whether 3528 LED strips might be a better starting point or whether there's another, lower power consumtion option.

For lowest consumption for the lumens you need, use the tape that employs 5630 LEDs - these give the most lumens for a given power drain... a three LED length, which is approx 5cms or 2" long, takes about 40 mA at 12.5 volts - cut to the length (brightness) you want

Nick

Has anyone come across led strips suitable for outside use? Such as lighting a cruiser stern?

Yes absolutely. We have outside LED strip illuminating our well deck. It is encapsulated in silicone-type clear plastic.

Here's an example: http://www.ledlightdepot.co.uk/9-led-waterproof-flex-strip-tape

The only thing I found was that the self-adhesive wasn't up to outdoor, I glued it on in the end, but now it has lasted 4 years and still going strong.

Edited by nicknorman

I originally tried 3528 strips, but didn't like the quality of light.

5050 RGBs give a much better colour mix and a much nicer white.

As someone said earlier, the self adhesive strip was a bit flaky, so I used additional glue to hold them up.

The remote controls give you the ability to change the colour or intensity at will.

I had no qualms over voltage, because I never envisioned them being on when the engine is running, but seeing the testing that Nickhlx has kindly shared, I feel confident to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Evenin folks.

Being a disorganised sort, I failed dismally to buy my strips off eBay before electrician stepson announced he could come tomorrow to fit these and a lot of other stuff. So today I bought 2 x 5m reels of 3528 60/m from my local discount electrical supplier, who are normally very cheap and good for all things. I nearly died at the £20+VAT price per reel. A quick google shows most of eBay on £6-8for this spec, but other places like bedazzled at £30. Is there any major difference between the cheap and the expensive ones, or is it just profit? If no significant difference I will just get stepson to set up all connection points from existing wiring circuits for us and then buy online and take these 2 reels back.

I have not bought regulators based on discussion above - and because I was disorganised. The lengths I intend to fit are:

-2x 4.5-5m strip, one under each gunwale in main cabin.

-several 1-1.5m strips inside wardrobes and across ceiling

-1.5m strip in cratch.

Might those long strips cause me a problem without a regulator?

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress Odana?

Anyway, I just wired in a new RGB LED controller with built in WiFi and an associated smartphone App to replace our mandraulic old one. So now I can use my iPhone to adjust the colour via a "colour wheel" app, which also does the usual cross fading effects and "sound to light" (provided you are not prone to epilepsy!). It's a must-have, and only around £30!

Any progress Odana?

Anyway, I just wired in a new RGB LED controller with built in WiFi and an associated smartphone App to replace our mandraulic old one. So now I can use my iPhone to adjust the colour via a "colour wheel" app, which also does the usual cross fading effects and "sound to light" (provided you are not prone to epilepsy!). It's a must-have, and only around £30!

... and people say that society isn't decadent? That lot probably needs more transistors than existed in the world when I was born.

MP.

Any progress Odana?

I do hope that one day you can meet tunneltug of this forum, he has a disco ball...... Powered (indirectly) by a steam engine.

... and people say that society isn't decadent? That lot probably needs more transistors than existed in the world when I was born....

Yea, that's exactly what the old boatmen said when they replaced the trusty horse with those new fangled steam engines, eg "How decadent, this boat has got more steam condensers than existed when I was born!"

... he has a disco ball...... Powered (indirectly) by a steam engine.

How decadent!

We have one 1m set wired in by the door working fine straight off 12v, though loads of the LEDs keep going off and need poking to come back on - that was a remainder strip from back of son in law's van. Ran out of time to wire in the long strips under gunwales - if I hadn't accidentally slept till past noon today it would have happened . Oops. Will report back on progress NEXT weekend.

Before Xmas bought some rolls of 5730 led tape from China and refurbished the Labcraft Trilight florescents in Earnest. We use the casing switch, so I Isolated the electronics by cutting the track in a couple of places and wired them in direct. With the tubes removed, there is a nice flat recessed section, just the width of the tape. After testing them at home on a battery being charged at 14.6v they still ran cool and did not blow up. To hit on the desired light colour I ran one cool white strip in the middle, surrounded by 2 warm white strips, this met with Mrs TNC's approval. The Labcraft diffusers cut down the glare to the degree you can stare at them. Finally all lights on both boats are now led (apart from some dial lamps and fridge lamps). I have now had a request by Graham at Riversdale, to do the hire fleet!