CRT Press Release - New Head of Customer Services at Canal & River Trust

Leo No2

Featured Posts

9 January 2015

NEW HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICES AT CANAL & RIVER TRUST

The Canal & River Trust has appointed Ian Rogers as its first permanent head of customer services. The new role supports the Trusts 10-year strategy to create stronger connections between the charity and the millions of people who use and enjoy its waterways each year, and is part of a renewed focus on improving the service the charity offers to customers.

Ian, who will be starting his role on 2 February, comes from Aon, the large insurance broker, where he has been managing director of the Aon Affinity division working with SME (small anyd medium-sized enterprises) customers. Prior to that, he worked in senior customer service roles at Dataforce, Thomas Cook and Eurostar.

Ians priority will be to lead the Trusts programme of customer service improvements, ensuring that all parts of the organisation put customers at the heart of what they do. He will assume direct responsibility for leisure boating, licencing and enforcement.

Richard Parry, chief executive of the Canal & River Trust, said: Im delighted to welcome Ian to the Trust. Our future success requires us to continue to change how we do things; to engage with all those who use or visit our waterways, or live alongside them, in a different way, and to make customer service and community involvement central to how we operate. Ians role will be vital in making these essential changes that will put our customers at the centre of our operation.

As part of Trusts ten-year strategy, the charitys 11 waterway units will have greater focus on delivering excellent day-to-day customer service to boaters and other visitors, and working with their local Waterways Partnerships to create stronger relationships with local communities and stakeholders.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, national press officer, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Ian, who will be starting his role on 2 February, comes from Aon, the large insurance broker, where he has been managing director of the Aon Affinity division working with SME (small and medium-sized enterprises) customers. Prior to that, he worked in senior customer service roles at Dataforce, Thomas Cook and Eurostar.

Hmmmmmm........................

Not a great deal about boating here is there?

Hmmmmmm........................

Not a great deal about boating here is there?

Maybe not, but it's a CV strong in customer relations, so I for one am prepared to wait and see, rather than condemn him out of hand.

Try reading the whole thing (I know it's a bit stilted) "He will assume direct responsibility for leisure boating, licensing and enforcement."

Are the 'customers' for whose services he will be responsible those who pay money to the Trust, and therefore expect service in return, or everybody who comes near the waterways?

Tim

"The taxpayer" in general, pays for about 40% of the waterways' funding, while boaters pay approx 30% - the other 30% being made up from other business interests and commercial relationships etc.

"The taxpayer" in general, pays for about 40% of the waterways' funding, while boaters pay approx 30% - the other 30% being made up from other business interests and commercial relationships etc.

Which is why 'customer relations' could cover a multitude of sins. I would expect it to include the second and third above, but questionable whether or not it would cover the first.

Tim

Hmmmmmm.......................................... give him a chance. I believe Mr Parry did not have "a great deal about boating" when he arrived at CRT. Irrespective of what any one may think about his management style he got out on the canals with many boaters including taking part in the BCN.

Please do not turn this observation into either a CRT or Richard Parry bashing exercise. Thank you.

well said Ray - worth a green thingy :)

I suspect the job will be what he makes of it, but as for his brief, the press release talks about all sorts of worthy things like 'community involvement' which might turn out to mean 'educate the scrotes not to chuck stuff in the cut' among many other things.

The Parry quote in paragraph 4 may be in PR-ese but it suggests what the new man will be trying to do.

Please do not turn this observation into either a CRT or Richard Parry bashing exercise. Thank you.

That wasn't my intention at all.

I never met Steve Hudson but reading what was written about him I was impressed by people saying that he could turn his hand to any of the jobs he employed others to do.

Call me old fashioned but I believe organisations should be run by people who have an understanding of what the organisation does and NOT by accountants, lawyers or management consultants.

Anyway, good luck to this new bloke and if he delivers for boaters then that's all well and good.

• Greenie 1

Very profound, doesn't answer the question.

Our CWM never does...

But yes my immediate thought was the same as yours. 'Customers' are those who pay the organisation money in return for products or services. I hope he doesn't get distracted looking after the walkers, anglers, cyclists and general hangers on instead of those who pay substantial sums to CRT on a regular basis.

MtB

Maybe not, but it's a CV strong in customer relations, so I for one am prepared to wait and see, rather than condemn him out of hand.

Try reading the whole thing (I know it's a bit stilted) "He will assume direct responsibility for leisure boating, licensing and enforcement."

great. he'll have an intimate knowledge then of the issues that affect people's lives and homes