Does anyone know what the Hawkesbury Cup was...?

Neil2

Featured Posts

I realise by posting this that I am likely to get more witty responses than useful ones, and it is a long shot but some members have very good memories so who knows.

Apparently our boat won this trophy in 1988 at the IWA National Festival at Castlefields on the Bridgewater.

But I can find no references anywhere, I have tried the IWA website and googled it with no success.

I suspect it may have been some sort of novelty award maybe just for that one festival. If no-one has any ideas I may have to write direct to the IWA but thought I'd try the collective wisdom of the forum first.

According to Waterways World November 1988 the Hawkesbury Cup was awarded to the "best junior cake maker", and on this occasion went to Emma Scully of DRAGONFLY.

I knew it, What a star.

If you have that copy of WW could you confirm that Dragonfly was also runner up in the Marion Munk Rose Bowl for best private boat?

If you have that copy of WW could you confirm that Dragonfly was also runner up in the Marion Munk Rose Bowl for best private boat?

Only the winners are listed - and the Marion Munk Memorial Rose Bowl went to the "best narrow beam pleasure boat", which was KATHERINE owned by Mr Westhead.

Only the winners are listed - and the Marion Munk Memorial Rose Bowl went to the "best narrow beam pleasure boat", which was KATHERINE owned by Mr Westhead.

Damn his eyes...

There's an IWA plaque on Dragonfly stating she was second in the Marion Munk rose bowl but I didn't know it was for best narrowboat overall - it looks like in later years they split the awards and the Marion Munk trophy became the prize for owner -fitted boats, I think.

Damn his eyes...

There's an IWA plaque on Dragonfly stating she was second in the Marion Munk rose bowl but I didn't know it was for best narrowboat overall - it looks like in later years they split the awards and the Marion Munk trophy became the prize for owner -fitted boats, I think.

The runners up will probably be listed in the IWA national magazine from the same date, have thrown all mine away but they may have them at the IWA head office.

Tim

The runners up will probably be listed in the IWA national magazine from the same date, have thrown all mine away but they may have them at the IWA head office.

Tim

Yes - I'll probably have to follow this up now, I also want to know what the "Hawkesbury" connection is.

Unless someone out there knows..?

Yes - I'll probably have to follow this up now, I also want to know what the "Hawkesbury" connection is.

Unless someone out there knows..?

Looking back through Waterways World magazines it appears that the Hawkesbury Cup was first awarded in 1987 at the I.W.A. National Rally at Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry (to Andrew Webb of HONEY BEE II).

I realise by posting this that I am likely to get more witty responses than useful ones, and it is a long shot but some members have very good memories so who knows.

Apparently our boat won this trophy in 1988 at the IWA National Festival at Castlefields on the Bridgewater.

But I can find no references anywhere, I have tried the IWA website and googled it with no success.

I suspect it may have been some sort of novelty award maybe just for that one festival. If no-one has any ideas I may have to write direct to the IWA but thought I'd try the collective wisdom of the forum first.

- not for going round the turn at Suttons in the best style?! - in one, at least!

Looking back through Waterways World magazines it appears that the Hawkesbury Cup was first awarded in 1987 at the I.W.A. National Rally at Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry (to Andrew Webb of HONEY BEE II).

Well done Pete, if we ever meet I owe you a pint. If/when I sell Dragonfly this will be a USP!

• 3 weeks later...

Tim

Have looked up the relevant IWA magazines but they do not list runners up, below is a copy of the list of winners from the Hawkesbury rally

174409-L.jpg

Note that one of the pictures is of Des Pinnock who has recently passed away after decades of voluntary service to the waterways.

This is the same page for the Castlefield Rally:

175415-XL.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Have looked up the relevant IWA magazines but they do not list runners up, below is a copy of the list of winners from the Hawkesbury rally

174409-L.jpg

Note that one of the pictures is of Des Pinnock who has recently passed away after decades of voluntary service to the waterways.

This is the same page for the Castlefield Rally:

175415-XL.jpg

Tim

Ah well, thanks for trying Tim.

Looking at all those awards and considering there were runners up in each category I should think it would have been difficult not to win something! Dragonfly did actually win the Calor trophy for "best galley" at a later rally which frankly is a complete mystery to me but then I am a bloke with no interest in cooking. Eating yes, cooking, no.

Ah well, thanks for trying Tim.

Looking at all those awards and considering there were runners up in each category I should think it would have been difficult not to win something! Dragonfly did actually win the Calor trophy for "best galley" at a later rally which frankly is a complete mystery to me but then I am a bloke with no interest in cooking. Eating yes, cooking, no.

Possibly but there used to be a lot of boats at the Nationals in those days, there were over 500 at Hawkesbury and best part of a thousand at Castlefield.

Tim

Possibly but there used to be a lot of boats at the Nationals in those days, there were over 500 at Hawkesbury and best part of a thousand at Castlefield.

Tim

Well that's good to hear. Still can't figure out how come our sink won a prize though.