Need a new folding mattress. Help required. Greenies available from Friday.

Loafer

Featured Posts

The Challenge:

Me boatman's cabin needs a new, bespoke, folding mattress for it's single berth (down the starboard side).

Background material:

When I open the bed 'ole, and lay the board down, I then have a secondary board (now visible) on top of the recently- lowered board. This second board folds outwards and rearwards, towards the coal box, and when deployed, renders the entire boatman's cabin area as a bed board.

Now here's where the mattress comes in. The long, bench-type, cushiony seat extending down the length of the starboard side now 'butterflies' inwards, onto the freshly-lowered bed board, all the way down to the coal box.

This now consist consistit constitutes me mattress. Two parts, down the cabin length, need to be unfolded, because of a large roof-supporting beam up the side of the cabin and across the cabin top, which requires a 2" square notch in the total mattress, which is where the 'split' is.

Problem:

It needs replacing.

Question:

Does anyone know of a canal-accessible boat uphostelry that might make me one, for some beer vouchers, bearing in mind it's an awkward shape? Foam, with memory foam topping, is ok.

PS: I repeat, canal-accessible. They'll HAVE to come and measure up.

PPS: I'll google of course, if no recs from you old-timers!

Edited by Loafer

Where are you Loafer?

CC-ing as best I can, for the while, up the Shroppie, between Brewood and Goldstone. But I can go anywhere reasonable and wait there, to have it made. Even anytime during this 'season'.

A good recommendation could see that forming part of this year's plan.

Well played TDH, well played sir. biggrin.png

Yes awight, it was reasonably funny. That's all I'm giving!

Edwardian bedding company will make you any shape or size of mattress, but they are in Yorkshire, no idea how accessible to the canal though. We had many a folding mattress off them. They may be able to travel, or could you email shape and measurements to them?

Edwardian bedding company will make you any shape or size of mattress, but they are in Yorkshire, no idea how accessible to the canal though. We had many a folding mattress off them. They may be able to travel, or could you email shape and measurements to them?

I could eventually, but I would HAVE to pay their travelling costs somehow. Email - I'm not sure how I'd measure the slightly-curved edge along the cabin wall. Thanks though. Need summat a bit nearer, really.

Edited by Loafer

Cardboard cut as a template. Send to company to get made. Draw on where any joins/folds need to be.

Yep, reasonable. Packaging the full-sized cardboard cutouts may well be beyond me, though.

It certainly would be at the moment!

Sue, MrsTawnyOwl, is making me a set of foam cushions (aka mattress) for the long side seat in my back cabin.

She came and measured up. Send her a PM...

MtB

I'll try that, ta.

MtB, I've searched the Members for MrsTawnyOwl, and other variants, without success. Can you be more specific, or quote me one of her past posts?

We've just had some seating measured and made by Elite Furnishings in Tamworth( 01827 942092). They are about half-a-mile from the Tame Otter on the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal.

He came to our boat at Penkridge to measure up and deliver. He did not charge to come and measure up and give us a quote, so might be worth ringing him to discuss your requirements. There were no specific delivery charges either, but he may of course have just included transport costs in the quote he gave us, which we thought was reasonable.

If you can get to Bollington on the Macclesfield there is an upholstery company in the big mill alongside the canal. (Clarence Mill)

We took our old boat there for new upholstery and moored alongside the mill.

We chose the fabric and foam type/mix and they came to the boat and measured up.

Good service and very helpfull. If I remember correctly it was called Kellico Interiors

Thank you all, for your replies. I have noted them for future use. The Tamworth guys seem favourite from a location point of view, but the Macc guy might be more into weird boatman's cabin mattresses.

I'll look em all up, Ta.