Another new marina for the South Oxford

Greg Klaes

Featured Posts

A few weeks ago in the Banbury Guardian in the planning applications section it was listed that a marina is to be built South of Banbury near a new housing development at Bodicote. Has anyone gone to Cherwell District Council to look at the plans? Is there a reference number?....g

Its certainly needed .

What happened to the proposed 2nd marina in Cropredy

Is it? Why?

That second "marina" was going to be nothing more than a few end-on moorings, probably smaller than Sovereign Wharf. I am not sure whether planning permission was refused, whether it was granted then rescinded, or whether the developer lost interest.

Would be nice if a wharf could be put in Banbury for visitor moorings if and when they do any development .

Now is the time that online CRT moorers should start lobbying for their moorings to remain and not lose 10% of new marina capacity.

I did fetch it up with Parry but of course no comment.

The 2nd marina in Cropredy was granted planning permission. Has not been developed or built. Permissions like this can not be lost unless local council pays compensation. But, work must begin...could be only a few shovels full of soil turned. Thanks for update...also, mooring in Cropredy with "residential development" land...to the North of the large house on the same site as the canoe club...is for sale....I have heard £275,000 from Richard who lives in the cottage on the lock...he keeps his boat on the mooring....g

The 2nd marina in Cropredy was granted planning permission. Has not been developed or built. Permissions like this can not be lost unless local council pays compensation. But, work must begin...could be only a few shovels full of soil turned. Thanks for update...also, mooring in Cropredy with "residential development" land...to the North of the large house on the same site as the canoe club...is for sale....I have heard £275,000 from Richard who lives in the cottage on the lock...he keeps his boat on the mooring....g

...and S'african Richard is pretty much on the, er, money. The estate agents priced it at £225,000 and a couple whom I spoke to near the site about a month ago told me that there had been offers over and above that price. That's before you start to build anything on it. Well after all, it's a rare chance to build a house which has a great view of a large industrial shed.

• 4 years later...

Resurrection of an old thread.

We are moored near lift bridge 170. Buidling works well advanced now as some already know. Part two, actually opposite where we are moored, is being prepared for the earth movers and land engineers to move in. Saplings are/have been planted at many various places. Talking to locals the proposed marina here may not appear as there are no takers. I think I can see where it might go, but other than that who knows. 

This thread is four years old. I have looked for more up to date threads to no avail.

Anyone know if the marina is to go ahead or not.

As a footnote. We have spent Christmas in and around Banbury. Banbury needs a fresh water supply near the Tom Rolt bridge. Or, on the off side near the footbridge. 

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

As a footnote. We have spent Christmas in and around Banbury. Banbury needs a fresh water supply near the Tom Rolt bridge. Or, on the off side near the footbridge. 

You should have said - I could have passed a hose across the canal to you!

11 minutes ago, billS said:

You should have said - I could have passed a hose across the canal to you!

I knew I knew Sea Vixen from somewhere. Happy New Year. We were on topped up bottle water for a couple of days. Didn't want to move as moorings were getting busy and we didn't want to loose our spot for whilst we were away. Surprising how much water you use. Mainly tea for the boss. I can manage with other concoctions.

'sea vixen' is that a bird or the name of a FAA aircraft? Just asking.

Edited by Nightwatch

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its a four year old thread. However moorings are very hard to come by on the South Oxford.

They are now as CRT have let nature pinch then. 

Just now, Halsey said:

Thanks for the heads up - I missed that I must still be hungover!

Don't be hungover. Have another top up.

How do you stop comments merging?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1