PC Radiator/Fan as a heating radiator

SiFi

Featured Posts

What do you expect it to do? Cool the engine or heat the boat?

Being only 5" square it isn't likely to do either with much effect. Re-inventing the wheel springs to mind.

MtB

P.S. Just noticed your thread title, you want it to heat the boat. I think it's heat output will be negligible, especially connected with 8mm microbore. I notice the seller makes no claims about power transfer, other than that it has "excellent cooling capabilities".

Is its real purpose for water cooling a PC processor?

MtB

Totally useless for heating a boat. They are designed to move 10 to 20W away from a microprocessor to cool it. If you can heat your boat adequately in the depth of winter by leaving all of your lights on then it would work. A typical radiator will put 500 to 1500W (or more) into a room.

Not nearly big enough I'm afraid. I have a fan assisted radiator running off the engine which is extremely effective. I will guess that the heater matrix is 600mm x 150mm. This really does do the business and luckily I found it in a skip. I have seen secondhand ones in local papers for little money.

Failing that a good old fashioned central heating rad, pick them up for buttons.

ps I used 22mm copper pipe from the engine to the rad.

Edited by Guest

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a car one from a scrapyard?

Richard

Or, just get more computing power. As my mate's son once said is all seriousness "Dad, it's getting cold in here, shall I turn on another computer?"

laugh.png

MtB

Love it!

When I used to work in a school, the heating effect of 20+computers in a small classroom was very noticeable!

Interesting, that would be the business in our bathroom.

It was the bathroom I was thinking of, it sounds as if nobody are using these smaller radiators (120x120mm).

I think I am going to have to try one to see how well it will take the pressure

Radfan sell these:

sticker-radfan-collection_1024x1024.jpg?

http://www.radfan.com/products/classic

http://www.radfan.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAwPCjBRDZp9LWno3p7rEBEiQAGj3KJk3FVgXzptSjohJwTGmTBmZLkmfCoamaY5BDBJOL3kcaApoq8P8HAQ

They are 12v run off a 240v transformer. I have no idea whether they are any good?

No connection the the company BTW.

Edited by Ray T

Has anybody used something like one of these neat radiators, they will take 8mm microbore fittings. I wanted to link them into the engine's cooling system and I'm concerned that these radiators may not take the pressure.

A (very) quick look through the power dissipation of current PC CPU chips suggests that the "Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition" is probably the highest at 140 Watts.

There are quite a few rated at 130W.

Personally I don't think that this radiator is designed to deal with the sort of energy level required for room heating.

A (very) quick look through the power dissipation of current PC CPU chips suggests that the "Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition" is probably the highest at 140 Watts.

There are quite a few rated at 130W.

Personally I don't think that this radiator is designed to deal with the sort of energy level required for room heating.

Looking at the photo, I'd guess the matrix is capable of dissipating about 500W. About right for heating a boat bathroom. The hard bit will be obtaining enough water from through those tiny water connections from just engine water pump pressure. I think a secondary electric pump will be required.

Seems an unnecessarily complicated way of heating a bathroom to me. Why not just use a steel radiator?

MtB