the first few weeks aboard?

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

having read another thread about a new liveaboard's unhappy experience with their first 3 weeks aboard it got me thinking, what advice would you give to a novice who's moving aboard to make the first few weeks as painless as possible?

a boating holiday a good start to make sure its what you want in the first place but that cant fully prepare someone setting up home on there own boat.

having read another thread about a new liveaboard's unhappy experience with their first 3 weeks aboard it got me thinking, what advice would you give to a novice who's moving aboard to make the first few weeks as painless as possible?

a boating holiday a good start to make sure its what you want in the first place but that cant fully prepare someone setting up home on there own boat.

I would suggest more than a holiday but in season and also this time of the year. Also find out how the whole thing works, winter stoppages, winter moorings, power requirements and of course TOILETS

Have you sold your house yet paul or are you still in limbo like me?

Have you sold your house yet paul or are you still in limbo like me?

i have a offer and im really ready to move so a few days of thinking is needed

I think it may be my thread you are referring to!

I actually had a few fibreglass cruisers over the years before getting a sail away which is now fully fitted. The difference between having weekends and holidays on a boat compared to downsizing from a house and becoming a live aboard in my opinion is like night and day.

No more central heating on timer or just chilling in front of crap TV just because you can or just messing on your laptop without a thought about electric.

Having to run an engine to generate power and to get a bit of warm water seems like a great idea until you are sitting in a boat doing just that thinking wtf am I doing this for!

Lots of people kindly telling me it will be ok when the better weather comes but Im thinking hmmm this is England!

All the books you read tell you how great it is but I think I may just write the first one giving a slightly different perspective lol!

Ohh and blacked out windows are the best fun ever!

It's not for everyone. I love the limitations brought on by boating. Power is not a problem unless you make it one. I had a Webasto thermo top fitted from my budget, warm boat and hot water, no problem. When on the cut I have a Honda eu20i if needed to generate more electricity, to be honest, we don't often need it. My constant fear over battery drainage is alleviated somewhat by having a victron gauge. Condensation, just missed out on the de-humidifiers in Lidl so will source one from elsewhere if I get bugged enough to need one.

I am not liveaboard yet but having a boat and using it in the depths of winter wakes you up to cold boat syndrome, next task is a gsm remote webasto switch on unit.

Just love it!

Edited by Geordie.narrowboat

Write a blog, document feelings from day 1, after 6 months note the change in tone if its for you, you will start to see the positives.

I have boat but very frustrated as cannot get to her ATM since purchased a Horror house which turned out to be complete rip out renovation job for which i'm writing a blog, I write the ups and the downs of living in a bare shell of a house without heating(sort of sorted that now) no shower/bath...have toilet and sink. The bannisters dripped with damp yet Artex stuck like s... to some of the walls. Like an onion I unpeeled layer after layer and yes became incredibly despondent, tearful and thought made biggest mistake of my life. The people I brought it from misrepresented facts and i have Japanese Hogweed growing over field next door and found some in garden so selling will not be an option since its a panic no no at the moment for buyers.Still think it was a mistake as I so want to be on my boat and not many chose to live in the circumstances I have for the last 6 months..at one stage no kitchen, and I mean nothing in there but walls since I chiselled up all flooring and no lighting.

But to get to any light at tunnels end you first have to enter and travel through, to continually see the negative will not allow positive to enter. My house will get there and then probably will rent out and have my time for me on my boat. Family think I need a project, they are wrong but I will see it through because I am no quitter.

Every so often I escape to boat to recharge batteries.

Writing about my experiences has allowed me time to consider impact of choice and to see the positives filter through. This is my 3rd blog and at days end achievements/downers and thoughts all go in.

Write a blog, document feelings from day 1, after 6 months note the change in tone if its for you, you will start to see the positives.

I have boat but very frustrated as cannot get to her ATM since purchased a Horror house which turned out to be complete rip out renovation job for which i'm writing a blog, I write the ups and the downs of living in a bare shell of a house without heating(sort of sorted that now) no shower/bath...have toilet and sink. The bannisters dripped with damp yet Artex stuck like s... to some of the walls. Like an onion I unpeeled layer after layer and yes became incredibly despondent, tearful and thought made biggest mistake of my life. The people I brought it from misrepresented facts and i have Japanese Hogweed growing over field next door and found some in garden so selling will not be an option since its a panic no no at the moment for buyers.Still think it was a mistake as I so want to be on my boat and not many chose to live in the circumstances I have for the last 6 months..at one stage no kitchen, and I mean nothing in there but walls since I chiselled up all flooring and no lighting.

But to get to any light at tunnels end you first have to enter and travel through, to continually see the negative will not allow positive to enter. My house will get there and then probably will rent out and have my time for me on my boat. Family think I need a project, they are wrong but I will see it through because I am no quitter.

Every so often I escape to boat to recharge batteries.

Writing about my experiences has allowed me time to consider impact of choice and to see the positives filter through. This is my 3rd blog and at days end achievements/downers and thoughts all go in.

Did you not have a full pre- purchase survey?

You'd probably find it easier starting out when the days are getting longer, the weather is becoming kinder and the Winter stoppages are over. I'd set a target date of 3-4 months time, this will also give you time to look at plenty of boats rather than just jumping at the first one that would do.

I guess making sure you like boating is probably the first thing and then taking the time to choose the right boat is really important as well. We'd had a boat (cruiser) for a few years and then spent 18 months looking for a live-aboard to replace it. Getting the right boat made all the difference when we had it delivered (March 13) especially as it was below freezing day and night for our first two weeks!

As for any recommendations for the first few weeks here's a couple of suggestions; make sure you know the technical workings of the boat. As we're still working we took a couple of weeks off to be on the boat full time to get used it from the start which worked well. Finally due to flooding we were forced to stay in one place for the first couple of weeks so we spent all the time getting used to living aboard which again worked out really well.

Living aboard isn't quite as easy as living in a house but we knew that before we started and really enjoy the challenge and a little planning ensures the water etc doesn't run out when its pouring with rain or when we're getting ready to go to work! The privilege of living amongst the wildlife on the waterway and experiencing the seasons on the river is something we wouldn't miss for the world and now couldn't imagine not living aboard.

I've been living aboard for just over 2 months now and I'm loving every minute.

I wouldn't say it's all been plain sailing (forgive the pun) and I've had my share of problems: the biggest being that when I collected the boat, the Sani-Marin toilet wasn't working. It had been fine when I went to view and when the survey was done, but it was completely knackered when I went on board. Not cheap to sort, so having a fair bit of spare cash is essential.

The big thing is to have a positive attitude. You KNOW things will go wrong, but everything is fixable.

Learn about your boat; it's all trial and error. It took me a month to figure out how to work the stove properly and at first I had to re-light it twice a day, but it's stayed lit (and the boat toasty) for a full week now.

I love the simplicity of the lifestyle. It takes a lot of work but that's part of the attraction and every morning when I step out of the boat I'm brought to a complete standstill by the beauty and tranquillity of my surroundings.

I hope I never have to leave the waterways.

Cheers,

T.