London muddy ditch, available moorings soon...

matty40s

Featured Posts

I've often wondered why some of the old Docks are not converted to marinas.

Similarly, they could build big marinas in flood plains in the Surrey, Kent, Berks etc area, and sort out a lot of the housing issues... ??

hic....

We stayed in a marina on the Tyne for a few days this summer which was a converted dock, Royal Quays. Worked really well as a marina.

81EF1D1D-DB9E-4D61-B6E5-337DD591C193.jpg

E563F55D-26E1-486D-BA26-8E9620992F61.jpg

DSCF4776.jpg

Nice spot for watching the cruise ships entering the river as it was right next to the terminal. The river Tyne suddenly feels very small when you are sharing it with these monsters!

DSCF4777.jpg

Similarly, they could build big marinas in flood plains in the Surrey, Kent, Berks etc area, and sort out a lot of the housing issues... ??

hic....

Yuppee flats built near them when derelict "Oh dear no! not hoi polloi lets just have nice shiny yachts with sails and things""

The other ting is that you have to lock in and out.....have you any idea how much they charge for that!!!!!

Yuppee flats built near them when derelict "Oh dear no! not hoi polloi lets just have nice shiny yachts with sails and things""

The other ting is that you have to lock in and out.....have you any idea how much they charge for that!!!!!

That won't worry most London boaters - they never move

Do they charge leisure boaters to lock in or out?

When I was looking a couple of years ago ....yes

I can't remember how much but I know it provoked a rapid in breath!!!

The Tyneside one you went to is more akin to a coastal harbour than the docks in London

Tilbury I believe is £200 but as far as I know they don't let private craft use it which is a shame

Edited by John V

open up some of the London rivers too

The Olympic site is still hanging on to the Bow Back Rivers - they are open 'ditches'

Similarly, they could build big marinas in flood plains in the Surrey, Kent, Berks etc area, and sort out a lot of the housing issues... ??n

hic....

Limehouse - aka Regents Canal Dock is now a G&T type yacht marina & St Katherine's has been a marina for years. Moored our narrowboat in West India before and after the Diamond Jubilee Pageant - that would make a good yuppie marina too

When I was looking a couple of years ago ....yes

I can't remember how much but I know it provoked a rapid in breath!!!

The Tyneside one you went to is more akin to a coastal harbour than the docks in London

Tilbury I believe is £200 but as far as I know they don't let private craft use it which is a shame

We have not been charged to cross the docks and use the locks at either Grimsby or Goole, (although there is a charge to use them both out of the 2 hours either side of high water window.)

Stayed in Portishead last Saturday, first time I've seen the harbour (Port Marine) and surrounding development.

Quite strange, it's modelled on Polperro apparently.

https://www.crestnicholson.com/portmarine/

That's a port I haven't been to for many many years. Was there when the Torrey Canyon went aground 1967.......the original plan was to get small tankers to lighten her and we were put on standby for that job.

That's a port I haven't been to fofrom the beachany many years. Was there when the Torrey Canyon went aground 1967.......the original plan was to get small tankers to lighten her and we were put on standby for that job.

Torrey Canyon! Had a casual job in Cornwall in 1968 picking up lumps of oil from the beach. 5 Bob an hour and no supervisionclapping.gif