USA rated appliances

Texasboater

Featured Posts

See, I knew this would happen........You are all speaking Mandarin or some other dialect completely out of my understanding.

plain language Yes you can for most equipment

some types of equipment with motors might run at the wrong speed (different frequency.......50hz or 60hz)

using a transformer is slightly inefficient so will waste power but will run off existing 230v supplies

Bring only well known battery cord-less tools, De-Walt/Makita/Bosch, etc.

Buy correct charger, over here. No more converters, probably cheaper!

Bod

Its his Kitchen-Maid mixers and the 'bad-ass' coffeemaker he wants to bring.

To be honest - I'd suggest, bring the Hogs, & scrap the electrical stuff. You'll struggle to get it to work (safely) on a boat

Its his Kitchen-Maid mixers and the 'bad-ass' coffeemaker he wants to bring.

To be honest - I'd suggest, bring the Hogs, & scrap the electrical stuff. You'll struggle to get it to work (safely) on a boat

What does a "Kitchen-Maid" do that a wooden spoon and bowl can't?

Coffeemaker.........percolator, kept on the stove. (works in the cowboy movies)

Bod

As I understand it the American system of distribution is similar. they use a 2 phase 117v system. Normal domestic supplies use half (117v) but heavier consumption equipment requiring higher voltages use 2 phases (220)

as I understand it 3 phase is not normally run into domestic buildings in USA

eta the guy who was explaining this to me was a builder in the states but not an electrician so he may have had it wrong

In simple terms, this is correct. However, minimum voltage is usually 120V and most everything I've seen for the last 25 years (in California and Washington state) was 125V. Way back when voltage started out at 110V, but has gradually increased. Most electrical stuff here isn't real picky about the exact voltage it uses because voltage can vary on a regional/local level.

Although "220 volts" is common parlance, that's all it is. Actual voltage will be double the single line (phase) voltage.

Single line (phase) circuits have a hot/live, neutral and ground/earth. The neutral coming from the power company is in fact a ground/earth, but it is run through powco wires into the panel (consumer unit). The neutral and ground/earth are bonded in the panel (consumer unit). The ground/earth is connected to a cold water pipe and one or two 6' ground/earth rods driven vertical into the ground. 240V is achieved by using two 120Vs, tapped from opposite sides of the wave, no neutral wire and a ground/earth for safety only (not part of the circuit).

Note to Texasboater - You can accomplish what you want just by using a 12V - 120V/60hz inverter, although it will need to be good quality one to handle starting motors and running heating elements. The inverter can be hooked up to your domestic battery bank and shouldn't interfere with the 230V stuff. It will just be two separate systems using the same power source. You should also take along a small fuse box and however many receptacles, boxes and faceplates you think you will need. If you wire it up according to USA standards, you shouldn't have any trouble with the BSS, because wiring safety standards are pretty universal, but you will need all of the proper connections, conduit, receptacles, fuses etc to make it comply and you probably won't find the parts you need anywhere in Europe.

Since you will be retrofitting the installation, get yourself some Wiremold parts and then you can surface mount everything and still comply. Any good sparky can make a material list for you if you provide some basic specs - length of run, number of sockets needed, etc. I'd take along a couple extra receptacles and breaker, it never hurts to have a few spares.

Note to Texasboater - You can accomplish what you want just by using a 12V - 120V/60hz inverter, although it will need to be good quality one to handle starting motors and running heating elements. The inverter can be hooked up to your domestic battery bank and shouldn't interfere with the 230V stuff. It will just be two separate systems using the same power source. You should also take along a small fuse box and however many receptacles, boxes and faceplates you think you will need. If you wire it up according to USA standards, you shouldn't have any trouble with the BSS, because wiring safety standards are pretty universal, but you will need all of the proper connections, conduit, receptacles, fuses etc to make it comply and you probably won't find the parts you need anywhere in Europe.

Since you will be retrofitting the installation, get yourself some Wiremold parts and then you can surface mount everything and still comply. Any good sparky can make a material list for you if you provide some basic specs - length of run, number of sockets needed, etc. I'd take along a couple extra receptacles and breaker, it never hurts to have a few spares.

Brilliant, my brother in law is a licensed electrician. Thanks for all the replies.

Quicky about bikes. Used to be that if you have owned them as use for over a year then import duty was waived. If new purchase then duty levied. May have changed but all I needed was proof of ownership that was in excess of a year.

plain language Yes you can for most equipment

some types of equipment with motors might run at the wrong speed (different frequency.......50hz or 60hz)

using a transformer is slightly inefficient so will waste power but will run off existing 230v supplies

Which is why I said buy an American spec inverter. The BSS wont be bothered about it as its not a mains supply as in shore power. But make sure you boat 12 volt system has the capacity to support the items you plan to bring over. Its going to cost you a few hundred quid to support these American bits and bobs so it may still be cheaper to give them away and buy UK stuff which you can use with any UK system, When your American bits die you will be left with a 110volt system which you have paid for which will be no use to you.

Which is why I said buy an American spec inverter. The BSS wont be bothered about it as its not a mains supply as in shore power. But make sure you boat 12 volt system has the capacity to support the items you plan to bring over. Its going to cost you a few hundred quid to support these American bits and bobs so it may still be cheaper to give them away and buy UK stuff which you can use with any UK system, When your American bits die you will be left with a 110volt system which you have paid for which will be no use to you.

Good point.

Quicky about bikes. Used to be that if you have owned them as use for over a year then import duty was waived. If new purchase then duty levied. May have changed but all I needed was proof of ownership that was in excess of a year.

I like the sound of that.I'm bringing back an 06 1200Custom Sportster & an 08 Heritage Softail.

You could save a mountain of cash and buy a decent European bike that goes round corners!

Bit like buying a narrowboat.OK in a straight line and comfy. I could sell them both in the UK and almost pay for the boat!!

I love the HD bashing is global. clapping.gif