Good boat builders?

Jen_P

Featured Posts

Well, since my last thread, my focus has really changed when looking for a boat and I'm paying less attention to interiors and more to builders and engines.

On that note, what do you guys think about these builders:

Titan

John White

Mike Heywood

Streamline

Roger Fuller.

Roger Fuller is one of the top end trad style builders and his output is acknowledged to be of a high standard. If you are looking for that sort of steelwork you may also consider Dave Harris at Stourbridge, Steve Priest or Simon Wain at Brinklow, Graham Edgson at Norton Canes. I know all of these personally and have no hesitation in recommending all/any. Good luck!

Dave

Probably, Jennifer. I don't know what your budget is, but none of the builders I mentioned would come cheap, but they are the top end of the market. Colecraft are good quality mid range builders. If I can help at all, I'm happy to speak, PM me for a phone number, if you can cope with a grumpy old traditionalist!

Would that be why an older Roger Fuller boat is more expensive? Colecraft seem to be more expensive too!

I haven't heard of the others you mentioned - I'm just looking at ads within my price range on Apollo duck!

Yeah, Roger Fuller boats fetch more money second hand, so do Norton Canes and other top end builders. Colecraft are a mass produced builder but they're good (I would say that because I live on a boat that's mostly Colecraft).

What you're probably best doing is spending some time looking at boats from better builders and learning what makes a good boat, good so you can spot it for yourself.

Isn't most of the good stuff under water though? Thought it was all about the hull!

The hull is important for sure but you can see what shape it has while it's afloat, how it's been finished, what shape the swim has from inside. You can see the cabin and the shape that has. Apart from some pretty basic stuff like the boat being built off a centre line and welded properly most of the money comes from a getting the look right. The thing is no builder that gets the look right is going to have got the basics wrong.

Jennifer

You have probably worked out that not all shell builders, fit out boats.

So you could could get top of the range shell with a cheap and nasty self fitout.

and the opposite a cheap and nasty shell with an immaculate fitout (unlikely but possible)

You mention Mike Heywood:

Some history (pinched from the site of Tyler Wilson), ps I am biased as I have a Tyler Wilson shell wink.png

Jonathan Wilson began his boat building adventure nearly 30 years ago, serving as an apprentice to his uncle - the late Mike Heywood.

Even at an early age Jonathan showed real talent for developing the line and styling of the boats he worked on, and it was not long before he set up his own boat building business so that he might have the freedom to express that talent more fully.

In 1985 he took on Tim Tyler as a young apprentice and it quickly became apparent that Tim shared his passion for line and detail.

In the 25 years since, this partnership has been steadily growing, training a select number of like minded craftsmen who take enormous pride in putting their signature on beautiful craft that capture the graceful line and artistic detail of a bygone era.

yes, I have realised that about the fit outside!

Honestly, you should see some of the ones I've viewed!! Feel more more capable of judging the fit out quality than the hull - best mate is an engineer and rather brilliant amateur joined so I've learnt watching him!

I have a Mike Heywood boat and a Jonathan Wilson boat on my shortlist so I'm guessing I'd be fine with either of those!

What about titan? Two titans on the shortlist!

Honestly, you should see some of the ones I've viewed!! Feel more more capable of judging the fit out quality than the hull - best mate is an engineer and rather brilliant amateur joined so I've learnt watching him!

I have a Mike Heywood boat and a Jonathan Wilson boat on my shortlist so I'm guessing I'd be fine with either of those!

Yes but, as usual, the get out clause, it will depend on how they have been looked after, regular blacking etc.

You do start off with a shell that was well built but...

You can always change interior, at a cost, but the shell is little bit more difficult and even more costly. wink.png

The only shells of the modern era that have rooted me to the spot when looking at them are

Norton Canes

Simon Wain

Roger Fuller

Dave Harris

Roger Farrington

I like Paul Barber, Rw Davies too.

I've a soft spot for Colecraft and Stoke on Trent ...good mid range honest shells.

PRolly can't go too wrong with a Tyler Wilson either.

Edited by mark99

If you look at the recommended shell builders you will notice that they tend to have someone's name in their company name and they build a small number of boats each year, usually to order.

There are of course exceptions there always is.

XR&D good lads to talk/work with they built PLODDINON for me

imagejpg2_zpseafff8c2.jpg

imagejpg1_zps34ff0468.jpg

Edited to add fitted out and painted by graham ford ( cherilton narrow boats )

Beautiful boat! I'm jealous. Love the colours (sorry, girly comment!)

I did mean Triton!

And what do you think of the builder John White?

I am biased I have a Tyler/Wilson and know both of them fairly well 1 year in their yard does that sick.gif. They build great boats look at crick and the winners over the last few years and you will see a trend. Lots of boats out there are built by good and respected builders but what is just as important is the owners over the years have they spent the time, effort and money on the upkeep because it is hard work to turn a sows ear into a silk purse

Peter