Poor man scavenging for wood

bigcol

Featured Posts

. Ah I see we are getting into knit picking so I will try and make things a bit clearer, I am a plasterer by trade and this is my everyday occupation I drive a tipper truck to and from work so if I see a skip full of wood on route I stop on my way to or from work and load the wood on my truck if I find a tree that's blown over near the road I cut it into manageable lumps, load it on the truck and take it home I also do this with any metal I find and weigh it in at the scrap yard on a Saturday morning, I also get asked to take the odd load of earth or stone to the recycling plant for which I charge,so as a consequence of this I earn around 3 grand a year extra and have all the wood I need so not only is warming my house free but I also make money as well of course this is only possible if you are willing to drive a truck,are willing to get off your ass and don't mind others looking down there nose at you while you rummage through there bin, hope that clears up any confusion

So you cut the wood by hand and don't use a chain saw?

So, As I thought, burning wood is not any more environmentally friendly than burning anything else, except plastic perhaps.

The best reason for doing it in my opinion is because it is cheap.

And who said that?

. Ah I see we are getting into knit picking so I will try and make things a bit clearer, I am a plasterer by trade and this is my everyday occupation I drive a tipper truck to and from work so if I see a skip full of wood on route I stop on my way to or from work and load the wood on my truck if I find a tree that's blown over near the road I cut it into manageable lumps, load it on the truck and take it home I also do this with any metal I find and weigh it in at the scrap yard on a Saturday morning, I also get asked to take the odd load of earth or stone to the recycling plant for which I charge,so as a consequence of this I earn around 3 grand a year extra and have all the wood I need so not only is warming my house free but I also make money as well of course this is only possible if you are willing to drive a truck,are willing to get off your ass and don't mind others looking down there nose at you while you rummage through there bin, hope that clears up any confusion

Might be worth pointing out, all timber belongs to someone, it's not always just yours to take

So you cut the wood by hand and don't use a chain saw?

still trying then, we can deduct the cost of the chainsaw and the two stroke fuel from the three grand the truck earns ,you see it all hinges on the truck it brings money as well as warmth and as I'm on my way to or from work I was going there anyway, it's not about trying to nitpick or score points just people asking a question and others trying to answer as best they can which is what I've done.if you have decided it's not for you to lower yourself to collect wood that's fine, but please try not to turn this into another pointless little game of oneupmanship

And who said that?

Might be worth pointing out, all timber belongs to someone, it's not always just yours to take

. Fully aware of the rules and pitfalls of scavenging I have all the licences etc I need to go about my business and if that fails I have a Fluoro vest that covers all other eventualitys cheers

still trying then, we can deduct the cost of the chainsaw and the two stroke fuel from the three grand the truck earns ,you see it all hinges on the truck it brings money as well as warmth and as I'm on my way to or from work I was going there anyway, it's not about trying to nitpick or score points just people asking a question and others trying to answer as best they can which is what I've done.if you have decided it's not for you to lower yourself to collect wood that's fine, but please try not to turn this into another pointless little game of oneupmanship

Oh I was perfectly happy to collect wood, just not blind enough to believe that it was free.

Oh I was perfectly happy to collect wood, just not blind enough to believe that it was free.

. A truck full of logs delivered to my house is 220 hard earned pounds were as a new chainsaw is 270 so two truck loads pays for the chainsaw and there after its payed for which equals free use, some of the wood I burn I have been payed to remove it from someone's house again that equals free wood, the rest I pick up on my travels which may mean leaving early or getting home a bit later but does not effect my working day so has cost me nothing which again equals free wood not really that hard to grasp

. A truck full of logs delivered to my house is 220 hard earned pounds were as a new chainsaw is 270 so two truck loads pays for the chainsaw and there after its payed for which equals free use, some of the wood I burn I have been payed to remove it from someone's house again that equals free wood, the rest I pick up on my travels which may mean leaving early or getting home a bit later but does not effect my working day so has cost me nothing which again equals free wood not really that hard to grasp

Wood you are actually paid to remove is about the nearest you will come to free wood.

I used to do the same when I was a window fitter. All the old wooden windows and anything from skips on site or just about anywhere if I was passing. When I lived in Bristol I heated my flat 100% like this. I'd say it was free. More than that I'd say it was helpful. If I took frames back to the yard, they ended up in a skip which had to be emptied sooner. Same for wood from skips - I'd be delighted if somebody came and emptied my skip making more room for my rubbish! And tidying up scrap metal should be applauded.

I used to do the same when I was a window fitter. All the old wooden windows and anything from skips on site or just about anywhere if I was passing. When I lived in Bristol I heated my flat 100% like this. I'd say it was free. More than that I'd say it was helpful. If I took frames back to the yard, they ended up in a skip which had to be emptied sooner. Same for wood from skips - I'd be delighted if somebody came and emptied my skip making more room for my rubbish! And tidying up scrap metal should be applauded.

. This made me chuckle today after going through this thread being told there is no such thing as free fuel, someone had put a sign outside there house on the Gloucester Road saying free fire wood help yourself, I was going to knock the door and tell them they were lying, but instead I just loaded my truck up with some really cheap logs about a months worth of solid burning, know money changed hands so it felt quite free to me but obviously not ????????

. This made me chuckle today after going through this thread being told there is no such thing as free fuel, someone had put a sign outside there house on the Gloucester Road saying free fire wood help yourself, I was going to knock the door and tell them they were lying, but instead I just loaded my truck up with some really cheap logs about a months worth of solid burning, know money changed hands so it felt quite free to me but obviously not ????????

You loaded up your truck . . .

. Yawn, I was driving past anyway so don't really see were I incurred an additional cost for the wood but hey what do I know

What's additional cost got to do with anything? Your truck still costs you money to run.

BTW I was quite happy to let this drop until your snide comments stirred me back into action.

What's additional cost got to do with anything? Your truck still costs you money to run.

BTW I was quite happy to let this drop until your snide comments stirred me back into action.

nothing snide about it just found it funny after yesterday,and with regard to the truck I explianed this many posts ago I earn around an additional three grand per year from the items I pick up on the truck, on my travels and as all repairs and running cost are weighed against my tax I am getting not only free fuel but a free truck as well, it might take you a while to get your head round but it really is doable,

nothing snide about it just found it funny after yesterday,and with regard to the truck I explianed this many posts ago I earn around an additional three grand per year from the items I pick up on the truck, on my travels and as all repairs and running cost are weighed against my tax I am getting not only free fuel but a free truck as well, it might take you a while to get your head round but it really is doable,

I think that is pretty snide but then you know best.

"Might be worth pointing out, all timber belongs to someone, it's not always just yours to take"

- and how did THEY get it in the first place? Oh... that's right... by stealing it from the rest of us!

Or their ancestors got it by murdering others / doing favours (brown-nosing) for the King/Queen.

Who says the air you breathe is yours to take?

Or the fossil fuels you burn are yours to pollute the atmosphere, encourage Global Warming = causing the Shropshire Union Canal to overflow at a couple of locks.

By the way, I thought 'Trespass' only came into being when you refuse to leave Private Property when requested- before the asking, it's not Trespass.

So I say: Five, Six, Pick up Sticks ;)

Emerald Fox, on 14 Oct 2014 - 7:33 PM, said:

"Might be worth pointing out, all timber belongs to someone, it's not always just yours to take"

- and how did THEY get it in the first place? Oh... that's right... by stealing it from the rest of us!

Or their ancestors got it by murdering others / doing favours (brown-nosing) for the King/Queen.

Who says the air you breathe is yours to take?

Or the fossil fuels you burn are yours to pollute the atmosphere, encourage Global Warming = causing the Shropshire Union Canal to overflow at a couple of locks.

By the way, I thought 'Trespass' only came into being when you refuse to leave Private Property when requested- before the asking, it's not Trespass.

So I say: Five, Six, Pick up Sticks wink.png

ok i tell you what i will just walk into Tesco and take my shopping without paying next time, i will tell the judge Mr Fox said i could