The mysterious case of the tripping teasmade...

Featured Posts

I have just purchased a stupendous 1960's Goblin D25 Teas-made, but at the very point the buzzer goes off to signal the tea is made, it trips the power in the entire house. This unharmonious start to the day is not documented in the user manual.

The plug is fitted with a 5 amp fuse.

Thanks for any help.

The buzzer coincides with a big rocker switch under the kettle turning off and it is probably the spike as that switch disconnects that is causing your breaker to trip.

I've got 3 D25s and one of them makes the bedroom light dim momentarily when the kettle switches off.

I recently sold this D26B which I wish I'd hung on to now:

DSCF4614.jpg

OK, thanks. I cannot believe the picture of this D26B. Looks like they were short of update ideas and just stuck a random shade on it! That made me laugh.

I am just wondering if I have the correct fuse...

Then again it is plugged in a trailing socket with other plugs, so that probably doesn't help matters.

When you say trips does it trip a mcb, rcb or rcbo. If its one of the latter two the buzzer may have a short to earth on it. If its the former then the buzzer may have some kind of internal short.

Fuses tend to be comparatively slow acting components so a breaker may react far faster.

When you say trips does it trip a mcb, rcb or rcbo. If its one of the latter two the buzzer may have a short to earth on it. If its the former then the buzzer may have some kind of internal short.

Fuses tend to be comparatively slow acting components so a breaker may react far faster.

I find the same. I have cut through the lawn mower cable twice now and never blown the fuse in the plug.

The trip at the ''fuse' box has always got there first.

Edited by The Dog House

MCB is a breaker that trips on power overload eg as a result of a short circuit between live and neutral. An RCD is a breaker that trips when there is a leakage to earth. It can look similar to an MCB except that it has a little test button. An RCBO is a combination of the above. Or of course you might have an old-fashioned fuse box with wire fuses?

But then again if it trips the entire house it is probably an RCD so the fault is an earth leakage one.

Edited by nicknorman

The buzzer coincides with a big rocker switch under the kettle turning off and it is probably the spike as that switch disconnects that is causing your breaker to trip.

I've got 3 D25s and one of them makes the bedroom light dim momentarily when the kettle switches off.

I recently sold this D26B which I wish I'd hung on to now:

DSCF4614.jpg

My local charedee shop is full of 'Boo Peep' tat like that.

OK, thanks. I cannot believe the picture of this D26B. Looks like they were short of update ideas and just stuck a random shade on it! That made me laugh.

I am just wondering if I have the correct fuse...

Then again it is plugged in a trailing socket with other plugs, so that probably doesn't help matters.

Don't be con-fused between a tripping Teasmaid and a maid tripping on laced tea. mellow.png

Bloke goes to stay in an hotel. He's woken in the morning by the maid coming into the room, whipping back the bed covers and [censored} The bloke say's "blimey I didn't expect that!" The maid tells him that he should have done as it's mentioned in all the hotel bumpf, look there "Goblin Teas Maid in every room".

I'll get me coat.