tv without an aerial

Dovetail

Featured Posts

But can you market this because I will have one

Yes, unplug your aerial, that will be £10 pleaselaugh.png

What Dovetail hasn't told you is he's moored at Droitwich and you can pick a TV signal up there on a vacuum cleaner or a metal plate in your head, damn you voice in my head.

K

Can you see this this out of the window

The Crystal Palace transmitting station is a broadcasting and telecommunications site in the London boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham, England (grid reference TQ339712).[2]

Its tower is the fifth-tallest structure in London. It is best known as the main television transmitter for the London area, and is owned and operated by Arqiva.

When we were moored at Adlington on the L&L our aerial fell off the roof and was pointing to the canal for a while and we still got a perfect picture. But there's a dirty great transmitter on a big hill just above :)

No idea whether that would still work without an aerial plugged in though - that does seem a bit bizarre!

It is possible to see the crystal palace transmitting aerial from many places in London but it many miles from me right now. I am currently moored at the top of the Hanwell flight unable to move because of the terrible events today.

Same thing happened to me when moored in Gas Street Basin. Summink to do with the Beeb or ITV or whichever it is that has its studios there maybe. Anyway, it was most odd. At the time I guessed maybe somehow my whole boat was working like an aerial but I still don't know how the picture got into the tele.

There was nothing on anyway.

How does this work? I moved my boat today and removed my tv aerial and forgot to refit it but I seem to have a perfect signal??

Not sure to what degree you removed your aerial but I've found that often we get a perfect picture even though the aerial has been taken down and is laying flat on the roof (but the lead is still plugged in) also Chris has told me she has watched TV while on the move and it has been fine. These observations have only applied since TV signal has changed to all digital (I believe the signal power was boosted after the turn off)

Phil

Not still plugged in Phil the aerial is stored away in the front deck and I only have a bit of coax sitting on the roof of the boat. The only thing I can think of is perhaps Ealing hospital has some kind of transmitter on their roof and it's a sad thought but given the murder and discovery of Alice Gross body there is probably a few mobile live transmission vans in the area.

Edited by Dovetail

This not a new phenomenon we had it many many years ago in a house.

The Crystal Palace transmitter could be seen on the horizon and perfect picture/sound on TV, no aerial or coax connected.

The only problem was if someone in the street walked between the TV and the transmitter signal would stop.

Solution aerial in the loft but then problem was signal was to strong so an attenuator had to be fitted.

Edited by bottle

The coax is acting as an aerial - very inefficient compared to your usual one, but it does. My mooring is 15km from the Emley Moor transmitter and I can get reception without anything except the coax laid on the cratch top. Crystal Palace is 1/3 more powerful than Emley Moor and you're about 20km away - so if you have got a direct line-of-sight then it's definitely possible....

That will be it then I am moored on what can be described high bit of land for London and to the south of me are a few trees but basically open ground. There must be thousands if not millions of people can get away with an aerial in London if they only knew it.

Cheers.