(Yet) Another Trent Question

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

Good Afternoon Everyone.

We're booked to go onto the Trent at 06:00 the day after tomorrow, Thursday.

It's an early start, so............................

Do we stop off at Torksey, as planned, or make it all the way to Cromwell in one go?

Your opinions please.

We have lifejackets and VHF. What channel should I monitor?

If we do go all the way in the one day I realise we will be punching the tide towards the end of our journey. How will it compare with the Ouse?

'Red Wharf' managed just under 3 mph coming out of Naburn yesterday morning (and then nearly 8 mph once the tide had turned!)

Thanks in advance.

SAM

I would plan to stop at Torksey if time allows....there are good moorings and pubs etc.

I would monitor channel 16 and 74 if your set allows it.

Is it a big tide tomorrow? That will effect how much water to have to punch at the end..?.although I doubt if there is much flow coming down the Trent at the moment.

Cheers

Gareth

Make sure you have both the Tidal Trent and Non-tidal Trent charts (from the TBA - not the Nicholson ons) so you'll know where the shallows are (the water is very low at the moment) so the shallows are much more extensive than normal.

Depending on the tides you could be stuck for 24 hours or several days so, have plenty of water and food on board - it pays to avoid the sandbanks.

vhf channels

♦ Trent below Gainsborough ### 15 Burton Stather Wharf 17 Flixborough Wharf (Flixship) 17 Grove Wharf 17 Keadby Lock 74 Gunness Wharf 17 West Stockwith Lock 74 Gainsborough Wharf 17 ♦ Trent above Gainsborough ### 06 Torksey Lock 74 Cromwell, Nether, Town, Hazelford, Gunthorpe, Stoke, Holme Locks

If you can I would recommend a stop at Torksey over night. Two good pubs in the village, The White Swan next to the lock and The Hume Arms in the village. The post office stocks basic provisions as does the White Swan.

The tide in the upper reaches of the Trent isnt very strong and is nothing like the tide on the Ouse.

As has already been said. Watch the sand banks there is very little water in the Trent at the moment on both the tidal and non tidal stretches. Cut corners and you will run aground. There is a beach at Dunham at the moment extending over half way across the river from mid tide to low tide as you approach the bridge on the straight!

Thank you for those prompt replies.

It struck me that there wasn't a great deal of water in the Aire as we cruised along it yesterday.

Looking at the Ouse, the brown, muddy water and the mud banks I wondered why it wasn't called the Ooze!

ETA Victor Vectis posting as Little Else.

Edited by Little Else

Good Afternoon Everyone.

We're booked to go onto the Trent at 06:00 the day after tomorrow,..Thursday.

It's an early start, so..........................

Do we stop off at Torksey, as planned, or make it all the way to Cromwell in one go?

Your opinions please.

We have lifejackets and VHF. What channel should I monitor?

If we do go all the way in the one day I realise we will be punching the tide towards the end of our journey. How will it compare with the Ouse?

'Red Wharf' managed just under 3 mph coming out of Naburn yesterday morning (and then nearly 8 mph once the tide had turned!)

Thanks in advance.

SAM

Are you leaving Keadby at 0600, or is that the time you were given to be there when you booked the pen?

Edited by tony dunkley

When we phoned the lockie said be ready for 06:00 and we should be out by 06:30.

Should have said in the OP leaving from Keadby.

I'll hazard a guess that they might suggest an earlier time if you were planning to go right up to Cromwell? Much earlier now would be fairly dark

Tim

When we phoned the lockie said be ready for 06:00 and we should be out by 06:30.

By 0630 (on Th 25 Sept) around one third of the time for the flood (ingoing tide) running up will have gone. You will get a good push up to Torksey, and based on the speed estimates you have given for your boat I would expect you to be at Torksey about 1000 to1015 at the latest. There will still be some tide running up at Torksey and you will have plenty of time left to make Cromwell (about another 16 miles), but you will run out of tide before Cromwell. There won't be very much in the way of ebb to bother you but the river level will start to drop a little in the last few miles. So, if you don't know the river well enough to be sure that you won't ground anywhere, and then have to wait for the next tide (probably around 2230- 2300 that night where you're likely to be) you would be better off stopping at Torksey and then leaving there on the first of the flood the following morning.

Edited by tony dunkley

Wow Tony. If he makes it from Keady to Torksey in 3.5 hours in a narrow-boat on a small tide with very low water in the river I will donate my entire months earnings to a charity of your choice.

Not a chance!

I hope you work for a company that pays you what you're worth.

I hope you work for a company that pays you what you're worth.

My monthly payment is £2488.25. Plus there are £340 of expenses this month. My company pension payment of £210 will come out though before I get it so the total will be £2618.25.

Im confident this will still be in my bank account as they have not got a cat in hells chance of covering the 28 miles in 3.5 hours.

They wont be able to average 8mph for the whole leg of the trip. They will run out of push from the tide.

ETA: Sunrise tomorrow is 6.55am. The first half hour or so of their passage wont be in great light which wont help their chances biggrin.png

Edited by Naughty Cal

My monthly payment is £2488.25. Plus there are £340 of expenses this month. My company pension payment of £210 will come out though before I get it so the total will be £2618.25.

Im confident this will still be in my bank account as they have not got a cat in hells chance of covering the 28 miles in 3.5 hours.

They wont be able to average 8mph for the whole leg of the trip. They will run out of push from the tide.

ETA: Sunrise tomorrow is 6.55am. The first half hour or so of their passage wont be in great light which wont help their chances biggrin.png

I'm glad to hear that . . . . I thought I would end up trying to find a Charity that wanted a small bag of washers.

Just as a matter of interest . . . what makes you think we're on small tides at the moment? . . . there's a new moon tonight.

I'm glad to hear that . . . . I thought I would end up trying to find a Charity that wanted a small bag of washers.

Just as a matter of interest . . . what makes you think we're on small tides at the moment? . . . there's a new moon tonight.

Well they aint huge are they?

7.5m for the morning tide at Hull which isn't a big tide by any stretch. Getting smaller for the evening tide to 7.4m.

By contrast the last big tides were over 9m!

Edited by Naughty Cal

Well they aint huge are they?

7.5m for the morning tide at Hull which isn't a big tide by any stretch. Getting smaller for the evening tide to 7.4m.

By contrast the last big tides were over 9m!

Th 25 Sept HW Hull 0734 (BST) 8.6m ( Outer Sill - Albert Dock)

1959 (BST) 8.6m

Edited by tony dunkley