Small washer dryers

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Nice looking boat NC. With reference to washing machines on sea going boats...we had a Zanussi compact aboard our 60ft tug for six years. Never had a problem with it. We (or rather I) did the washing while at anchor, sometimes in bad weather conditions. The movement did not seem to affect the machine. Just make sure it's well fastened down!

Drying stuff can be a bit of a bugger, we have a Rayburn which is great during winter but not for the summer months.I have never seen a compact dual purpose machine.

suze

We were looking for a boat that wouldnt cut down our cruising grounds but would be a comfortable liveaboard whilst still being able to cruise on the coast at a reasonable speed but without all of the crash, bang, boom associated with a planing hull.

When we had a look around the Greenline at the boat show a few years back we both knew instantly it was the one but the price new was too high for us at the time considering we would also need to make a few modifications to it. Now they have come down in price we can start to put the wheels in motion so to speak.

Can't really be of any other assistance, but just a note for anyone that doesn't know, condensing washing machines use a considerable volume of water as they use cold water to cool the condensing plates for the hot moist air from drying the clothes.

Can't really be of any other assistance, but just a note for anyone that doesn't know, condensing washing machines use a considerable volume of water as they use cold water to cool the condensing plates for the hot moist air from drying the clothes.

We had already noticed the water usage aspect but in this case it wont be a problem. When on our home mooring we will simply plug the boat into the tap, it has a system which works much like a household water supply when plugged in. When away from our home mooring it will be fed from the large on board water tank.

We had already noticed the water usage aspect but in this case it wont be a problem. When on our home mooring we will simply plug the boat into the tap, it has a system which works much like a household water supply when plugged in. When away from our home mooring it will be fed from the large on board water tank.

That's rather nifty, I was wondering if that was what the fancy hose connection was for :)

We will be modifying the existing utility cupboard to take a washing machine so can pretty much do this to suit any machine. We would like one designed for marine use as we will still be lumpy water boating despite their higher price tag.

How would a standard household machine cope with use on a sea boat?

We obviously wouldnt be doing a load of washing at sea but the machine would still have to cope with the movement of the boat. Although this wont be crash bang boom like it is with NC it wont be smooth either!

Eumenia worked during an Atlantic crossing if that helps. Held down with ratchet strap its drain was a "T" into a deck drain pipe.

You may be alarmed at the price but as I said above its the only one that would fit the dedicated space (formally a towel cupboard) and also drop through the stateroom hatch.

Nice looking boat.

One thing that would concern me over the dryer on the boat, is where you would vent it to, as they all seem to produce a large amount of condensation?

If you get a condensing washer/ dryer then there is no vent it all goes out the same way as the washing water.

don't entertain a dryer that has an external air vent its just not worth it.

Eumenia worked during an Atlantic crossing if that helps. Held down with ratchet strap its drain was a "T" into a deck drain pipe.

You may be alarmed at the price but as I said above its the only one that would fit the dedicated space (formally a towel cupboard) and also drop through the stateroom hatch.

That's one we have seen but it doesn't dry.

Not alarmed by the price. It's half the price of the Miele we have looked at!

I find mine dries much quicker if I play my banjo and sing songs to it.

That's because it wants you to stop playing :)

So if a small washer dryer isn't available at all, what's best for Plan B?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Let me fix that for you

I like the look of the boat too, but for me it has too many windows for liveaboard use. I guess they're all double glazed?

If you get a condensing washer/ dryer then there is no vent it all goes out the same way as the washing water.
don't entertain a dryer that has an external air vent its just not worth it.

Why not? I have a separate (non-condensing) vented dryer and I just chuck the vent pipe out the window. I only use it for large items that I can't hang in the boat like bedsheets, but it works fine.

Edit: I think we once had this conversation before and you said vented dryers produce a lot of dust. I can't say I've ever noticed it myself. In my opinion, if you have the space then a separate vented dryer is well worth it.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4802077.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12525739490|tsid:59158|cid:200294090|lid:94833394970|nw:g|crid:42772551170|rnd:5691355961844855822|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

Edited by blackrose

Blimey! "The best 3 kg washing machine in the world"

I wonder what it does that my Zanussi ZWC1300W doesn't?

Well I also have the same Zanussi now but haven't had the opportunity to check it out over 13 years, 40,000nm and several ocean crossings yet.

I like the look of the boat too, but for me it has too many windows for liveaboard use. I guess they're all double glazed?

Why not? I have a separate (non-condensing) vented dryer and I just chuck the vent pipe out the window. I only use it for large items that I can't hang in the boat like bedsheets, but it works fine.

Edit: I think we once had this conversation before and you said vented dryers produce a lot of dust. I can't say I've ever noticed it myself. In my opinion, if you have the space then a separate vented dryer is well worth it.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4802077.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12525739490|tsid:59158|cid:200294090|lid:94833394970|nw:g|crid:42772551170|rnd:5691355961844855822|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

Yes the windows are double glazed with the exception of the large lifting one that opens the galley up to the cockpit area.

Not all of them open but there are four in the saloon, two in the shower room and two and a hatch in the bedroom that do.

So if a small washer dryer isn't available at a reasonable price, what's best for Plan B?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Buy one that's a bit pricey!