Would a Rutland 913 be enough?

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

I need to replace around 40 to 50 amp-hours a day. I am wondering about buying a wind turbine. We've got solar panels that currently give us around 8ah in winter weather and hopefully around 50ah in summer weather. So I am looking into getting a Rutland 913 turbine to supplement them in the winter. Do you think 40 to 50 ah is realistic? The charge rates look pretty good.

The other option is to get ourselves an alternator controller to reduce our engine-running time, although I must say I prefer the idea of the wind turbine...

Hi Tom

Two links for you, one giving the output of the 913 compared to wind speed and one to the Beaufort scale giving wind speeds and what they feel like.

If you correlate them, to get a charge rate of 6 amps you need a wind speed of 20knots, 20 knots on the Beaufort scale is equivalent to "

Fresh Breeze Small trees in leaf begin to

sway; crested wavelets form on

inland waters.

To get 60amp/hrs this wind would need to be blowing for 10 hrs.

Edit: to add links <_<

Edited by bottle

I need to replace around 40 to 50 amp-hours a day. I am wondering about buying a wind turbine. We've got solar panels that currently give us around 8ah in winter weather and hopefully around 50ah in summer weather. So I am looking into getting a Rutland 913 turbine to supplement them in the winter. Do you think 40 to 50 ah is realistic? The charge rates look pretty good.

The other option is to get ourselves an alternator controller to reduce our engine-running time, although I must say I prefer the idea of the wind turbine...

The table shown in the link in a later post shows about 2 or 3 amps charge at up to 15 knots from the 913. The average windspeed in the UK in summer in the south of England for example is 9 knots this gives your output nearer to 1 or 2 amps per hour.

I suggest you do some more reserch

Charles

Tom,

I have also considered a Rutland. A couple of points to consider:-

1). Power output around 40 amp hours per day seems possible, but likely not if you are in a sheltered location with trees or hills around you (typical canal mooring). Even on a breezy day, I have heard people say they get little output because the trees around them disturb the wind flow.

2). To ensure that it does not disturb your sleep, best to locate / install on land. If this is not possible, as far away from your bedroom as possible.

Ian

The table shown in the link in a later post shows about 2 or 3 amps charge at up to 15 knots from the 913. The average windspeed in the UK in summer in the south of England for example is 9 knots this gives your output nearer to 1 or 2 amps per hour.

Charles

You quoted the average windspeed in Summer - do you know what it is in Winter?

I wouldn't put too much faith in an 'average wind speed'. It will be measured in a clear open space, and is only an average, i.e. there may be no measurable wind for half the time, and some of the time the wind speed may be too strong to allow you to fully benefit from it. I guess you need to look for the number of hours per day that the wind speed is above x knots.

amamzingly ive been thinking the same! sterling alternator battery charger or rutland 913. anyone got a 913?

Yeah, tbh, all this info is on the web, im sure you could look up the stats for the 913 yourself, lol.

If your actually serous about producing a that sort of amount of electricty, you might also most be better off looking at some of the smaller fixed units designed for houses etc, for which you will find info on the EST website.

- Somthink like this maybe: http://www.provenenergy.co.uk/proven-0.6-2.html

- 50Ah a day at 12v is 60Wh a day, 220kWh a year. So find another boat who wants to go halfs on a Proven 0.6 and your away!! <_<

Daniel

The guy on the boat next to mine has one, it's a GRP cruiser so he doesn't get much charge off his engine. The 913 keeps his single 110Ah battery pretty much fully charged, he's not living aboard and doesn't have a fridge but he leaves his lights blazing all evening even when he leaves his boat for an hour or two. It's really his only source of recharging his battery so it definitely makes a difference.

Other people at the marina have them and no one has ever said it's been a waste of money, except maybe the guy who installed his a month or so before the marina added a 240v supply to his jetty, and even then he still uses it.

No but you might tell us when you find out, google is pretty handy I find!

Yeah, tbh, all this info is on the web, im sure you could look up the stats for the 913 yourself, lol.

Of course I could (and have) look up all the stats on the 913 on the web, but what I am after is personal experience. Stats don't tell us an awful lot compared to real life experience.

Shame that some people can be so condescending on these forums, it does make the experience slightly less enjoyable.

I wish that people wouldn't post things at all if they haven't got anything useful to say instead of some annoying sarcy comment.

Edited by tomandsophie

Based on our experience thus far of solar panels (20Ah yesterday in January!) and on finding out that we have an alternator controller already on our system, we have decided to get a Rutland 913. Will be posting our findings if anybody's interested...

Edited by tomandsophie

Based on our experience thus far of solar panels (20Ah yesterday in January!) and on finding out that we have an alternator controller already on our system, we have decided to get a Rutland 913. Will be posting our findings if anybody's interested...

Very interested please.

.....we have decided to get a Rutland 913. Will be posting our findings if anybody's interested...

I am very interested. I am sure anyone thinking about buying a Rutland would be interested.

Hope it gives you the output you are hoping for.

Ian

Elessina

Very interested please.

How big are your solar panels? Have you got them tilted towards the sun? I am finding myself very interested in some.

Nick

The 913 figures will be of interest to many of us too.

Yeah, i'd be very interested too.

- Although currently as were bascaily on the move anytime where on the boat we dont really need them, if in the furter i end up living on EA for a streach of time a wind turbine would deffornatly be considered.

Daniel

• 4 months later...
Yeah, i'd be very interested too.

- Although currently as were bascaily on the move anytime where on the boat we dont really need them, if in the furter i end up living on EA for a streach of time a wind turbine would deffornatly be considered.

Daniel

I have not actually used one but the people I've spoken to who have them think they are pretty good and effective to a point.. but only when there is win!! lol.

Paul Clevett (Tafelberg) wrote an article about it and it is here: article linky.

(if it isn't ok for me to link to the article just remove it.. thanks)

• 2 years later...

I had one of these, it was old when I got it I used it for 10 yrs and passed it on, very reliable, simple, easy to get parts, great company.... just ring them and ask.

These combined turgine/digi regulated units dont last, and when they go wrong boy do they do a good job of it.

How big are your solar panels? Have you got them tilted towards the sun? I am finding myself very interested in some.

Nick

I have two 68w solar panels (not pointed to the sun) and a Rutland 913. I find that they power all my electrical needs, fridge, water pump, lights and phone charging etc during an average day between them. The batteries only seem to deplete during the night according to the SmartGuage so then I have to charge the batteries by the engine alternator if I need to make up that overnight loss.

I am very happy with the 913 and don't regret buying it, I just have to find a way of isolating the noise/vibration successfully, but you do get used to it.

I bought my 913 direct from Marlec in Corby - very, very helpfull sales team and they are open to doing a deal.

Andy.