Bubble Tester or Gasfuse

Featured Posts

So have you opened all the gas taps to see if it shuts off?

not got that far yet - I still need to get a gas tight seal to the main cylinder...

I don't yet have an easy way to simulate a catastrophic failure (which is what the gas fuse is supposed to deal with). I only have a gas cooker, and no unused branches where I could open an isolator!

I put a bubble tester in, its great, even means bss test is cheaper each time.

I removed the bubble tester from our boat after the sight glass developed a leak, emptying two cylinders of gas into the gas locker. I fitted a test point adjacent to the Ellis heatmaster boiler, which is easy to use and a better indication of any drop in pressure than a bubble tester. It has not been a problem with the examiners i have used, all of whom have indicated that they preferred to use a manometer rather than rely on a bubble tester. Despite suggestions from some people, i have never been charged any more because we do not have bubble tester either.

Edited by David Schweizer

It has not been a problem with the examiners i have used, all of whom have indicated that they preferred to use a manometer rather than rely on a bubble tester. Despite suggestions from some people, i have never been charged any more because we do not have bubble tester either. well there you go then, just goes to show how different examiners w

ork. My examiner really wanted a bubble tester fitting,

Edited by Hoose

I bought a gas fuse from there stand at crick and it shut off when he opened a tap, he also assured me it conforms to bss but its not fitted yet as I don't get my shell until the end of sept, but I might put it on the bottle in my motor home for now.

Neil

It has not been a problem with the examiners i have used, all of whom have indicated that they preferred to use a manometer rather than rely on a bubble tester. Despite suggestions from some people, i have never been charged any more because we do not have bubble tester either.

well there you go then, just goes to show how different examiners w

ork. My examiner really wanted a bubble tester fitting,

Have you considered that may be because he may not be that familiar with the operation of a manometer? The operator has to understand just a bit more than simply reading it, including changes in ambient temperature, but is is almost certainly what the Gas Safe engineer will use if he performs a pressure test on the gas in your home.

Please do tell me where as I can't find the answer hence why I asked in the first place !!!

I'm sure you are aware that there is no proscribed solution in engineering standards, rather you should ensure your installation is designed to satisfy the requirements, in this case sections 7.7 and 7.8. There are clearly several options, the choice of which which will depend on your particular installation and layout.

Don't think there's much to add to that.

Have you considered that may be because he may not be that familiar with the operation of a manometer? The operator has to understand just a bit more than simply reading it, including changes in ambient temperature, but is is almost certainly what the Gas Safe engineer will use if he performs a pressure test on the gas in your home.

On the one occassion that there was a (small) leak in my gas system, the bubble tester (since removed) did not identify any problems, but a manometer test did. It was a very slight leak, which one tweak on one compression fitting resolved, but it demonstated to me that a manometer is a far more discerning test than any bubble tester.

On the one occassion that there was a (small) leak in my gas system, the bubble tester (since removed) did not identify any problems, but a manometer test did. It was a very slight leak, which one tweak on one compression fitting resolved, but it demonstated to me that a manometer is a far more discerning test than any bubble tester.

I recently read a recommendation on this forum that the observation period for a bubble tester should be much longer than is specified in the instructions, to address this point.

Much work has been done with the Australian suppliers and the UK representatives for this product by the BSS technical team. Purely from the BSS perspective, currently we cannot endorse its use as an equivalent item to a bubble tester or as an alternative method for conducting a tightness test concerning BSS checks 7.12.1 & 7.12.2 [2013] or 7.22 [2002,] nor can it be considered as a shut-off valve for compliance with BSS Requirements.

Therefore a bubble tester or gas test point is required in the system.

I'm sure you are aware that there is no proscribed solution in engineering standards, rather you should ensure your installation is designed to satisfy the requirements, in this case sections 7.7 and 7.8. There are clearly several options, the choice of which which will depend on your particular installation and layout.

Don't think there's much to add to that.

The question was Can you use a bubble tester on a flexible hose installation the answer is yes.

No much other than that needed to be said basically!

Gas regulators are supposed to operate within a prescribed range of pressures. The pressure is easy to test with a manometer but I assume that is not possible with a bubble tester.

What are your thoughts on having both ?

All BSS examiners are trained and examined in the use of manometers.(by Gas Safe) But boat examiners are not all gas engineers and otherwise have very little need to measure pressure. Dangerous pressure related problems are detectable by observing gas burner flames

There has been a recent change in the test using bubble testers. The test time has been increased from 20 seconds to sixty seconds. Since that change I have failed three boats that would have passed before the change.

I recently read a recommendation on this forum that the observation period for a bubble tester should be much longer than is specified in the instructions, to address this point.

As I mentioned above the test period HAS been changed

Gas regulators are supposed to operate within a prescribed range of pressures. The pressure is easy to test with a manometer but I assume that is not possible with a bubble tester.

BSS examiners main concern is about the system being leak free. The bubble tester indicates gas flow when there should not be any flow i.e. a leak There is no need to check the pressure. A serious regulator defect shows itself in other checks. BSS promote bubble testers because boat owners have a facility to check tightness for themselves without risk.

An earlier post mentioned that gas leaked through a cracked glass in the bubble tester. The observation chamber is by-passed when the device is not being operated. There was probably further reason for this to happen.

As for the OP the "Gas-Fuse" as I understand shuts off gas in the case of catastrophic leak, NOT the slow leak that gradually fills the boat bilges with gas. It is "as well as" rather than "instead of"

Edited by Radiomariner