Problems in Manchester - vandals rampage on the Ashton

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

This is not good reading and perhaps reflects poorly on "inner city" regeneration in known bad areas which are still "active", I filmed here on the Ashton 12 years ago and noted it was one of the scariest places to be carrying a camera

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/new-islington-residents-describe-horror-7586990

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/gang-10-yobs-go-armed-7584945

This is not good reading and perhaps reflects poorly on "inner city" regeneration in known bad areas which are still "active", I filmed here on the Ashton 12 years ago and noted it was one of the scariest places to be carrying a camera

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/new-islington-residents-describe-horror-7586990

They need to hope they don't end up meeting up with a police fire arms unit.

They sound cocky enough to show enough bravado for who ever is carrying the gun to get themselves shot.

Thanks to this Government we now have a police service not a police force:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/unwanted-news-65-police-stations-2329902

I know this report is Scotland but it is happening in England as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2013/jan/09/police-station-closing-london-map

The fact is people don't visit the front desks as much as they used to. It takes 6 staff to fill a 24 hr post, and the ones covering nights probably see less than half a dozen people on a busy day in some areas. Those posts are needed elsewhere.

In what way are police station closures in Scotland or London relevant to Ancoats?

The fact is people don't visit the front desks as much as they used to. It takes 6 staff to fill a 24 hr post, and the ones covering nights probably see less than half a dozen people on a busy day in some areas. Those posts are needed elsewhere.

That would be the officers on foot patrol our beloved leaders are so fond of bragging about.

Was this actually on the Ashton, or New Islington marina on the Rochdale? We lasted about 2 weeks at that marina before buggering off. Not a big fan of marinas in the first place, but the natives were already pretty threatening (spitting, trying to tailgate me) even before it opened. I can't imagine it's much better now.

You can't just stick a water feature full of people living an alternative lifestyle in vulnerable boats and a couple of arty tower blocks near one of the roughest places in the country and expect it to magically gentrify.

It has a lovely view of the methadone pharmacy and Argos. Felt safer in East London.

Edited by oarfish

That would be the officers on foot patrol our beloved leaders are so fond of bragging about.

I would doubt that TBH the last few times I have visited the front desk of any of our local stations in Cleveland it has been civilian staff manning them. There may have been a police officer lurking somewhere but I can't recall seeing one.

I would think it more likely be redeployed to other civilian duties or worse made redundant.

Just two examples of what is happening nation wide. Sometimes I think you make comments just to be controversial.

No, I'm just pointing out that what happens in Scotland or in London is not necessarily replicated in Manchester, especially when locally funded.

Extrapolation can be a useful tool, but let's not use statistics for one city to explain something occurring in another.

I would doubt that TBH the last few times I have visited the front desk of any of our local stations in Cleveland it has been civilian staff manning them. There may have been a police officer lurking somewhere but I can't recall seeing one.

I would think it more likely be redeployed to other civilian duties or worse made redundant.

Agreed, but the staff cost money regardless of whether they are civilians or officers!

Is it just me thinking how can an armed rampage last an hour in a city without the police stopping it? In most countries they would be all shot dead in that time.

Is it just me thinking how can an armed rampage last an hour in a city without the police stopping it? In most countries they would be all shot dead in that time.

No, it's not just you, but you do need to allow for MEN hyberbole.

Armed rampage = more than one youth, with something that might have a passing resemblance to a weapon.

I dont think I would want to be a Police Officer we have a few as customers and as happens they become friends so we hear whats happening on the front line. As an ex soldier who has been in NI it sounds remarkably similar to my experiances there too much to do and not enough time to do it. Its easy to blame the Government but if they were to take money from elsewhere to help the police the dogooders would just complain its a no win situation

Peter

Agreed, but the staff cost money regardless of whether they are civilians or officers!

Of course they do but I was responding to your suggestion that they would be officers that would be spending time on foot patrol rather than manning the front desk. If they are civilians this is not going to happen.

Though I suppose if you count PCSO's as officers on foot patrol I guess technically they could be redeployed to that type of role.

Armed rampage = more than one youth, with something that might have a passing resemblance to a weapon.

I too wondered about the extent to which a degree of sensationalisation had been applied to that report.

Still the record shows it's not a good idea to wave anything around in a public place that looks like a firearm, not if you don't want to risk getting shot by a police officer forced to make a snap decision under pressure about whether it's genuine or not.

Was this actually on the Ashton, or New Islington marina on the Rochdale? We lasted about 2 weeks at that marina before buggering off. Not a big fan of marinas in the first place, but the natives were already pretty threatening (spitting, trying to tailgate me) even before it opened. I can't imagine it's much better now.

You can't just stick a water feature full of people living an alternative lifestyle in vulnerable boats and a couple of arty tower blocks near one of the roughest places in the country and expect it to magically gentrify.

It has a lovely view of the methadone pharmacy and Argos. Felt safer in East London.

You have no evidence for your statement on New Islington I presume? I moored for the full 14 days on the visitor moorings at NI and had no problems DeanS of this parish moores there and not seen him complain except about the noise on sunny days

We recently had a meeting between boaters and police at the marina.

Police are severely understaffed and therefore concentrate on areas that need them.

Ancoats has issues with young kids (11 to 18) , who I have always called the "untouchables". (Too young to be imprisoned, and committing crimes which are more of a nuisance than anything too dangerous (spitting, throwing stones, stealing bikes, swearing, etc) . More of a nuisance than a war zone.

The meeting basically highlighted that if boaters don't report the issues (and captured in the system), then it doesn't get noticed by upper management (who read the graphs), and police resources wont be forthcoming.

A 14yr old youth was caught stealing a bike...and given a caution.

Most boaters have had bikes stolen, including myself.

Is it enough to leave the marina. No.

At the moment, they're about to build 44 new homes on the offside of the marina, a school, and turn the Argos into an ASDA with cinemas.

This should improve the "look" of the area....slowly.

You have no evidence for your statement on New Islington I presume? I moored for the full 14 days on the visitor moorings at NI and had no problems DeanS of this parish moores there and not seen him complain except about the noise on sunny days

I was a resident. I believe the modern terminology would be 'lived experience'. I don't take low level harassment and intimidation from scroats lightly, having been the victim of several violent robberies that started off like that while living in Manchester over the years. There was no way in hell I would be walking back to my boat from work there. DeanS has a pretty high level of optimism. You gentrify an area by moving the lumpenproletariat out, not giving them things to play with.

Edited by oarfish

Is it just me or does it seem every time someone post something on here cotswoldsman has been there and done it or knows about the area in question, AND thinks the poster is telling porkies? He does get around doesn't he.

Darren

Edited by ChimneyChain
  • Greenie 1

Is it just me or does it seem every time someone post something on here cotswoldsman has been there and done it or knows about the area in question, AND thinks the poster is telling porkies? He does get around doesn't he.

Darren

Yes, Cotswold man does get around. He is a genuine continuous cruiser. I, for one, would like you not to post unkind things about him as I highly value his posts and knowledge. Since Cotswoldman manages to travel so much of the system his knowledge is usually up to date and to me more use then endless spatting. Please don't scare him away.

• Greenie 1

The people's glasses are tinted deepest red.

not true.

Mooring in the centre of any CBD, has it's downside. I think it's realistic not to expect things to be all rosy. I do however, think that it could be a lot worse than it currently is...with a slow trend upwards on a year to year basis.....

I reckon on a weekly basis, there may be 2hrs of trouble...if that....at the moment. ...not too bad.

The yoofs with the gun couldn't have been that bad....we all slept through it....and they weren't near the main boating community...again it seems to all have kicked off on the public side which unfortunately is also the visitor mooring section.

I have always said...fine on the official moorings...risky on the public side.

Darren

Amazing hey been CCing fir 8 years have covered the system some of it 2 or 3 times and as it happens having cruised from Sharpness this year via Birmingham and BCN I am at present about 15 miles from New Islington. Can I ask you what point you are trying to make? Are you trying to say that I have not moored at New Islington I also forgot to mention while I was in Gloucester for the winter I caught a train to Manchester for the day and had a very pleasant time on Dean, s boat ok if I mention he makes a very good cup of coffee