Lister JP/JK 6

flatplane8

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Just an idle question for a rainy afternoon. What are the dimensions of a Lister JK6? I'm pondering replacement engine options again and this appeals in the sense of its familiar (we have a JP3 currently) and 'British'. Not exactly rational reasons, but neither is owning a boat in the first place. Our engine room is 7 feet long and the engine bearers should fit a larger JP ok.

Thanks,

Simon

90hp sounds about right to me for a boat the size of MISTERTON.

I suspect the JK6 engine, with gearbox, is more than seven feet long though.

MtB

My spidey senses are failing me. How big is Misterton?

Richard

90hp sounds about right to me for a boat the size of MISTERTON.

I suspect the JK6 engine, with gearbox, is more than seven feet long though.

MtB

We moved up from a Lister HA3 (33 bhp) to a Gardner 4LW (about 56 bhp), in the same (edit - very similar) size of boat (the first engine was a JP2).

The 4LW was perfectly adequate, the bluff bow shape is quite an effective speed limiter above about (as far as I remember) 7 mph.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Hi,

Yes, she's pretty big, somewhere around 60-70 tons. As Tim has said, you don't need much power for forward motion, but its stopping that's the problem. We also want an engine that could safely take us across to Europe in the future, as where we are now in Suffolk that's about 100 miles over to Holland. A modern engine would be the sensible choice, but I do like the old engines.... :)

Simon

Hi,

Yes, she's pretty big, somewhere around 60-70 tons. As Tim has said, you don't need much power for forward motion, but its stopping that's the problem. We also want an engine that could safely take us across to Europe in the future, as where we are now in Suffolk that's about 100 miles over to Holland. A modern engine would be the sensible choice, but I do like the old engines.... smile.png

Simon

We did Boston- Oostende (200nm) non-stop with the HA3, power was not really an issue there. Much more of an issue on a few of the Continental rivers.

Tim

Yes I agree, but if we do re-engine, we might as well up the power a bit. On our website the latest blog post has a video called 'Conniston dyke' and she's going along quite well there (800rpm) but we had the tide with us to some degree.

Does anyone know the length of a jk6? I bought an old instruction book for one from ebay, but it didn't have dimensions.

Hi,

Yes, she's pretty big, somewhere around 60-70 tons. As Tim has said, you don't need much power for forward motion, but its stopping that's the problem. We also want an engine that could safely take us across to Europe in the future, as where we are now in Suffolk that's about 100 miles over to Holland. A modern engine would be the sensible choice, but I do like the old engines.... smile.png

Simon

I'm no expert on your craft, or on JPs, but my gut reaction is to say go for it, if you can make it fit. I have been on the Canal du Midi, and would recommend you have as much engine as possible, to make river journeys feasible on the way down through France.

In theory yes, but I was wondering if anyone knew exact dimensions.

Surely it's academic as there are none on the market.

Or maybe there are! In which case you could nip over and measure the nearest one to you....

MtB

Actually, you could try PMing the bloke on here. He seems to have two!

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5739.0

MtB

it is academic, it would just be useful to have an idea of dimensions if one comes up in the next year or two. As I said, I've got some experience with the JP series and the engine beds look the same width. I was hoping someone might have a manual with dimensions, but yes, the obvious thing is to measure one when the time arrives.

Hi All,

Just an idle question for a rainy afternoon. What are the dimensions of a Lister JK6? I'm pondering replacement engine options again and this appeals in the sense of its familiar (we have a JP3 currently) and 'British'. Not exactly rational reasons, but neither is owning a boat in the first place. Our engine room is 7 feet long and the engine bearers should fit a larger JP ok.

Thanks,

Simon

You wont be that familiar with the workings of the JP or JK6 as other than loosely looking similar outside they are a very different engine with a lot of components being different and harder to get hold of than those of a JP2,3,4 etc.

Different heads (Each head covers 2 cylinders)

Different Head gaskets

Different cylinder liners

Completely different layout of crankcase/drive for injector pump etc etc.

If I were you I would be aiming for a JK4 this would still nearly double your hp and all parts except (Crank and bearings and camshaft, and a few little bits and bobs) are exactly the same as the smaller JP's which you can get bits for both here in the UK and Holland. You can rebuild a JP4 to JK spec if you have the right crank and associated bits. JK4 62hp @ 1500rpm and depending on which crank version the engine has a JK4 is 61 1/4" or 67 1/4" long engine only, gearbox would be on top of this. I have the data sheet for the JP/JK6's at home so will get the length off of that for you later.

Oh and MtB there are a couple of JP/K6's on the market if you know where to look wink.png. Hint, Apollo duck for starters http://engines.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=316375

Edited by martyn 1

Thanks Martyn, much appreciated. I've also thought of a JK4 as that will definitely fit, the JK 6 just has a bit more power. As background, we'd like to take our barge to Europe one day and the TRIWV regulation which affect boats our size seem to demand a minimum speed through the water of 13khm. According to some online prop calculators we'd need 80HP to achieve this. I know the JK 6 is quite different in terms of heads, block, castings etc. more that its a familiar concept.

I'm no expert on your craft, or on JPs, but my gut reaction is to say go for it, if you can make it fit. I have been on the Canal du Midi, and would recommend you have as much engine as possible, to make river journeys feasible on the way down through France.

For the river journeys on the way down through France, you don't need much power at all, it's only when you want to get back up that a bit more power wouldn't do any harm.

But if you're not in a rush and you don't have to go upstream on the Rhône when de river is in flood, and have the time to wait after some heavy rain showers all will be much easier a couple of days after the rain has stopped.

Once on the Canal du Midi, almost all engines are overpowered as you'll rarely have to use much more than fast idle to reach a reasonable canal speed without washing the banks away.

Peter.

Found instruction book/parts list for Lister JP616 (same bore/stroke, weight, power output as JP6) 70 bhp @ 1200. Unfortunately no info on size.

Wonder what the difference is.

I think it's like jp vs jk, lower rev limit etc.

Found instruction book/parts list for Lister JP616 (same bore/stroke, weight, power output as JP6) 70 bhp @ 1200. Unfortunately no info on size.

Wonder what the difference is.

the differences are the same as say a JP4 and a JK4, The 61-6 or JP6 has a max governed speed of 1200 rpm and the JK6 has a max governed speed of 1500rpm. To achieve this like the smaller engines it has different bearings, crank etc.

Incidentally the engine only length for a JP/JK6 is 74 1/2" according to the data sheet I have. And weights in at a hefty 1.81 tonnes

the differences are the same as say a JP4 and a JK4, The 61-6 or JP6 has a max governed speed of 1200 rpm and the JK6 has a max governed speed of 1500rpm. To achieve this like the smaller engines it has different bearings, crank etc.

Incidentally the engine only length for a JP/JK6 is 74 1/2" according to the data sheet I have. And weights in at a hefty 1.81 tonnes

Thanks Martyn, that's about the length of our engine room!

Martyn still has the Gleniffer DC3's with gearbox's I believe - you may have to fit both though wink.png

Thanks to Tim for the JP616/JP6 info. What threw me was the individual listing of both engine type names.