TV Licence

Bikervet

Featured Posts

Surely this concession is only meant to apply to truly portable TV sets (and would presumably apply these days to a laptop with a TV card).

I find the TV license website contradicts itself on this. On one page it says you need a license if your watch TV on virtually anything and specifically mentions mobile phones. On another page it says no license is needed if the batteries are internal and no aerial is attached. Surely that neatly describes a mobile phone.

I find the TV license website contradicts itself on this. On one page it says you need a license if your watch TV on virtually anything and specifically mentions mobile phones. On another page it says no license is needed if the batteries are internal and no aerial is attached. Surely that neatly describes a mobile phone.

No contradiction.

It clearly says such a device is covered by your home licence.

It's interesting how many on this thread are quoting the law, then suggesting that it's immoral not to buy a t.v. licence.

Someone who cruises isn't required by law to pay council tax but morally, there's no excuse to not do so. If cruisers don't pay council tax others who do have to pay more. Cruisers have access to local services. The fact that they might not use them is irrelevant, just as the law says you have to buy a licence even if you don't watch BBC.

So can I assume any cruisers on here taking the 'moral high ground' as regards getting a t.v. licence are also forming an orderly queue outside a local council office, in order to attempt to pay council tax?

It's interesting how many on this thread are quoting the law, then suggesting that it's immoral not to buy a t.v. licence.

Someone who cruises isn't required by law to pay council tax but morally, there's no excuse to not do so. If cruisers don't pay council tax others who do have to pay more. Cruisers have access to local services. The fact that they might not use them is irrelevant, just as the law says you have to buy a licence even if you don't watch BBC.

So can I assume any cruisers on here taking the 'moral high ground' as regards getting a t.v. licence are also forming an orderly queue outside a local council office, in order to attempt to pay council tax?

You are confusing two issues.

Show me the law that defines that if you are a CCer you have to pay council tax. And which authority would you pay it to, and what band would your boat be based on?

It's not a valid comparison.

No contradiction.

It clearly says such a device is covered by your home licence.

So you are saying that it isn't the case that you don't need a license if the equipment has internal batteries and no aerial only because you first have a home license. I have always been given to understand such equipment doesn't need a license even if you don't have a home license.

So when people say you don't need a license for equipment with batteries etc they are wrong. I can't see why they bother to state that on the website because as far as I can see if you aren't using your home set you are covered in your car, caravan, boat, tent etc

....., and what band would your boat be based on?

Well tonight I have had Led Zeppelin, pink Floyd, the Jeff Healey band and Yes.

TV licence, no....don't watch it

, council tax......have moved through about 17 different charging authorities this year already.

Well tonight I have had Led Zeppelin, pink Floyd, the Jeff Healey band and Yes.

TV licence, no....don't watch it

, council tax......have moved through about 17 different charging authorities this year already.

Who??!

MtB

So you are saying that it isn't the case that you don't need a license if the equipment has internal batteries and no aerial only because you first have a home license. I have always been given to understand such equipment doesn't need a license even if you don't have a home license.

So when people say you don't need a license for equipment with batteries etc they are wrong. I can't see why they bother to state that on the website because as far as I can see if you aren't using your home set you are covered in your car, caravan, boat, tent etc

I just read what it says on their web site. It's really not that difficult to comprehend.

The only people who seem to wish to over analyse or misinterpret what it does say seem to be the ones who seem to want avoid buying a licence.

You are confusing two issues.

Show me the law that defines that if you are a CCer you have to pay council tax. And which authority would you pay it to, and what band would your boat be based on?

It's not a valid comparison.

You've misunderstood. There is no law that requires cc'ers to pay council tax. My point was that those taking a 'moral high ground' stance as regards boaters buying (or not) a t.v. licence are using flawed logic as regards morality. The law (perhaps) states that a boater should buy a licence but is not required to pay council tax. Morally, either both should be paid, or none at all.

You've misunderstood. There is no law that requires cc'ers to pay council tax. My point was that those taking a 'moral high ground' stance as regards boaters buying (or not) a t.v. licence are using flawed logic as regards morality. The law (perhaps) states that a boater should buy a licence but is not required to pay council tax. Morally, either both should be paid, or none at all.

No you misunderstood.

It's not about morals.

The law states if you watch TV on your boat as a liveaboard you need a licence.

If you live aboard a boat the law does not allow for you to pay your community charge.

No you misunderstood.

It's not about morals.

If you live aboard a boat the law does not allow for you to pay your community charge.

Re-read post #78 carefully - Riccos1's post is about morals.

No

Council tax is a tax on having an interest in property as defined in law. If you do not have that interest there is no legal obligation to pay it. To argue there is a moral obligation to pay it is like arguing that I should pay Vehicle Excise Duty even though I don't have a car, or alcohol duty even though I don't drink

However the TV licence is required for you to use equipment capable of receiving a live TV, but the problem is the adminsitration of the licence assumes you have a home. Not having a home doesn't relieve you of the legal requirement for a licence, just makes it very difficult for the law to be administered.

Edited by magpie patrick

Exactly, how the hell would you pay them, and in the correct proportion.

Re-read post #78 carefully - Riccos1's post is about morals.

I have. It changes nowt.

Its easy to pay for your TV licence, it's currently impossible to pay for some sort of mobile/proportionate community charge.

'Morally' I am fine with that.

No you misunderstood.

It's not about morals.

I know what the law says. Law should be based on morality but in this case, because of the fact that cc'ers are required to buy a t.v. licence but not pay council tax, it isn't.

I know what the law says. Law should be based on morality but in this case, because of the fact that cc'ers are required to buy a t.v. licence but not pay council tax, it isn't.

You've lost me

Council Tax is a way of raising revenue to pay for council services

So is non-domestic rates, car parking charges, developer contributions, central taxation, market licences.... I could go on

Tax is a way of raising money, the moment you start down the road of saying you should pay tax according to the services you receive you are on a very slippery slope that ends with people who aren't paying tax being denied healthcare

Maybe law should be based on morality, but it often isn't.....shame...

I am truly humbled by the high standards of morality amongst my fellow forum members who have clearly never paid a cash price, done a little bit of cash work or bought something off the back of a lorry.

Well done the lot of you - if the country were populated exclusively with such moral citizens what a better place it would be.

Assuming they all do it in practice rather than just spout it on the internet of course rolleyes.gif

(I'm sure some are genuine, but equally sure some are spouting a morality they've never attained)

I am truly humbled by the high standards of morality amongst my fellow forum members who have clearly never paid a cash price, done a little bit of cash work or bought something off the back of a lorry.

Well done the lot of you - if the country were populated exclusively with such moral citizens what a better place it would be.

Assuming they all do it in practice rather than just spout it on the internet of course :rolleyes:

(I'm sure some are genuine, but equally sure some are spouting a morality they've never attained)

Is such sarcasm just yet another demonstration of how you wish the forum to be a more amicable and friendly place?

Your double standards and hypocrisy is breath taking sometimes.

Assuming they all do it in practice rather than just spout it on the internet of course :rolleyes:

I'm sure you have a point, but whilst some may have done that it is surely a whole "other thing" to proudly proclaim it on a public forum and advocate others to do the same?

I'm sure you have a point, but whilst some may have done that it is surely a whole "other thing" to proudly proclaim it on a public forum and advocate others to do the same?

That's where the discussion gets very interesting,in my view. My point was that this is an area of zero enforcement, and we have so many holier than thou joes that proclaim that although they could get away without buying a TV license as a ccer they would jump through hoops because of their moral duty towards society.

My thoughts are that most of them have, at some point in their lives, not paid their full dues to society and should therefore not be so keen to take the moral high ground.

So are you saying that the "holier than thou" brigade that had a very nice cash job on their house extension last week are ok because they keep their immorality under wraps? And they're doubly ok by proclaiming that if they were ccer's they would on "principal" sic find a way to pay their TV licence.