Hose from sump to pump...

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I currently have a brass pump fitted to a length of black 'rubber' hose from the oil sump (is that correct? I'm fairly new to engines...) which is used to change the oil. I would like a longer length of hose (perhaps 80cm-1m) so the pump can actually be bolted to the bulkhead to be more secure and accessible than being cable tied to the support for the engine surround as it currently is.

Can anyone please advise me on the type of hose to buy?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Hot oil resistant hose! Preferably with pre-made end unions. Be advised by a decent chandler or industrial engineering/hose supplier. On no account be tempted to use car heater hose or garden hose.

Agreed. Remember that if the hose fails or the lower end comes loose/leaks, you're likely to lose all your oil.

Tim

Already had that happen Tim! I removed the engine surround to clean up the engine and fit a new fuel pump so cut the oil pump loose from its cable tie, it fell over whilst moving the boat (having forgotten to re-secure it!) and ALL the oil came out, Luckily I turned the engine off in time and it didn't seize up...but I'm sure its caused some sort of damage/extra wear somewhere...just not catastrophic...

That's why I want a longer hose and the pump secured to the bulkhead so there's no need to ever take it off top access anything else.

If you have a longer hose, then, when you pump-out the oil (for an oil change) you will be leaving a much larger quantity of 'old' oil in the pipe/engine.

I wouldn't say "much larger", for instance a 1m x 10mm bore tube will only contain just under 80cc, in any case a decent self priming pump will empty the tube regardless of length and have just the same effect as a shorter one if the same sump drain point is used.