Thump Thump Thump

Hanzbebe

Featured Posts

I suggest two lines from a stern dolly, one forwards at 45 degrees, the second backwards at 45 degrees. The triangle shape then prevents the tendency of the boat to 'surge' back and forth as a boat passes.

A third, loose, line from the bow is then only necessary for keeping the bow close to the bank.

MtB

Haha!

I added a few white fenders I found on the front of the boat, which don't need to be there really so added two to side where mooring and its cushioned it slightly.

I don't mind interested nosey - but I don't like arrogant nosey.

I hate rude people and so far runners are the worst followed by cyclists on the towpath.

We must have been lucky (on the receiving end). Some kids obviously didn't know how to be polite, but a few minutes chat soon made it clear they were well intentioned. Some adults with little kids obviously knew nothing ("look at the pretty barge"), but were almost as thrilled as their kids when we invited them on board, either just for a look-see, or to ride through a lock according to where we were at the time - almost everyone said "thank you" when they left, or even better, pulled on a rope, pushed a balance arm or gave appropriate practical help. The ones that left a less welcome impression were those that just peered from a distance, but seemed to think it beneath them actually to speak or help.

Roger

The ones I keep a careful eye on, just in case, are the dogs who poke their noses in through the side hatch when I'm cooking, especially sausages!

Usually the owners are very apologetic, but I'm just amused, haven't had one jump in the side yet, except Millie and she's always welcome.

I love explaining locks to youngsters, and letting them help me thorough. They are always very pleased to have helped, and I get the parents to get them stand right at the end of the beam, the bit painted white, cos that's the best place to push, and I found with my kids if you made them keep hold of the white bit they didn't get close enough to fall in. (non lock side of the beam obviously!).

Sue

I think you're about to get lots of advice on how to moor ...

I'll begin: Ropes at 45 degrees to boat, not 90, and put fenders or tyres down.

Edited to add: pipped at the post .

2.5 inch Rubber tube fenders, and yes 45 degrees always works for us too.

Edited by Julynian

Ropes are at 45 smile.png

Have to get a few tyres - I think

People seem to be going past quite fast - I know there is some what look like abandoned boats nearby but still! Also the party boats gone by a few times in a few days. What a joy that was! NOT!

Are you on a canal or the river, it can make a difference to how you need to moor.

I would say that about three quarters of boaters have their lines too slack. The only time I'd use slack lines on canals is when I'm on a really short pound where the level could drop noticeably. You may also find that lines which seem tight at first, turn out to be a little loose an hour later, so go back and tighten them. You might also want to learn some good knots. I see some highly complicated and frankly bizarre knots on the cut. When I first started boating, I was shown a few mooring knots by an older boater with a number of decades of boating behind him. A couple of important points: always tie back onto your boat, not the shore; and make sure your knots can't tighten over time so that you can't easily release them.

I would say that about three quarters of boaters have their lines too slack. The only time I'd use slack lines on canals is when I'm on a really short pound where the level could drop noticeably. You may also find that lines which seem tight at first, turn out to be a little loose an hour later, so go back and tighten them. You might also want to learn some good knots. I see some highly complicated and frankly bizarre knots on the cut. When I first started boating, I was shown a few mooring knots by an older boater with a number of decades of boating behind him. A couple of important points: always tie back onto your boat, not the shore; and make sure your knots can't tighten over time so that you can't easily release them.

Here here! One particular knot worth learning is the Lighterman's (or Tugboat) Hitch AKA "back handed mooring hitch", see here, the advantages are that you don't need to use the end of the rope, so you don't have to thread that through anything when tying up, or unthread it when casting off, and you can cast off in stages, so you don't suddenly get carried away by current or tide. Depending on the diameter of your dolly, you need about a yard of line to tie the hitch. I learned this hitch via these forums only a couple of months ago, but now wouldn't, if at all possible, use anything else.

Another couple of points: not only tie off the line on board, but use the dolly away from the bank, then any wazzock who wants to cast you adrift has to come aboard to do so (you may notice the boat rolling); and it also helps to use a mooring chain for the landward attachment - that means the wazzocks (who may often be drunk) have to lean over the water if they want to cut the rope, and with any luck, even if they have a stanley knife, or similar, in their pocket so they can, they may well fall into the water. Poetic justice!

Another tip, fit a pram hood that covers your dollies, yes, that is also vulnerable to the wazzocks, if they carry a knife, but if they're drunk, deciding how to go about their vandalism may well be a challenge too far, if they can't see your knots! The advantages of chains ashore remain.

That advice is based on hard experience. We've only been cast adrift once, but I was still up: when the wazzock came to the front, he saw the lights on, said, "Oh shit!" and vanished into the distance before I could put on enough clothes to be decent and emerge to rectify the position. I had to use the centre rope to pull Milady back into the bank, but he'd just untied the aft line, not cut it, so it was just work to re-moor her again...

Roger