This just happened, oh bugger !!

Bazza954

Featured Posts

Engine has done 178 hours, not in RCR, but

I'm getting a new one supplied by engine people on Thursday. FOC.

In the meantime, beer and ice cream icecream.gificecream.gif in the Yorkshire sunshine

Edited by Bazza954

I'm impressed the way it has just snapped

Could bad alignment do that? On rubber mounts?

The mount seems to have lifted, it really looks like something got wedged in the prop..

I suppose another possibility is that the engine was dropped before or during installation. I just can't see that thing shearing off like that without serious impact, or very low quality materials, or very old engine/loose mounts.

In any case the engine needs balancing on its mounts.

This is my method:

Disconnect g/box output flange from propshaft.

Slacken rear stern mounts until weight of rear of engine/gearbox is resting on a scissor jack placed under g/box output flange

Adjust forward pair of mounts until front of engine is sitting equal height from bearers.

Waggle engine/gearbox to enable it to settle at its centre of gravity.

Adjust rear mounts until they are both touching touching engine brackets evenly.

Remove jack.

Then align gearbox flange by adjusting mounts in pairs, front ones by equal amount and same for rear. Don't adjust any left to right mounts differntly from each other.

It is a fractured weld isn't it? certainly looks that way if you look to the back there is a weld bead, and also along the top, admittedly it looks bad because there is no evidence of champhering for the bead.

Glenn

I thought it was cast iron but not really sure on that

Looking at it carefully now I'm on the laptop not the phone it looks like it was broken at some point and welded up again, followed by a failure of the weld.

I'm sure it was a broken mount, cast, which has been welded up to repair it. there seems to be a supporting web which has also broken.

and a weld around to the right of the flexible mounting bolt.

cast iron mount which has shattered and been bodged back together i reckon.

Edited by magnetman

I thought it was cast iron but not really sure on that

Looking at it carefully now I'm on the laptop not the phone it looks like it was broken at some point and welded up again, followed by a failure of the weld.

I'm sure it was a broken mount, cast, which has been welded up to repair it. there seems to be a supporting web which has also broken.

and a weld around to the right of the flexible mounting bolt.

cast iron mount which has shattered and been bodged back together i reckon.

Which is probably why a no quible replacementclapping.gif .

Glenn

Given the severe dislocation of the two parts of the foot after the fracture, I'd say the foot casting was under considerable stress prior to breaking.

In fact I'm not surprised it broke, being aluminium.

MtB

The guys on 'Car Talk', an American radio show said that Isuzu vehicles were the mainstay of their car repair business/workshop, that's how they made most of their money - because are Isuzus known for breaking down. Made in China, perhaps?

The guys on 'Car Talk', an American radio show said that Isuzu vehicles were the mainstay of their car repair business/workshop, that's how they made most of their money - because are Isuzus known for breaking down. Made in China, perhaps?

I saw a big lorry today loaded with parts ready to bolt on to the cars being made under the badge of Aston martin and Jaguar. How bad are these cars?