upvc double glazing

Featured Posts

Can't find too much on the subject, so started a new post.

Over the years I have warmed to the idea (pun intended) of the upvc windows I have seen on some boats. I think some look OK on clone boats such as mine, certainly no worse than the "bus windows" currently in place (but that is just my opinion.)

Aesthetics aside, has anybody any experience good or bad, do they cause any problems, are they worth the cost, is the boat a lot warmer in winter etc?

Many thanks.

We have upvc double glazed tilt and turn windows throughout. They have a wood effect finish which is reasonably convincing and looks quite good I think. The tilt and turn aspect is great in summer as we can throw the windows wide open - although the window sticks into the middle of the (widebeam) cabin.

I can't say how much better they are thermally as we got the boat with them fitted but but they're going to be a lot better than single glazed windows and I would expect them to be slightly better than equivalent double glazed windows with metal frames.

We have upvc double glazed tilt and turn windows throughout. They have a wood effect finish which is reasonably convincing and looks quite good I think. The tilt and turn aspect is great in summer as we can throw the windows wide open - although the window sticks into the middle of the (widebeam) cabin.

I can't say how much better they are thermally as we got the boat with them fitted but but they're going to be a lot better than single glazed windows and I would expect them to be slightly better than equivalent double glazed windows with metal frames.

True -- but overall, how much difference will it make? Consider the area of cabin sides and top and compare with the total window area. In a house the standard assumption is that the windows are about 10%. I suggest it's a fair bit less on a typical NB.

You also have a great big heat sink under your feet -- it's called the cut.

I put UPVC windows in my old boat they were caravan windows they were a medium oak effect colour they completely changed the boat no leaks no drafts no condensation and the boat cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Dont fit ally frame double glazing its crap I have it in my new boat the gap isnt large enough to create a good enough thermal barrier and condensation runs riot on the frames. Others will be along shortly but I have had all 3 and know what would be in my exsisting boat and they aint alloy

Peter

On my barge I have a large hatch/pigeonbox/skylight (5' x 6') the original was single glazed with 6 panes approx 2' x 1'3" and it was cold in winter and hot in summer. On winter evenings there was a steady cold breeze coming down from the windows and condensation was always a problem..
Last year I had a new hatch made with 6, 2'11" x 2'1" sealed unit double glazed panels vastly increasing the glass area, the difference is huge, completely getting away from the massive heat loss in winter, no condensation and it is cooler in summer although the amount of direct heat that can enter with the sunlight is large, a sunshade keeps it cool with very drop in light intensity.

I'm in the middle of putting in double glazed units over the top of the hopper windows. In theory that makes triple glazing in my opinion. But there can be no downsides to better insulated glass!

My only worry would be the look of PVC but if done well and on the right boat it could look good.

Thanks for replies. I expected a bit of negativity towards the subject TBH smile.png First boat I saw that had been done, I wasn't too sure, but having seen quite a lot recently, the idea has grown on me.

I am definitely considering doing this in future.

Cheers

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...

I know this op is a bit old but there wasn't a lot of opinions, security of double glazing not expressed, have any posters anything to add from there experiences.. surely double glazing on all boats is the future? has it not been developed adequately for nb as I see new builds rarely have them as a spec

My partly-informed part-formed opinion of double glazing on boats is that the units appear to have a fairly high failure rate, and this appears to have put a lot of manufacturers off, let alone buyers. I believe one company started producing double glazed units but stopped due to warranty claims?

Sorry, very sparse on detail as I can't remember the company name.

Personally I have the usual single glazed units and use a secondary glazing film in deepest darkest winter.

I can't speak for anyone else but the double glazing units for my skylight were made to my spec with extra thick glass both on the inside as well as the out.

It was expensive but It gives me confidence that if something falls on them they won't break.

I feel this thread needs a devil's advocate.

Fitting double glazing will improve thermal insulation, and prevent condensation - on the windows.

But there have been instances where preventing condensation on the cold surface of a window has forced the moist air to go looking for another place to condense. There was a thread not that long ago where a serious damp problem on a steel boat - with double glazing - was found to have been caused by inadequate insulation. The average steel boat is potentially full of nice cold surfaces.

I know of 5 narrowboats with Double glazed windows and in 3 of them they have had seal failure within 2 years due to the flexing / vibration caused when using the boat to move round the system. They are regular users though 500 mile plus per year mainly narrow canals.

• 4 months later...

Hi, Catweasel particularly, did you get any further with this ?. I am contemplating slimline double glazed windows, I found a website, buywindowsonline.com, I have not contacted them yet regarding testimonials . On my phone at least I can't see any on the website, do you know any recommended company's for slimline upvc coloured frame windows ?) also I have been looking at natural insulation, hemp and wool any recommendations /experiance of these products ?

Thanks in advance :0)

Hi, Catweasel particularly, did you get any further with this ?. I am contemplating slimline double glazed windows, I found a website, buywindowsonline.com, I have not contacted them yet regarding testimonials . On my phone at least I can't see any on the website, do you know any recommended company's for slimline upvc coloured frame windows ?) also I have been looking at natural insulation, hemp and wool any recommendations /experiance of these products ?

Thanks in advance :0)

Hi my windows were caravan windows and worked well do not use natural insulation in a boat it will get damp and cause rust on shell and staining/warping on wood panels stick with spray foam insulation tried tested waterproof and very warm plus good sound proofing

Peter

Hi Peter, I have not looked at caravan windows can you recommend a company ? My boat was born in 1988, I took out a window to reseal and found that the holes cut for the windows arent good at all 2 screws through the edge and pitting which had obviously happened a while ago and no rust had returned but the fit of the window is shoddy to say the least ! I like the idea of getting slightly larger window and start again. She is currently insulated with polystyrene which is gappy and let's condensation form. I did some research into having her spray foamed and was told it is not recommended on older boats and is very toxic, also I would need to rip out everything to have it all done at once which if I thought it was the perfect solution I would consider. Kingspan and the like also have downsides and are being called modern day asbestos. I am still researching and there is a lot of conflicting information but hemp and wool do not hold moisture they absorb and release. Wool naturally repels moisture, but I still need to find how this translates when it is made into batts.

Thankyou

Hemp and wool really will absorb moisture as they will form big 'wicks' like paraffin lights soak up fuel. They will not dry out as they will just sit between the steel and the lining. Spray foam and other foams are 'nasty' chemicals and I can well understand a reluctance to use them but they are the best, particularly sprayfoam (in my experience) Thing is that the temperature 'gradient' between a warm interior and an ice cold exterior - literally- in winter is all in about 4 inches or so below the gunwhale and less on the top and roof, this is very unforgiving and insulation that is ok on a house will fail on a boat and condensation and mildew and horrible things really will happen. For what its worth my recommendation is sprayfoam. I can't see why it would not be ok on an older boat.