A firelighting tip

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

If you've put in your newspaper and kindling (or firelighters if you use them) and the flippin' thing just won't go, all it will do is just smolder away, try this: keep a short length (a foot will do) of plastic tubing (1/4" diameter is enough) next to your stove. Then when you've given up with everything else, point one end at a smoldering bit of wood/newspaper/firelighter, and blow. Of course you all know that when you blow on a fire it encourages it to light, but this way is more directional, channels the flow of air to make it stronger, plus, most importantly, stops you getting a face full of ash and smoke! <_< Trust me, it's very effective. Just like old-fashioned bellows but more space-efficient and cheaper!

Just thought I'd share it with you as I have found it to be a bit of a lifesaver recently in the cold damp weather when the fire's been a bit reluctant to start sometimes.

mmmmm . .. novel.

I usually get the other half to do it so I have no problems at all!

If the fire is cold / damp we tend to lay some charcoal in with the coal/coke as this lights easier. Oh and don't forget to let the door warm up before closing it - I have broken the glass before by buttoning up a cold door.

If you've put in your newspaper and kindling (or firelighters if you use them) and the flippin' thing just won't go, all it will do is just smolder away, try this: keep a short length (a foot will do) of plastic tubing (1/4" diameter is enough) next to your stove. Then when you've given up with everything else, point one end at a smoldering bit of wood/newspaper/firelighter, and blow. Of course you all know that when you blow on a fire it encourages it to light, but this way is more directional, channels the flow of air to make it stronger, plus, most importantly, stops you getting a face full of ash and smoke! <_< Trust me, it's very effective. Just like old-fashioned bellows but more space-efficient and cheaper!

Just thought I'd share it with you as I have found it to be a bit of a lifesaver recently in the cold damp weather when the fire's been a bit reluctant to start sometimes.

A prettier idea is to use a piece of 5mm copper tube with the end pinched in with the mole grips. You can keep this polished. We have one at home and have used it for aeons.

N

Just throw the coal into the stove and then use a blowtorch through the ash pan door to get it going <_<
Yep, that works too!

- Our freind geoff uses a blowtorch to light his fire at home.

- Just hold it on the left overs in the grate for a bit, and its going. Thats it!

Also, many of the steamboats get there little launch boiler going with a premade BBQ bag. Petrol is a bad idea however.

Daniel

Liquid Oxygen.

Sorry, being a bit flipant. But I once read an artical about a competition held by some university or other, the object was to find the quickest way to get a bbq to cooking temperature and I think it was something like liquid oxygen that won.

Liquid Oxygen.

Sorry, being a bit flipant. But I once read an artical about a competition held by some university or other, the object was to find the quickest way to get a bbq to cooking temperature and I think it was something like liquid oxygen that won.

NHS is a potential source of the stuff... Some people need it to survive...

Liquid Oxygen.

Quickest way to heaven, I would have thought.

Do you know that NEARLY EVERYTHING burns in the presence of pure oxygen? Including cast iron. <_<

I built an oxygen pipeline in south yorkshire. We couldn't allow any combustible material inside it (eg we couldn't clean it with rubber pigs) because of the risk of the rubber traces igniting spontaneously. Once the fire had started the theory is that it would burn the steel pipe and would take on the characteristics of a thermic lance several miles in length. NICE !

I built an oxygen pipeline in south yorkshire. We couldn't allow any combustible material inside it (eg we couldn't clean it with rubber pigs) because of the risk of the rubber traces igniting spontaneously. Once the fire had started the theory is that it would burn the steel pipe and would take on the characteristics of a thermic lance several miles in length. NICE !

bet they don't tell the patients that. No wonder they banned smoking in hospitals!

(Oxygen) can also kill you if you have too much.

But you've got to breathe 160% oxygen, which you can only do under pressure

(it equates to diving to 66m on air where oxygen = 21%)

but you'd probably be narked by then, so wouldn't care

Edited by Moley

But you've got to breathe 160% oxygen, which you can only do under pressure

(it equates to diving to 66m on air where oxygen = 21%)

but you'd probably be narked by then, so wouldn't care

Hi Moley

Interesting where did you get the figures from?

Interesting where did you get the figures from?

Apologies to tomandsophie, but you know how we love going off-topic

It's basic diving theory, as taught under BSAC or SAA but not PADI (who are just about qualified to swim without armbands).

The air we breathe at sea level (1 bar) is about 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, 1% everything else. Every 10m of depth increases partial pressures by one bar, so at 10m you're effectively breathing 42% oxygen, 156% nitrogen. Oxygen becomes toxic at a partial pressure of 1.6 (1.6 divided by 0.21 = 7.6 bar = 66m), but nitrogen narcosis will set in before then (think laughing gas) - way-hay, whoopee-doo, I'm a fish, fish don't need regulators, so I can spit this thing out of my mouth and breathe water. That's why deep divers thin the air with helium, which has no effect on the body whatsoever, other than making you talk funny.

Apologies to tomandsophie, but you know how we love going off-topic

It's basic diving theory, as taught under BSAC or SAA but not PADI (who are just about qualified to swim without armbands).

The air we breathe at sea level (1 bar) is about 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, 1% everything else. Every 10m of depth increases partial pressures by one bar, so at 10m you're effectively breathing 42% oxygen, 156% nitrogen. Oxygen becomes toxic at a partial pressure of 1.6 (1.6 divided by 0.21 = 7.6 bar = 66m), but nitrogen narcosis will set in before then (think laughing gas) - way-hay, whoopee-doo, I'm a fish, fish don't need regulators, so I can spit this thing out of my mouth and breathe water. That's why deep divers thin the air with helium, which has no effect on the body whatsoever, other than making you talk funny.

can you light the fire with it?

Hiya!

I'll be boring and get back to topic. Sorry lads! :D

I've just installed a multifuel fire at home and your right about the newspaper bit. It just don't wanna go! I thought it was just the missus and her Irish way of lighting up, what was for her years ago a Peat fire. But I laid the fire at the weekend and had a devil of a job getting it to go. And me an old firster Scout, with all the badges.

The suggestion put forward by those who know about these things around here is that Newspaper nowadays has probably got some kind of antinflamable stuff put in it at the pulping process, making Warehouse fires less likely, also would probably cut down on the Insurance costs too! Um, Yes, the blowlamp does wonders! :P

Hiya!

I'll be boring and get back to topic. Sorry lads! <_<

I've just installed a multifuel fire at home and your right about the newspaper bit. It just don't wanna go! I thought it was just the missus and her Irish way of lighting up, what was for her years ago a Peat fire. But I laid the fire at the weekend and had a devil of a job getting it to go. And me an old firster Scout, with all the badges.

The suggestion put forward by those who know about these things around here is that Newspaper nowadays has probably got some kind of antinflamable stuff put in it at the pulping process, making Warehouse fires less likely, also would probably cut down on the Insurance costs too! Um, Yes, the blowlamp does wonders! :D

It is usually damp newspaper that wont light easily. No problem if it is kept dry in my experience. 451 farenheit for dry paper?

Hiya!

I'll be boring and get back to topic. Sorry lads! <_<

The suggestion put forward by those who know about these things around here is that Newspaper nowadays has probably got some kind of antinflamable stuff put in it at the pulping process, making Warehouse fires less likely, also would probably cut down on the Insurance costs too! Um, Yes, the blowlamp does wonders! :D

I have no problems with the traditional triangle method - are you scrunching your news paper up too much? Scrunched up too much means it doesn't really catch properly.