What colour is Waterways Recovery Group red? - WRG restoration, but not as we know it!

Featured Posts

I am currently in the process of a WRG restoration, but one the involves a vintage digger not a canal!

As such I would like to repaint the machine in a suitable colour.

By all accounts the colour was originally Woolworths 'Poppy Red' which I expect is what I want to match. But anyone who can shed any more information on the topic is very welcome.

The beast in question:

14kwh7a.jpg

Daniel

I am currently in the process of a WRG restoration, but one the involves a vintage digger not a canal!

As such I would like to repaint the machine in a suitable colour.

By all accounts the colour was originally Woolworths 'Poppy Red' which I expect is what I want to match. But anyone who can shed any more information on the topic is very welcome.

The beast in question:

14kwh7a.jpg

Daniel

Yup. WRG kit was always painted Poppy Red - a nice bright red when newly painted, but liable to fade (as most reds do). Woolworths paint was made by Macpherson's, so they might be able to help.

Have you asked WRG what they use these days?

You could see if your local Dulux trade counter has Woolworths Poppy Red on their database - they have a surprising number of other manufacturers paint colours on their system. Or if you can take a component off, and T-Cut an area back to the original colour you could get it scanned and paint made to match.

There is a Poppy Red on the BS colour chart at http://www.e-paint.co.uk/BS_Colourchart.asp (BS 04 E 53) but that looks much pinker than WRG red.

The colour used on the WRG website is RGB 205 7 8 , but I guess that's not much help for paint.

Or you could just use any bright red paint!

Edited by David Mack

Thanks. Doing some digging earlier in the week it seems both Macphersons and Dulux are now AxleNoble owned so I had hoped Duluxs PoppyRed might be the same, but like you, fear it is not. To me it looks almost half way to an orangy terracotta.

http://dulux.trade-decorating.co.uk/servlet/ColourAvailabilityHandler?name=poppy

But equally I don't really know what it should look like. The machine is currently a darkish shade as you can see, but that might also be down to weathering or repainting since it left WRG.

I tried to get some mixed up at BnQ last night but they don't mix Dulux at by branch and didn't seem to think their machine could take BS codes.

Daniel

Yeah, appears there may even be a Dulux mixer in Tippers BM in town.

Yup. WRG kit was always painted Poppy Red - a nice bright red when newly painted, but liable to fade (as most reds do).

Or you could just use any bright red paint!

Would you say it was a similar shade to a postbox red?

Its the colour as it was in the 70-80s is what I am after. I am sure I am over thinking it, but as I will be painting it part by part I dont to do that and then have someone tell me it should have been a totally different red.

Daniel

Does one of the removed parts have the original red underneath it ? If so this can be copied if the part is small enough, or a large flake could be chipped off and the colour copied or at the very worst you can match it to a colour swatch.

Handy on-line free electronic colour charts for BS and RAL colours at www.e-paint.co.uk/- as well as ones you can buy.

N

Was the beast originally boat mounted like the JCB back actor on Rabbit or is it a device that 'walks'?

It's a walking digger, I understand it was one of about three bought ex-demo from Smalley.

Surely with your employer you should paint it yellow!

I understand they where normally yellow from new, but given its history I think I would rather repaint it red.

Whilst red is indeed a colour that fades badly, the aforementioned postboxes seem to resist fade very well. What paint do the Post Office use?

Would be interesting to know, I expect they are repainted fairly often, but equally I have never really seen them being so!

Daniel